Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Turn off EVIC tire pressure warning? (not disabling TPMS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Default Turn off EVIC tire pressure warning? (not disabling TPMS)

Hi guys,
Got a new Outie 07 XLS, I'm not looking to turn off the TPMS completely, but I'm just wondering if the tire pressure warning is supposed to stay on for a long time, or if there's a way to turn it off. The weather is changing and last week the 'Low Tire Pressure' message kicked on when I started driving. I noted it, then tried to press the Info button to turn it off and view the other EVIC options, but it would not allow me to navigate away from the warning screen. The yellow warning screen stayed on for nearly the entire 45 minute, 30 mile trip and I could not view my mpg, trip meter, or anything else.

Is there any way to turn off/acknowledge the warning once it has come on? I'll adjust the pressure when I get the chance, but having to stare at that warning screen the entire time I drive (every time) is really annoying. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Default RE: Turn off EVIC tire pressure warning? (not disabling TPMS)

Yes, there is. Put air in your tires. The warning is on for a very good reason. It is unsafe to operate your vehicle with tire pressures low enought to cause the light to come on. That is the whole point of the warning. (dons flamesuit)

Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM

If the warning message has a little arrow pointing to a button in the corner, you can simply press and hold the INFO button to clear the warning out.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Fisherman

Yes, there is. Put air in your tires. The warning is on for a very good reason. It is unsafe to operate your vehicle with tire pressures low enought to cause the light to come on. That is the whole point of the warning. (dons flamesuit)
With the car being less than 2 months old (in for servicing less than a month ago when the dealership should have checked tire pressure) and the average temp having changed maybe 5-10 degrees cooler since I bought the vehicle, you'll have to forgive my conclusion that my vehicle has not suddenly lost enough tire pressure to become 'unsafe'. If the TPMS system is that touchy, its going to be a constant annoyance. It has been my experience in the past that when a vehicle tells you something is wrong because of a sensor reading, its a 50-50 chance that something is actually wrong, or that something is wrong with the sensor itself (at which point you get to pay the dealership to replace a faulty sensor). I will check the pressure when I have time, and adjust accordingly.

Brian360: Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. The button does appear in the top right corner of the warning. I had checked the manual, but didn't see where it tells you to hold down the Info button to clear the screen.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM

You are making a lot of assumptions to come to the conclusion that it is OK to continue to drive without adding air. I have had my Outie for over 6 months and have also seen temperature drops and have yet to have the TPMS issue a warning. I have a couple of questions for you to think about.

1. Did you check the tire pressures and if so what were they?
2. Are you knowledgible enough about tires and their design tomake a good decision of what level of pressure decrease is safe?
3. Is your 50-50 rational worthrisking being the 50 where there is actually something wrong?

Here is some reading for you in regards to how low the pressure has to go before the system kicks in. NHTSA Ruling

Old 10-03-2007, 01:58 PM

just my 2cents,

I never had any problems with the TPMS and the temp varies quite a bit here from 5-10 deg at night to 20-25 during the day....TPMS is not that sensible!

I would suspect that your tire is really down on pressure. I you should checkit as soon as you can

Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 PM

tire pressure drops about a pound for every 10 degrees of temperature.
tire pressure drops normally on all tires due to the basic porousity of tires.

if the lights on, check your tires. hell, the whole reason its there in the first place is because lazy people never did that basic check, then someones tire failed, and ford/firestone got the blame. In steps the government and regulates something as petty as this very basic detail about owning a car.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Yea most gas stations have air pumps and usually cost .25 or .50 cents. You could do it when you get gas and it will only take a few extra minutes. Also, what if you got a nail in your tire and its going flat? You just drove it 30 miles and blew it off.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 PM

WOW

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM

Running the numbers the 30% rule is 9.6psi low, or about 22psi in a tire. That's pretty low for a tire to run and could result in significant damage to the tire, let alone your safety. I would check the tire pressure ASAP, and would suggest buying a tire gauge to keep in your glove box if you do not have one. The system is there for a reason and ignoring it could result is in a very bad situation. Also it's a good idea to check your tire PSI monthly at a minimum, or when you check the oil/fluids. Just trying to help.
Rob

Quick Reply: Turn off EVIC tire pressure warning? (not disabling TPMS)