Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TPMS....Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009 | 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by jsrd
I replaced my OEM system and installed 3re Eye TPMS system (http://outlander.mforos.com/1350551/...maticos/?pag=2, post 23), at the moment, the warning ligth of the original system hasn't turn-on, reason why I believe that the new sensors are compatible with the OEM receiver on my Outie; reprogramming wasn't necessary to cancel the OEM TPMS
@jsrd: How long ago did you switch sensors?this looks promising.maybe I can finally get a set of dedicated winter tires w/o getting constant warnings.from what I can recall though, the system needs the TPMS sensor ID registered in the system, that's why it needs reprogramming. But maybe I'm wrong. as long as there are no warning lights that's fine by me. by the way, how much for the new set of sensors (4pcs?).

Old 09-16-2009 | 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by rcpax
@jsrd: How long ago did you switch sensors?this looks promising.maybe I can finally get a set of dedicated winter tires w/o getting constant warnings.from what I can recall though, the system needs the TPMS sensor ID registered in the system, that's why it needs reprogramming. But maybe I'm wrong. as long as there are no warning lights that's fine by me. by the way, how much for the new set of sensors (4pcs?).
Hi rcpax. My new system has 1 month installed and I haven't OEM warning light yet. For system with 4 sensors, 180 + shipping. Kit with 5 sensors by 200.

Saludos. . .

Last edited by jsrd; 09-17-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2009 | 09:46 AM

Hi rcpax. My new system has 1 month installed and I haven't OEM warning light yet. For system with 4 sensors, 180 + shipping, 4 month ago. Kit with 5 sensors by 200.

Saludos. . .
Sorry, I do not get it...You are talking about another system with its own receiver. I do not see how this system can affect the logic of Mitsubishi ECU which is still expecting the original sensors to be accessible. And since the original sensors have their own unique IDs, even if your new ones speak the same protocol (I doubt) - you would still need to reprogram ECU for the new IDs.

By the way, I have found an interesting paragraph on Bartec web site:

Most vehicles manufactured in North America have an in-vehicle relearn mode which enables the vehicle to relearn the TPMS IDs when the tool is used to activate the sensor. Not all vehicles may be placed into a re-learn mode (most Asian and European vehicles do not have this feature) and for these the TPMS tool must have an extra interface to the vehicle OBDII/CANbus to communicate with the vehicle engine management or Control Unit (ECU or EMU) and download the TPMS data. The Wheelrite TECH400 has this feature.

As far as I can see from the table on their side, at leat Outlander 2007 does not have the re-learn procedure (none of Mitsu cars does). Apparently this tool can reprogram the ECU. But this tool costs about $1600 so it is out of question

Old 09-17-2009 | 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by nikolai
Sorry, I do not get it...You are talking about another system with its own receiver. I do not see how this system can affect the logic of Mitsubishi ECU which is still expecting the original sensors to be accessible. And since the original sensors have their own unique IDs, even if your new ones speak the same protocol (I doubt) - you would still need to reprogram ECU for the new IDs.
I'm agree with you, but my point is that I did not need to reprogramming to cancell OEM system, my Out seems that it recognizes the new sensors, and I have not obtained any alarm of low pressure, and OEM sensor is out 1 month ago !

Old 09-17-2009 | 10:55 AM

Hi rcpax. My new system has 1 month installed and I haven't OEM warning light yet. For system with 4 sensors, 180 + shipping, 4 month ago. Kit with 5 sensors by 200.

Saludos. . .
So just that I'm clear, you didn't have to do any pin resetting with the MMCS? Just putting these sensors on the tires was good enough to turn off the warning lights?

If so, this would be amazing!

Old 09-17-2009 | 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nikolai
Apparently this tool can reprogram the ECU. But this tool costs about $1600 so it is out of question
Ya, saw that after mentioning it here. Definitely too expensive.

Old 09-18-2009 | 07:42 PM
Default TPMS 3rd Eye

Bad news rcpax. Today, I obtained the warning light for OEM TPMS.. but after 1 month!; now, I will go with my dealer to cancell it. . .

Old 09-18-2009 | 07:51 PM

Okay. How bad is the warning? Is it like the service warning? If you cancel it, is there a bulb or icon that flashes in the dash board? I'm thinking of switching to dedicated winter tires anyway. I just wish Mitsubishi would have allowed at least 8 sensors to be registered with the system, especially in areas where it snows.

Old 09-18-2009 | 08:13 PM

Yes, first the service warning, second, TPMS icon illuminated, no flashing. I hold push the INFO button and service warning 'turn-off', but the icon still light. I think that the best option, in the case of snow places, is to cancel OEM system and to install one aftermarket, because it is possible to 'handle' the alarm values to your convenience. And definitively, I will try to cancel the original system, because in my experience, isn't reliable.

Old 09-24-2009 | 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by roach
They fit really good and the guy check in is book to make sure the model of steel wheel's that fit the XLS and what it is it use the LS size and offset for the rim which is what my mitsu dealer is doing except I paid 34.99 a rim instead of 90 at the dealer ! Major difference is the price wheel is the same.
Bringing up the old topic...I was looking for the winter wheels for my Outlander XLS 2009 and I have got 4 steel rims from Costco. They are "mutli-fit" but according to the book they will fit. My only concern is the diameter of the central hole. I was told by the dealer that it is bigger than on the original steel wheels from Mutsubishil (probably 5-8 mm bigger). I was told that since the wheel is not sitting tightly on the wheel hub, it may not be centered properly and as result - create [dangerous] vibration.

I have found this very interesting thread: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...=483453&page=2

So, should I be concerned about it? The primary reason for me to go with generic wheels for the winter was not so the cost of original rims ($70 from Mitsu vs $42 at Costco) to be able to throw away a damaged/rusted rim and easliy buy new pair almost anywhere anytime - without having to wait for the dealer to get them for me.

If there are parts that can be used to properly install/center the generic wheels on Outlander - could you please post a link to the part description or place that sells them?

Are there any parts that can be used to cover the hubs (some sort of cap?)?

Thanks

Quick Reply: TPMS....Winter tires