Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Toshiba/Phillips HIR bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Default Toshiba/Phillips HIR bulbs

has anyone heard of these bulbs? there supposed to be the closest thing to HID output with out doing a HID conversion. Straight plug and play 55 watt bulb in the OEM location. should i take the jump and buy them.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:01 AM

looks interesting. I may look into this later on. Both of my vehicles use 9006 bulbs.

I'd say go for it if you are unhappy with your current light output. Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:04 PM

I researched these before going HID. They look pretty good on paper. I went HID for the following reasons:

-Longer lasting. How many of us have gotten 5 years out of regular headlight, let alone a superblue, superwhite, high output, silverstar, etc. I have a Doge Ram that I bought with 11 miles on it. It now has 163K miles and has had HID's for about 5 years. I don't think they will ever break, but if they do, I can change what ever broke and go another 5 years.

-Color stays true longer on HID. The bulbs your looking at are better than most, but nothing compared to even the old cap and coil ballasts of HID.

-Less wattage equals less heat. 35W vs. 55W. Have you actually seen the wire gauge on the Outlander? Your home theater has bigger wire. I doubt it would ever happen, but have you priced the headlight lens? It would be crazy expensive if it was to yellow or melt from heat.

-Price. HID "done right" about $50 to $60 bucks. See thread under same name.

-Fun factor. Changing out headlights is not a DIY project. HID install is and it was F-U-N. Your mileage may vary.

just my .02

-

Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by mahicks3322
I researched these before going HID. They look pretty good on paper. I went HID for the following reasons:

-Longer lasting. How many of us have gotten 5 years out of regular headlight, let alone a superblue, superwhite, high output, silverstar, etc. I have a Doge Ram that I bought with 11 miles on it. It now has 163K miles and has had HID's for about 5 years. I don't think they will ever break, but if they do, I can change what ever broke and go another 5 years.

-Color stays true longer on HID. The bulbs your looking at are better than most, but nothing compared to even the old cap and coil ballasts of HID.

-Less wattage equals less heat. 35W vs. 55W. Have you actually seen the wire gauge on the Outlander? Your home theater has bigger wire. I doubt it would ever happen, but have you priced the headlight lens? It would be crazy expensive if it was to yellow or melt from heat.

-Price. HID "done right" about $50 to $60 bucks. See thread under same name.

-Fun factor. Changing out headlights is not a DIY project. HID install is and it was F-U-N. Your mileage may vary.

just my .02

-
+1. I'm upgrading my headlights (on my other car) to HID's for all of the same reasons. HID kits now cost as much as a pair of high-end replacement bulbs. It's a no brainer.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:56 PM

I thought about HID in my car but after reading forums here, its not that easy to do it on a 07 Outlander. its like this car was made to not have these kits. So i was looking into the next best thing and a simple Plug and play that i can do myself.

Last edited by cheech; 12-17-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 PM

I upgraded to the Phillips bulbs they are the best performance wise.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 AM

you can also try eurolite
i have them now and they work very well.

please don't use HID kits without retrofitting the housing as it will blind ppl

Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by lilaznviper
you can also try eurolite
i have them now and they work very well.

please don't use HID kits without retrofitting the housing as it will blind ppl
lilaznviper, Have you looked at the threads and the info on the HID conversions on the late model Outies? If not, I will save you the trouble. While stock HID from the factory for our models DO have a different REFLECTOR housing, it is not very different at all and it is still a REFLECTOR housing. There are posts and pictures available that show the differences in reflectors and the actual light output of stock HID vs. HID add-ons. You will be VERY suprised how well our stock halogen projectors do with HID's. I have not had a SINGLE PERSON flash me. There is a slight bit of bleed but actually less bleed than many of the new cars with projector/hid housings that I have looked at vs. my Outie mod. Also, Dealer HID mods are the same as doing it yourself and actually worse for other reasons. (See HID install posts)

Please understand that I am VERY aware of what your talking about. My wife bought a 2008 mustang GT off the lot and the first mod I did was Bi-Xenon HID conversion with some of the best components available. While it could LITERALLY light up a runway on Low beam and be seen from space with the high beams, it was absolutely the most dangerous thing I have ever done in a vehicle aside from unprotected sex while moving.

Long story short, Mustang HID's were taken off and factory put back in until I bought her projector housings. (A MUST for the Mustang, not really needed for the Outt IMHO)

Please don't take my word for it. Look at the data available. I am going to post a DIY with Pics and my neighbor down the road has factory HID on his 2009 for comparison if you would like to wait for my post.........

Old 12-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
I thought about HID in my car but after reading forums here, its not that easy to do it on a 07 Outlander. its like this car was made to not have these kits. So i was looking into the next best thing and a simple Plug and play that i can do myself.

What Problems are you talking about? I will be glad to help you if you want to PM me, email me, or start a new thread. The wiring is the same, it does take a little bit of work to do the mod, but I would not say it is hard to do or impossible.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
I upgraded to the Phillips bulbs they are the best performance wise.
Serpentor,
How do you like the color of the bulb in our Mitsu? I ask because these bulbs are available in our Highbeam part # and I would love to have a halogen bulb that closer matches the daylight bulb of my HID's. I researched these bulbs but was never able to see an actual photo of anyones vehicle in any car with these bulbs that really show the color next to an HID daylight source. I do not like the idea of the heat output and wattage pull from these bulbs but for random and sparse high beam use, I think these would fit the bill and save me from having to add another relay harness and ballast(s) under the hood only to have a similar color high beam compared to my HID's.

Quick Reply: Toshiba/Phillips HIR bulbs