Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire wear - 2008 Outlander XLS with factory spec alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Default Tire wear - 2008 Outlander XLS with factory spec alignment

Is it me or does the factory spec alignment have too much positive camber? The tires look a little bit like this \========/. Or is it just an optical illusion?

Coincidentally my OEM Goodyear LS tires wore out on the outer shoulders after 2 years, and then the replacement Falken Ziex 912 tires wore out after one year (and I did a full alignment too when those Falkens were installed).

So now I have a new set of Kelly Navigator Touring Gold tires. I only had them for a few months, and I already can feel bad wear with my hand. When I put my hand on top of the front tire and move it back, I can feel sharp edges of the thread blocks.

Is this common with all Outlanders?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:21 PM

well, I posted a topic to discuss tire size just because my outlander's have lost tires like you said. Intringly, the allignment was perfect!!! One said it may because of the tire pressure (???) but I didnt agreed.
perhaps because de driving style???

Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Mine is mostly driven by my wife around town. She doesn't stop on the gas pedal much.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM

The OEM tires are garbage. In fact, most Goodyear tires are garbage. Our OEM Goodyears were wore out when we got the car with 15k on it.

We have Michelin Hydroedges on it now, and they appear to be holding up VERY well (as is the norm for Michelins).

My gut feeling is its the tires you're picking. Tires are one of those things that it doesn't pay to skimp on, and you should buy the best tires you can afford. Also check the wear rating and warranties on the tires (the Michelins for example are warrantied for 90k miles, there's no waywe;re going to put that many miles on it, but it's improbable that we'll have to put another set of tires on the Outlander). You can pay a little more up front, or pay a lot more as time drags on.

Being that you're in South Florida, you WILL experience more tire wear. It's because our roads are made largely with shells, coral, and things like that in them, so they truly are sharper and thus wear tires out faster. The extra heat of the roads doesn't help much either. So even if your wife or my fiancee were to drive their cars extra special careful in FL, the tire wear is going to be far higher than driving them harder in a place with different road materials (even being in Gainesville for a year, the roads are a very different composition and my tire wear went down DRASTICALLY).

Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The OEM tires are garbage. In fact, most Goodyear tires are garbage. Our OEM Goodyears were wore out when we got the car with 15k on it.

My gut feeling is its the tires you're picking. .
I think you pointed out rigthly. my outlanders tires are OEM Goodyear

I prefer Pirelli, BFG and michelin (most expensive here), but TOYO and Yokohama are very good also. Probably I´ll change to TOYO.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 PM

I replaced the OEM Yokohama Geolanders P215/70R16 on my Outlander at 20,000 miles. While the tread was down to 4/32, the wear was even and showed no problems with the alignment. I now have 11,000 miles on my BF Goodrich Long Trail Touring and there's very little treadwear and again the wear is even with no signs of an alignment problem. I bought them at Discount Tire and have both the rotation and re-balancing done free about every 7,000 miles.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM

My problem is that the tires are wearing faster on the outer shoulders.

The OEMs lasted two years. The Falkens lasted only one year despite their 40K mile warranty.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 AM

Hey ruski,

Why don't you share all of your english-russia links over here? Why only on LS1GTO?

Also, come to think of it... you've been rather quiet with those lately...

Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
Hey ruski,

Why don't you share all of your english-russia links over here? Why only on LS1GTO?

Also, come to think of it... you've been rather quiet with those lately...

Thanks for the good idea.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
My problem is that the tires are wearing faster on the outer shoulders.

The OEMs lasted two years. The Falkens lasted only one year despite their 40K mile warranty.
It's worth noting that some suspension geometries do in fact call for different camber angles. Have you had the camber checked at the same place each time, or have you had it checked at different locations? Sometimes when shops know they're on the line for it, "in spec" can take on a significant about of +/- leeway.

I've never noticed our Outlander to have camber issues like you've mentioned. I'll have to look into it more.

Quick Reply: Tire wear - 2008 Outlander XLS with factory spec alignment