Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Towing with Outie Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Default Towing with Outie Sport

I know it has been discussed, and I am well aware of the "recommendations" and options, etc. but I am currently looking to hear from current owners who HAVE towed with their Outlander Sport and I would like their feedback.

Anyone done it?

The manual states that the 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport "is not reccomended for towing" but does not state why. The overseas models all seem to have tow ratings, and rather impressive ones at that:

Australia's ASX w/ 2.0L Gas, CVT:
Max trailer weight w/ trailer brakes: 2,315 lbs / 1,050 kgs
Max trailer weight w/o trailer brakes: 1654 lbs / 750 kgs
Max tongue weight: 232 lbs / 105 kgs
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/4wd/asx/specs-and-features/specifications/asx/specifications

Europe's ASX w/ 1.8L Diesel, 5 Speed Manual:

Max trailer weight w/ trailer brakes: 3,086 lbs / 1,400 kgs
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/asx/specifications.aspx

Puegeot (same as Aussie ASX)
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/spec/make/peug/model/4008/peug12ei?view=full

So I'm curious why the Outtie Sport has 0 lbs rating?

I intend to grab a Curts Class III hitch soon, and I will be towing a Polaris waverunner, dry weight 500lbs, on an old ShoreLand'R PWC trailer, dry weight ~235lbs, for a total with a fueled ski of just over 800lbs.

Has anyone else pulled 800-900 lbs?

Last edited by Burtonrider10022; 07-14-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Look harder at other country's specs and you will find discrepancy, for example for the US the outlander roof capacity is 110 lbs (50kg) across all models but the australian website has a rating for 80kg across all models.

I like to think the US capacities are written based on extra caution.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 PM

Agreed, also, US safety specs are different than other countries, so that may cause some parts to get changed. i.e. the Aussies may require more rollover protection than the US so a bigger "roll bar" is fitted. But who knows, I'ma give it a shot unless someone can really LMK. I may even install one of the aftermarket Lancer trans coolers for added protection. I mean hell, even the lancer has a small tow rating!!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM

I guess Out Sport has at least same towing capacity as Lancer 2.0 CVT. Same engine, same transmission - why should it differ?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Strangely I tried to google some pictures of outlander sport/ASX/RVR towing.. I wasn't able to find one. Maybe worth checking with the other markets have transmission cooler on the lancers and ASX, does your outtie sport not have a cooler?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 AM

a CVT trans cooler seems to be pretty commonplace for the Lancer "performance" scene even here in the US so I think that I might buy one of those either way. RRM has a few for the Lancer, hopefully they fit easily Would I be better off with an Outlander (non-Sport) trans cooler? Do they even make an Outlander CVT?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT
Maybe worth checking with the other markets have transmission cooler on the lancers and ASX, does your outtie sport not have a cooler?
Unlike Russian ASX and even Outlanders, Canadian RVRs do have it:

Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM

look in your ownes manual. Towing is not ecommended for the Sport.

That's why I bought the Outlander, to pull my fishing boat.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
I know it has been discussed, and I am well aware of the "recommendations" and options, etc. but I am currently looking to hear from current owners who HAVE towed with their Outlander Sport and I would like their feedback.

Anyone done it?

The manual states that the 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport "is not reccomended for towing" but does not state why. The overseas models all seem to have tow ratings, and rather impressive ones at that:

Australia's ASX w/ 2.0L Gas, CVT:
Max trailer weight w/ trailer brakes: 2,315 lbs / 1,050 kgs
Max trailer weight w/o trailer brakes: 1654 lbs / 750 kgs
Max tongue weight: 232 lbs / 105 kgs
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/4wd/asx/specs-and-features/specifications/asx/specifications

Europe's ASX w/ 1.8L Diesel, 5 Speed Manual:

Max trailer weight w/ trailer brakes: 3,086 lbs / 1,400 kgs
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/asx/specifications.aspx

Puegeot (same as Aussie ASX)
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/spec/make/peug/model/4008/peug12ei?view=full

So I'm curious why the Outtie Sport has 0 lbs rating?

I intend to grab a Curts Class III hitch soon, and I will be towing a Polaris waverunner, dry weight 500lbs, on an old ShoreLand'R PWC trailer, dry weight ~235lbs, for a total with a fueled ski of just over 800lbs.

Has anyone else pulled 800-900 lbs?
Originally Posted by milliesdad
look in your ownes manual. Towing is not ecommended for the Sport.

That's why I bought the Outlander, to pull my fishing boat.

I'm aware of that. I am looking for real world accounts/input not what the book says.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Default Towing 1600 pounds with a 2013 rvr

I bought 3 month ago a rvr in canada with the cvt and when i bought it , i ask if they can install me a hitch and they told me yes , and mitsubishi dealer tell me that i can tow aproximatly 1500 pounds without any problems and i tow with it a 1600 pounds (dry weight) small travel trailer and it ride so smooth. I read in the owner manual that the towing capacity was of 0 pound but the hitch capacity is of 3500 pound and 350 tongue weight. I was realy impress how the handeling was nice and its a 16 foot trailer. Just install a small weight distribution hitch that fits 1 1/4 inch hitch and it drive perfectly ! Aceleration is good and braking too ! I had a 08 lancer manual transmision with the 2.0 l engine before and i tow a 1800 pounds pop up camper from canada to florida and all the way back to canada (3100 miles trip) and we were 4 in the car and it tow it much easier than i expected !

Quick Reply: Towing with Outie Sport