Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TPMS....Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Default TPMS....Winter tires

I would like to know if someone knows what to do with the TPMS during the winter time. I have 18"Wheel in summer and I would like to put 16"steel wheel for winter. If I buy another set of TPMS I will have to reprogram my system every time I change my wheel. Is there a way to reprogram those TPMS at home without having to pay at the dealer every time? And if I decide to not put TPMS on my steel wheel , is there a way to keep out the warning lite in the dash for all winter time? Feel free to answer and to give me your idea and your experience with the same problem. Thank You Pat from Montreal, Quebec.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Default RE: TPMS....Winter tires

Ha! I was expecting this to pop-up again.

Hi, I'm also in Montréal, and have had 1 full winter already. If you get a second set of Rims, with TPMS you will need to take the car to the dealer twice a year to have the system reprogrammed, at a cost of between $30 and $50, there is no way to do it at home. If you do what 99% of the people do, and go with a second set of rim withno TPMS, every time you start your car you will get a warning that you can clear by holding the computer button for acouple of seconds.You will also have a warning triangle at the top of the screen and a warning light in the dash for as long as the Non-TPMS wheels are on the car. Also When ever a new warning comes on while you are driving i.e. low fuel or the ASC kick in, you will need toclearthe TPMS Warning again.
BTW It's very annoying.
Many people have asked MMC if the TPMS could be completely disabled but so far they either can't or don't want to do it.
I'm thinking of removing the TPMS from my summer wheels and just keep them in a pressurized container at 35 PSI in my trunk

Hopefully with the larger number of Outlanders on the road this winter, and thenew winter tire Law in Quebec, that MMC will have more complaints and do something about it.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:56 PM

Hi there, I am in Aylmer, QC. I have had one full winter as well. I opted to not get the steel wheels.

First off, the TPMS sensors do not work well through steel wheels even if you were willing to make the investment $115 X 4 wheels, OUCH.

I bought 18" Toyo Winter tires that I get swapped on and off the stock alloy wheels. No TMPS issues at all like this. Of course, my alloys will suffer through the winter elements. C'est la vie. Although, painted alloys do well in winter compared to machined alloys. When my alloys are esthetically ruined, they can be refinished, or replaced. Knowing myself, I'll have a new vehicle by then.

TPMS cannot be disabled. TPMS in a pressurized container will not work either. The sensors are above each wheel in the wheel well.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 PM

I am so glad someone brought this up.
I just purchased a 2008 Outlander SE with the 18" wheels.
I do have a set of winter tires on genuine mitsubishi 16" wheels from an 05 outlander.
Other than the TPMS issue, will these tires work on my outlander?
Any problems with using a smaller tire?
I had my dealer try them on an 08 outlander, and the mechanic said it was fine.
Any comments?
thanks

Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 AM

I live In Gatineau Qc and I had one full winter tooand decided toremove my 18 inch xls wheels andtogo with16 inch steel wheels from Costco with toyo G02+ open country with no TPMS. I got use to it clearing the warning message,yes it can be annoying but it's better then paying and extra 400$ for 4 sensor andhaving to go to the dealerevery spring or fall toget the sensor reprogram.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 AM
tcp

+1 in Calgary. Press the button or give the dealer money. My finger can do a lot of pressing.

ORIGINAL: roach

I live In Gatineau Qc and I had one full winter tooand decided toremove my 18 inch xls wheels andtogo with16 inch steel wheels from Costco with toyo G02+ open country with no TPMS. I got use to it clearing the warning message,yes it can be annoying but it's better then paying and extra 400$ for 4 sensor andhaving to go to the dealerevery spring or fall toget the sensor reprogram.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Thank you for all the good infos that everyone as reply to my question. I will have to live with a "rattle" info right in my face every day of the winter time, I hope that the winter will be short this year. As anyone phone Mitsubishi to make a complain about that problem???
By the way, my Outlander is two months old, do you had any problem or failure with the VUS after one year? If you have any advice about maintenance or thing that I might look for....it will be a pleasure to ear it. Thank you !!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 AM

Roach, I would like to know if those steel wheel that you bought at Costco, do they fit well out the Outie?? I think the are universel?? Is it better to buy the OEM (factory) steel wheel....what is the major difference??? Thank you

Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 AM

I have complained to Mitsubishi, They said that they can not turn the system off, because it's a safety feature. What he didn't say is if it was technically impossible, or if they won't do it just for liability reasons.

BTW, you'll enjoy the handling on snow with the 4wd (assuming that's what you have) and the winter tires, it's a blast. My wife kept wondering how come I always wanted to do a run to the grocery store to get milk in the middle of snow storms, and how come it took 30 minutes when the store is not even 5 minutes from the house.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 AM

LMAO... That's awesome, I'll have to try that as soon as the snow hits here...

ORIGINAL: chenarm

I have complained to Mitsubishi, They said that they can not turn the system off, because it's a safety feature. What he didn't say is if it was technically impossible, or if they won't do it just for liability reasons.

BTW, you'll enjoy the handling on snow with the 4wd (assuming that's what you have) and the winter tires, it's a blast. My wife kept wondering how come I always wanted to do a run to the grocery store to get milk in the middle of snow storms, and how come it took 30 minutes when the store is not even 5 minutes from the house.

Quick Reply: TPMS....Winter tires