Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

tpms - when to use better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Default tpms - when to use better?

I was just wondering abour your opinions on when should tpms be used? I have a set of winter tires without tpms and set of stock wheels with tpms. I wonder if it benefits more to used tpms in winter than in summer. I live in winnipeg so we get longer winters (cold weather days) usually from 5-6 months. what do you think?

Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

If the car was equip w/ a tpms then you should have them on both sets of tires.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by judgfm
I was just wondering abour your opinions on when should tpms be used? I have a set of winter tires without tpms and set of stock wheels with tpms. I wonder if it benefits more to used tpms in winter than in summer. I live in winnipeg so we get longer winters (cold weather days) usually from 5-6 months. what do you think?
It would be nice to have them in both sets, would save some button pushing, but cost wise I don't see any advantage. I believe TPMS isn't mandatory in Canada.

I would suggest you use your TPMS sensors in the wheels that you use the most. If that's summer or winter is up to you.

If you decide to move them wait until you change your tires since they will have them open already. Also do some research to see if the TPMS will fit in your winter wheels if you're thinking of sending them to the winter set. They may not fit.

The best TPMS is to manually check your pressure every month or more often.

CN

Old 11-09-2009, 03:03 PM

i cant disagree to have them on all the time but money wise, I cant do it especially going to the dealer everytime I switch wheels. I might transfer my winter tires to my 16" oem with tpms wheels next winter, toss my steelies, and will buy aftermarket 18"++ wheels and tires for summer without tpms as long as my finances can keep up.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 PM

I was reading in a Ranger based forum and they were discussing TPMS in the newer trucks. I guess there is a trick out there where you can put a TPMS sensor in a wheel barrow tire to trick the system in thinking all tires are properly inflated. Mine is too old to have that system and we are south enough to have all terrains through the year and be fine. throwing it out there.