Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Default Tire wear

Has anyone seen any issues with uneven tire wear on the OEM Geolanders? I went to my mechanic to have my tires rotated and balanced and they called me into the back and showed me that both front tires had what they termed as "excess wear" on the inside and the drivers side front also had some pretty dramatic wear on the middle and outdside of the tire.

As a matter of fact the tire wear in the middle of the tread on the drivers side front was to the point that they recommended after I talk to my dealer that I replace the tire if it isn't covered by warranty.

These issues were not at all evident when I had the tires rotated and balanced in November.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2009, 09:58 PM

Don't know if this will help because of the low mileage on my outtie, but I have the Yokohama Geolanders G033 (16 inch) on my 08 ES. I only have 6600 miles on the vehicle and have had tires rotated once. No uneven wear and in fact the treads look almost new.

Have you had any problems with the vehicle wanting to pull, or drift to one side? Also low tire pressure can cause wear on the sides because of the flexing the tire does when cornering, but if it was too low you should be getting a TPMS warning. What tire pressure do you keep them at?

Last edited by azjake; 04-18-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM

Tires are at 32 psi and pressure is checked monthly. No TPMS warnings and no issues with pull or drift. I had them rotated back in November of 08 prior to an anticipated trip and at that time my mechanic (I don't use the dealership) indicated that the tires looked fine.

The same mechanic brought the issues I asked about to my attention yesterday when I took my Outie in for a rotation, balance and alignment. They are concerned that I may have an underlying issue with the car itself that needs to be identified and fixed. Looking at my drivers side front you can see that there is absolutely no tread in the center of the tire and the outside and inside corners have significant wear. I missed the center of the tire specific wear and it was the wear on the outside corner that prompted me to take it in yesterday for work.

I only have 25,860 miles on the car/tires and have rotated the tires every 6,000 miles (my mechanics preference) as opposed to the 12,000 miles specified in the Yokohama tire warranty documentation.

Last edited by boomer4d; 04-19-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 PM

OEM tires are not known for having a long tread life so I suppose at nearly 26,000 miles it may be possible they need to be replaced. But, it sounds like you're getting uneven wear even though you're keeping the tires at proper pressure. I can understand your concern about wanting to find out what is causing it before you put new tires on and end up having the same problem. Good Luck.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 AM

my Yoko Advan ST started cupping at around 25,000km... they cupped on the inner side of the tyres.
at 40,000km, the outie felt like its got M/T tyres and rumbled, despite more frequent tyres rotations. every other alternate block suffers from excessive wear.
i think it is more of a tire design/material problem, than a suspension geometry problem.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:12 AM

i change my Geo factory tire after 26 000 km, buy Scorpion SRT ; )
factory tire is crap

Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM

I talked to the service manager at my Mitsu dealership today and his explanation was that what I am seeing in terms of wear in the center of the tread is a result of the design of the tire itself. Said if it was up to him they wouldn't be putting yokohoma tires on anything they sell.

As for the inner and outer edge wear, he said that looked like the toe on the car might be out a little bit and that it was typical to see similar wear on the Evo. I can adjust the toe and sacrifice a little handling or leave it as is and rotate my tires more often. My mechanic will rotate my tires every 6,000 miles free of charge if I buy from him so we'll leave the toe alone.

Looking like a new set of shoes for my Outie come Friday.

Thanks for everyones input, it's much appreciated.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:35 AM

I have a 2007 XLS 30000 miles with OEM Goodyear Eagles LS2 tires. I was in for a oil change yesterday and was told that my tires need to be replaced. I had them rotated last oil change 3000 miles back. There was no concern at that point. Now my front are bad with very low tread and the rear tires are almost there. Also the dealer told me that I need to have alignment done as he showed me the wear on the sides of the tire.

He suggested me the same Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires. I asked him whether he can get me the Goodyear Assurance Comftred tires which he agreed.

Has anyone used the Goodyear Assurance Comftred tires on their Outlander. I had them on my Galant and Corolla and I liked them a lot. They are much comfortable and reliable tires.

Any suggestions or inputs appreciated.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am also having problems with my stock Yokohama Geolander tires. All four tires have excessive outerwear (i'll post pictures later). I am gonna go to dealership tomorrow and see what they'll say. If it would be one tire or two then maybe it would have been some alignment issue, but all four tires have the exact same outer tire wear. Car has only 23,000 miles. I never had any low tire pressure warnings or anything like that and I rotate tires at dealership every 6000 miles. I am wondering if its a geometry/car design issue or tire design issue.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 05-24-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:56 PM

Have your alignment checked. As far as wear goes the Geolanders are a performance tire (130 mph speed rating) and those type of tires tend to wear faster.

I replaced my OEM Geolanders at 22,000 miles. At that time they were down to about 4/32 thread left, but the wear was very even. The people at Discount Tire where I bought the replacement tires agreed the wear was even and showed no alignment or tire problem except for the faster than usual wear.

For what it's worth I replaced them with BF Goodrich Long Trail Touring tires (same size P215/70/16). They have a 60,000 mile warranty and I now have about 3,000 miles on them and really like them.

Last edited by azjake; 05-24-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire wear