Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transfer case and differential oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 AM
tcp
Default Transfer case and differential oil change

We've hit 30k kms on our 2007 LS AWD and I figured I'd change the differential and transfer case fluid. Pretty happy I did as the stuff in there was black with tiny metal flecks throughout. Not sure when mitsu specs a change, but after break-in seems right to me.

The procedure is quite simple and requires a 22mm wrench and a 10mm Hex wrench. The rear uses the hex wrench as a drain and the 22mm for refill (0.5liters). The transfer case uses the 22mm unit for both drain and fill (0.54liters)l. The spec is for an 80wt fluid in the transfer case and 90wt in the differential.

I used Redline 75w140 for both, not because I'm hard on the vehicle, but because that was the only Redline fluid I could easily get locally. The cold number is still flows better than a straight 80 weight and, with a 140 high temp rating, heat should never be an issue. This high quality synthetic should last a long time.

The hardest part is refilling as the fill holes are both obstructed by frame members or drive shafts. I used an 80cc syringe with a hose on the end to get the fluid back in. A bit tedious, but worked fine.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM

TCP, can you confirm these are the transfer case fill and drain points.

My 2009 seems to have the fill as a 17mm bolt and the drain as a 10mm hex head - only had a 3/4" (9.54mm) hex from a previous vehicle on hand so didn't do the service.
I didn't see any 22mm heads unless you are talking about the small outer rim of the drain fastener.
This image looks like the description in the service manual section 00-67.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 PM
tcp
Default looks about right

it's been a year, but those look about right. I would open the top one first to make sure you can refill once you open the drain. once you open the top, you can dip your finger in and make sure you're in the right fluid. not sure why mine was 22mm, unless it's sign of my mind going and it was actually 17mm.

Originally Posted by nesser
TCP, can you confirm these are the transfer case fill and drain points.

My 2009 seems to have the fill as a 17mm bolt and the drain as a 10mm hex head - only had a 3/4" (9.54mm) hex from a previous vehicle on hand so didn't do the service.
I didn't see any 22mm heads unless you are talking about the small outer rim of the drain fastener.
This image looks like the description in the service manual section 00-67.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by tcp
it's been a year, but those look about right. I would open the top one first to make sure you can refill once you open the drain. once you open the top, you can dip your finger in and make sure you're in the right fluid. not sure why mine was 22mm, unless it's sign of my mind going and it was actually 17mm.
It looks like the rear differential fill bolt is 22mm. I just had the fluid swapped out at a local garage because I couldn't get the vehicle level enough for my liking. Time to invest in a proper floor jack for this vehicle and 4 axle stands.

Details and photos can be found on my website:
http://amsoil.nesser.org/2011/07/200...transfer-case/

Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Does this (diff fluid) only apply to AWD Outlanders?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
Does this (diff fluid) only apply to AWD Outlanders?
Yes, it's for AWD vehicles.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:03 AM
Default It's 24mm not 22mm

Just replaced the differential fluid of my 2007 Outlander XLS. Actually the fill bolt is 24mm not 22mm.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by nesser
It looks like the rear differential fill bolt is 22mm. I just had the fluid swapped out at a local garage because I couldn't get the vehicle level enough for my liking. Time to invest in a proper floor jack for this vehicle and 4 axle stands.

Details and photos can be found on my website:
2009 Mitsubishi Outlander Differental & Transfer Case ? Chris Ness ? Amsoil Independent Dealer
Just did this on my 2012 3.0l. Just a couple notes that may be helpful to anybody doing this to theirs.

Transfer case: Drain plug is 10mm hex bit. Fill plug is 17mm bolt. To access the fill bolt, I needed to use a 17mm socket with a swivel on the 1/2" ratchet. I don't think I would be able to access the bolt without the swivel

Differential: Drain plug is a 10mm hex bit (same as transfer case). Fill bolt was 24mm. For the fill bolt I needed a box end wrench. You will not fit a socket in there.

A transfer pump of some kind is absolutely necessary.

For whatever difference it makes, I used Amsoil severe gear 75w 110.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:26 PM

Does anyone have any idea why AMSOIL doesn’t list a gear oil for the 2011 3.0? If I look up the 2010 you can apparently use anything. Both years call for 80 and 90 weight GL5.

Last edited by kev994; 10-28-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:13 PM

did you guys replace the washers on the plug, mitsu uses a different washer on the diff fill and drain plugs, i have not had a dealer parts guy patience enough to order me the 4 different washers (2 diffs fill + drain plugs) over the phone or email.

Quick Reply: Transfer case and differential oil change