Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire size equivalent for 215/70/16

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Default Tire size equivalent for 215/70/16

Hey all,

So it's time to replace the OEM Yokohamas (I have the original 16 inch rims). I want to put a wider tire on it. What sizes can I choose - I know the ratio has to change but I am not sure what to...I would like to put 225s on it.

Also, any suggestions for tires? I was thinking Goodyear Fortera Tripletread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

FYI, we do mainly highway driving, so I want something with good treadwear.

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Here's what to do. Go to Discount tire's website www.discounttire.com.

On the first page where it says select your vehicle, put in your Outlander. After entering all the information you will get to a screen that shows the P215/70/16 tires and there will also be a link that says "View Optional/Plus size tires". Click on that link and it will show you all the other size tires that fit your Outlander.

The P225/70/16 tires will fit just fine on the Outlander. I replaced my OEM Yokohama's with BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Touring tires. I have 4,000 miles on them and really like them. Another good tire is the General Grabber HTS and yes the Goodyear Fortera's are very good tires.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
Here's what to do. Go to Discount tire's website www.discounttire.com.

On the first page where it says select your vehicle, put in your Outlander. After entering all the information you will get to a screen that shows the P215/70/16 tires and there will also be a link that says "View Optional/Plus size tires". Click on that link and it will show you all the other size tires that fit your Outlander.

The P225/70/16 tires will fit just fine on the Outlander. I replaced my OEM Yokohama's with BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Touring tires. I have 4,000 miles on them and really like them. Another good tire is the General Grabber HTS and yes the Goodyear Fortera's are very good tires.
perfect! Thanks!

Now putting a different size tire on won't affect any warranty issues will it? ABS, suspension, etc...?

Also, that will change the speedo a bit won't it?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 AM

This subject has been covered before but to make it easy here we go. 235/70/16 tyres fit perfectly and they bring your speedo to the correct speed according to the GPS. They dont affect warranty (just keep the correct load rating)or the ABS in fact it handles bumps better. You can still fit chains as well. I run Toyo tyres and they are quieter than stock and last longer. Yoko's lasted 25000k and toyo's have done the same with no appreciable wear. They stick to the road in the wet/ dry and snow.

2009 2.4 CVT duel feul

Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 AM

So, if I do go wider (prob) 225, I don't need to change the 70 ratio? I have been told that I might have to drop it. Just making sure since I have no idea about this - I just think this vehicle could go with wider tires.

I found the stock Yokos very mushy - I am looking for something firmer sidewall with good treadwear. Which toyos are you running?

For those of you with 225/70/16, did that change your gas mileage much? Speedo?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Go to the website below to see how much your speedometer will be off with different size tires. I did the calculation from P215/70/16 to P225/70/16 and it showed your speedometer being 1.98% slow, so with the P225/70/16 when your speedometer says 60 mph you're actually going 58.8 mph.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
Go to the website below to see how much your speedometer will be off with different size tires. I did the calculation from P215/70/16 to P225/70/16 and it showed your speedometer being 1.98% slow, so with the P225/70/16 when your speedometer says 60 mph you're actually going 58.8 mph.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Thanks...

Don't you find that was the case for the 215s as well? When I am going 120km/h, the GPS and fuel calculator says I am going 115km/h....THerefore getting these tires will make that off more?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 AM

I am running Toyo Open Country RV tyres 235/70/16. The speedo is spot on and the tyres are not mushy at all. Heaps better than the yokohama's.
going to the larger tyres would change the speed reading 6.1% for the better. At the moment your feul stats are working on incorrect speedo readings buy changing the tyres then you are effectivly getting better mpg. Check out this tyre comparison site .http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Thanks...

Don't you find that was the case for the 215s as well? When I am going 120km/h, the GPS and fuel calculator says I am going 115km/h....THerefore getting these tires will make that off more?
Mitsubishi calibrated your speedometer based on the P215/70/16 tires but that doesn't mean it's 100% accurate, so it's possible to be off even with the stock tires.

Based on what you said it appears mitsu errored on the side of caution by showing you going 120km when you're really going 115km. If my math is right that's a difference of about 4%. And yes, getting different sized tires will change how far your off. My suggestion is get the tires and then recheck it with your GPS.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 AM

Do the maths. If you put a larger diameter tyre on it will cover a greater distance per rotation . The speedo still thinks your covering the same distance per rotation but in fact you will be covering a small percentage more.So if you speedo reads 100kph but in actual fact you are doing 94kph then putting a tyre on with a 6% circumference increase will still show 100kph on the speedo and in fact you will be doing 100kph because of the 6% increase in distance traveled per rotation.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Tire size equivalent for 215/70/16