Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TPMS....Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
tcp
Default Info

Hub centric rings are usually only applicable to aluminum rims. I've not seen a set for steel rims(not that they may not exist, i just have never heard of them). The center bore on a mitsubishi hub is 67.1mm. You also should make sure the rim offset is close to the original. at around 45mm. There are a great many philosophies about not hub centering the wheel, but I'm sure you could do a google search. I wouldn't run a non-hub-centric rim on my vehicles.

http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

As far as the TPMS goes, I've been running a set of winter wheel/tires for the last two winters without the monitors in them. It takes a number of trips, once the winter wheels are put on, before the monitor starts indicating errors. Once it realizes there are no sensors in the winter wheels, you get an error message on the info display and a light stays lit in the dash. I've removed my dash cluster and covered the light with black electrical tape. I have to reset the error message at every startup and every time a message flashes on the info panel(like the "icy road") warning during a drive. That's annoying.

Mitsubishi can't turn off the message legally in the US and won't or can't do it in Canada...believe me, I've asked. You're stuck with that issue during the winter months unless you get the winter tires mounted and unmounted from the original rims in the spring and fall, OR you buy another set of sensors for your winter wheels and have the dealer reinitialize the system for the new sensors twice/year on your dime. Both of those choices are crap, so I live with the error messages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pr...itoring_system

Originally Posted by nikolai
Bringing up the old topic...I was looking for the winter wheels for my Outlander XLS 2009 and I have got 4 steel rims from Costco. They are "mutli-fit" but according to the book they will fit. My only concern is the diameter of the central hole. I was told by the dealer that it is bigger than on the original steel wheels from Mutsubishil (probably 5-8 mm bigger). I was told that since the wheel is not sitting tightly on the wheel hub, it may not be centered properly and as result - create [dangerous] vibration.

I have found this very interesting thread: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...=483453&page=2

So, should I be concerned about it? The primary reason for me to go with generic wheels for the winter was not so the cost of original rims ($70 from Mitsu vs $42 at Costco) to be able to throw away a damaged/rusted rim and easliy buy new pair almost anywhere anytime - without having to wait for the dealer to get them for me.

If there are parts that can be used to properly install/center the generic wheels on Outlander - could you please post a link to the part description or place that sells them?

Are there any parts that can be used to cover the hubs (some sort of cap?)?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Wow, glad I'm not the first, but you would think there'd be a work around by now, other than the "Push the button" every time...

Just went to Hancook 215/70R16's on steel rims, I believe they used a hubcentric ring adapter, will confirm when I swap the tires out in the spring. I was surprised when they used the stock lugnuts though... Time to 're-torque'

Drive safe, and keep smiling.