Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Torque converter/ tranny shudder?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 05:16 AM

I've got a 2000 Galant 4cly ES model. I just started noticing this shudder at about 30-35 mph, light load conditons, so I changed the transmission fluid by draining old fluid out of the drain plug, then filling with SP II. It didn't help. The car has 159,000 miles and I bought new, but had trans. fluid changed only once, at 35,000 at the dealer. A Mitsubishi mechanic is going to diagnose it for $100 to determine the problem. Is there a chance it could be something simple, like an electronic sensor or something on the outside of the transmission? I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a major repair, or this car may have to be parted out...tired of fixing stuff on it, but it's still nice enough to keep around.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:59 AM
Smile Give it time

Two points here:

1. It took my Mitsubishi Montrero 2002 a few months for an oil change to take effect. The oil has to soak into the clutch linings.

2. When you just remove the drain plug it does not empty the torque converter itself and it holds onto a lot of oil, so it is not completely changed. The non-Mitsi garage used pressure to blow the oil out, but the Mitsi mechanic said you are not supposed to do that. The only alternative is to change the oil two or 3 times and give it time. A couple of years later mine still shutters slightly on occasions but I don't let it keep going.

Note the Mitsi mechanic said the SPII oil is more slippery but that doesn't have anything to do with viscosity.

Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2015, 05:05 AM

See several other separate threads on this topic.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by kcollins812
I've got a 2000 Galant 4cly ES model. I just started noticing this shudder at about 30-35 mph, light load conditons, so I changed the transmission fluid by draining old fluid out of the drain plug, then filling with SP II. It didn't help. The car has 159,000 miles and I bought new, but had trans. fluid changed only once, at 35,000 at the dealer. A Mitsubishi mechanic is going to diagnose it for $100 to determine the problem. Is there a chance it could be something simple, like an electronic sensor or something on the outside of the transmission? I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a major repair, or this car may have to be parted out...tired of fixing stuff on it, but it's still nice enough to keep around.
Are you sure it's shudder??? Does it feel more like an axle wobble?? If a fluid change doesn't work, then it's possible the car has a bad inner CV joint on the axle. A replacement axle should cost about $100-$200, takes about 30 minutes to swap out, at least that's how long it takes me to do it.

The other possibility are bad motor mounts. You can somtimes see if they have cracks in the rubber of the mounts. But when motor mounts go bad, your engine can rock back too far and cause the axle to go too far out of alignment, which causes the axle wobble in an otherwise fine cv joint.

Inner cv joint shudder only happens under acceleration. Drive your car, then have someone else drive and sit in the passenger side. Try to figure out if it's left of right. That's the axle you have to replace.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:19 AM

I suppose it could be the inner cv joint. I'll have to investigate that possibility and report back my findings. I know if I hear and feel it shudder and I let off the gas, it stops immediately. And it doesn't really do it if I am on the gas heavily. Engine mounts are not the problem, they look good. thx

Old 11-19-2020, 08:39 AM

I have a 2020 Outlander Sport with 1800 miles. At around 1500 to 1800 rpm's I feel a shuddering. Above 1800 rpm's everything is smooth like it should be. Sounds like most of the other post I've read.
The difference being my Outlander Sport is only 6 months old. It seems to be getting worse.
The service manger at the dealer where I bought it, (we went for a ride), said that the transmission was just not knowing where to shift to. I just looked at him. He also told me that Mitsubishi doesn't fix things, they just replace the bad part. HUH?
Today I was backing into my long driveway...and it was shuddering in REVERSE. I didn't know that reverse gear has different gears? DUH?

I think Mitsubishi needs to step up to plate and address this issue.

Thank You
exxsquid

Old 11-19-2020, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by exxsquid
I have a 2020 Outlander Sport with 1800 miles. At around 1500 to 1800 rpm's I feel a shuddering. Above 1800 rpm's everything is smooth like it should be. Sounds like most of the other post I've read.
The difference being my Outlander Sport is only 6 months old. It seems to be getting worse.
The service manger at the dealer where I bought it, (we went for a ride), said that the transmission was just not knowing where to shift to. I just looked at him. He also told me that Mitsubishi doesn't fix things, they just replace the bad part. HUH?
Today I was backing into my long driveway...and it was shuddering in REVERSE. I didn't know that reverse gear has different gears? DUH?

I think Mitsubishi needs to step up to plate and address this issue.

Thank You
exxsquid
The Outlander sport doesn't have a traditional transmission. It has a CVT which uses a belt and cones to vary ratio's. Shuddering is actually common in CVT's as the belt is slipping a little, but it's still not acceptable. The service manager is correct, they won't take your transmission apart and fix it, they'll just replace the whole transmission instead.

I would pursue Legal action, most states have lemon laws. They have 3 tries to fix it, and if they can't then they have to buy the car back from you, subtracting for the usage of 1800 miles.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 AM
Default Not Sure...My wife feels and hears it also...

Originally Posted by gggplaya
Are you sure it's shudder??? Does it feel more like an axle wobble?? If a fluid change doesn't work, then it's possible the car has a bad inner CV joint on the axle. A replacement axle should cost about $100-$200, takes about 30 minutes to swap out, at least that's how long it takes me to do it.

The other possibility are bad motor mounts. You can somtimes see if they have cracks in the rubber of the mounts. But when motor mounts go bad, your engine can rock back too far and cause the axle to go too far out of alignment, which causes the axle wobble in an otherwise fine cv joint.

Inner cv joint shudder only happens under acceleration. Drive your car, then have someone else drive and sit in the passenger side. Try to figure out if it's left of right. That's the axle you have to replace.
I can hear and feel the "shuddering?" thru the steering wheel and my elbow when on the padded console cover. My wife hears it also when in the passenger seat. Neither one of us can tell where it is coming from. I wear hearing aids.
How do I get the dealer to look at the potential cv/axel problem, after he gave me an answer on what he thought it was?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2020, 09:45 AM

Thank You for the quick reply

Old 11-19-2020, 09:48 AM

It needs to be fixed one time to start that process...

Thanks for the reply
exsq

Quick Reply: Torque converter/ tranny shudder?!?