Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire upgrade and wheel sizes

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Default Tire upgrade and wheel sizes

Currently looking for a tire to replace the OEM Goodyears on 2013 GT, that can handle snow and off-road trips 1-3 times per year. Don't really need a dedicated snow/winter tire, (live in LA) so the only choice for the 225/55-18 is the Yokohama Geolander AT-S. This tire looks cool, and will make me want to camp more, but it's a bit of overkill for a city car and mpg will suffer.

I'm looking at the Continental DW-S, as they'll be far more livable and performance based for the city, and apparently handle icy conditions better the all-terrain Geolander. Problem is I'd need to go up to 235/55-18 wheels. Has anyone in the Outlander world gone to a wider wheel? Any issues or recommendations?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 PM

Have a look at Yokohama Avid Ascend. These really made a difference after stock Goodyear Eagle LS2.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 PM

Thank you! Those do seem good, though I was looking for something a bit more aggressive. I run Conti DW on my Eclipse and love them, so was thinking the DW-S would give the Outlander some extra grip and stiffer sidewall in everyday driving as well as deal w/ snow when needed. Do you use Avid Ascends year round in Canada? They're ok in snow/ice?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 AM

They are not that bad in snow but no match for real snow tires for sure.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM

before I bought my new outlander, I bought a set of toyo open country HT tires. Best tires I have ever had. Beat my yokohama set I had before that (not sure which yokohama tire it was)

Toyo tires are pricey, but I felt it was well worth the money. when my stock tires are dead (hopefully soon, they suck!) I will be buying a set of open country ht

Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 PM

My Mitsu dealer was able to get a great price on the Yoko Geolanders, so we went with them. I kept the OEM LS-2's in case the Yokohamas were too rough, but now they will be for sale. The Geolanders are truly better in every way. They are as quiet on the freeway, which is saying a lot, the LS-2s are extremely smooth and quiet. There is far better road feel, in a good way, and the stiffer sidewall helps cornering. I took them on a 6 hour trip and it was a big improvement over the Goodyears. No decrease in MPG either.

The Geolanders dealt extremely well in ice, snow and dirt too. Such a great fit for the S-AWC system. This is the perfect tire for the Outlander, I highly recommend to all looking to get the most out of the Outlander. Some pics here.

Attached Thumbnails Tire upgrade and wheel sizes-blkwings-48426-albums-ice-snow-566-picture-img-7260-2235.jpg   Tire upgrade and wheel sizes-blkwings-48426-albums-ice-snow-566-picture-img-7262-2236.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 10:42 PM

I had the Yokohama AVID ENVigor on my previous Murano. They were fantastic and by far the quietest tire I ever had. They were very grippy in rain and decent in snow (better than GY's).

Attached Thumbnails Tire upgrade and wheel sizes-1305246220-avid_envigor_cntr_gallery_710x399.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 07:32 PM

Toyo open country HT's were my favorite all season tire. Once my ****ty stock tires are gone, it will be the new replacement. more "meaty" than your average tire. Great in the snow

Open Country H/T | Toyo Tires

Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 AM

I have installed 235/55/18 Federal Couragia S/U tires on my Outie and had been running on it for a year now. Have not noticed any difference at all vs driving on original Goodyear LS ones.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:57 PM

Do the Toyo Open Country come in 225/55R18?

Quick Reply: Tire upgrade and wheel sizes