Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

WARNING Light - New Winter Tires with TPMS

Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Default WARNING Light - New Winter Tires with TPMS

I just installed some new (used) Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice on my 2009 Oulander. The tires were rimmed, balanced and came with tire pressure monitoring sensors (TPMS) already installed. Once the tires were on, I received a warning light on the dash.

Thought it might be 1 of 2 things:
1) The bolt pattern on the new (used) rims is not exactly the same as the bolt pattern on my alloy factory tires with my all seasons; or
2) The TPMS in the winter tire rims is setting off the warning light.

Can anyone provide some input on this???

Old 11-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Figured it out...because the tires I bought with the TPMSs already installed are from a GM car, the TPMSs are not compatible with Mitsubishi cars. So, I guess no TPMS for the winter.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 PM

Going through this right now. 2011 Lancer EVO MR. Ordered winter tires and rims with TPM sensors installed in the rims. I was told by Tire Rack that even though the sensors are compatible with the Mitsubishi TPM system I would have to go to the dealer and have them "tune" the new sensors to the TPM system. I assume that the same will have to be done when I put the summer tires back on. This is a royal pain and should be something I could do within the customer accessible system. I could do this on my Audi and VW.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:42 PM

I spoke with my Mitsubishi dealer and also Mitsubishi customer service. I am not a happy camper.

2011 Lancer EVO MR. Winter tires required. So I called Tire Rack and purchased 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks, nice rims and Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors. Unfortunately when you change tire sensors on a Mitsubishi the system has no way to recognize new sensors. This requires a trip to the dealer to get the new sensors calibrated. Mitsubishi service this as a $239 charge, 2.something hours. This procedure has to be repeated when the summer tires are reinstalled. $500/year.

This is the first car I have owned with TPMS that the car could not "learn" new sensors. Even my 2004 VW Touareg could learn new sensors. I'm not doing it, I'll live with the warning for the winter. Disappointed in Mitsubishi.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:45 PM

Yes the sensors need to be "learned" by the wireless control module via a scantool. The dealer should only charge a hour labor at most to do this unless there is an issue with the sensors, then the clock is rolling. I have seen this a million times with sensors from discounted tire shops. The guy making 8 dollars an hour breaks the sensor off and then the shop buys a sensor that is incorrect, installs it, then sends them to the dealer for programming that fails a bunch of times, then the dealer has to dismount the tire to find the incorrect sensor installed, then the dealer is stuck dealing with an unhappy customer that saved a whopping 100 dollars to turn around and spend hours and gas and frustration over it. If the dealer charged 200 dollars to program them wouldnt it be cheaper just to have a good shop mount and balance the tires on the factory wheels and save the cost of the new wheels and sensors?