Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transfering mp3 to music server

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:38 AM
Default RE: Transfering mp3 to music server

ORIGINAL: rdenis

If someone tells me what to do I am willing to give this a try. I have the time to do it.
Here is my suggested attack plan:

1. You need a 2.5" to3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812203012

2. Connect it to a working PC,power onthe computer and enter BIOS setup by pressing Del key. Check to see if you're much lucky thanopusredx. If the bioscould detect the drive, then game over

3. Try hdd-tools software (Repair Station ) first.
You need pay special attention to the Special requirements section, http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/howto/
I think it perfers a not-so-new Intel system without RAID.

4. If you successfully removed the ATA password, then you need another tool to clone the hard disk.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832200003

Acronis True Image can handle Unix/Linux and Windows partions. I bet the this device runs on Linux.

PS:

Please take detailed pictures about the Nav system mother board. We need to know its platform to do further hacks.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 PM

I've not totally given up on the whole upgrade and putting files directly on the drive but for now I've come up with a good solution for myself. I've been burningMP3's onto CD-RW'swith a freeware tool called Burrrn from http://www.burrrn.netwhichallows you to edit the CD-Text that shows up correctly in the MMCS without the need for GraceNote. This has worked for me with my iTunes tracks as well as some newer CD's that the included GraceNote software doesn't have, all though I have to rip and re-record to get the names in it is still faster then naming them all through the MMCS interface. Only thing missing from the software is support for something like GraceNote over the web but since Burrrn is freeware you can't expect too much. Also once I record them to the media server I just erase the CD-RW and record more tracks. There is other software out there that can get CD-text from the web and record but for freeware I’m happy.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Good idea on using the CD-RWs with CD-Text. It'll take a LONG time to get all my music on there, but I suppose burning and ripping one CD per day would be reasonable.

I suspect that even if we unlock the hard drive, we'll have a big hurdle in figuring out the file format and database format, etc. that the MMCS uses anyway. My main goals are to be able to: (1) backup the data on the HDD in case it crashes (hard drives, automotive grade or not, tend to have high failure rates... and I sure don't want to pay mitsubishi $xxx to repair it out of warranty in the future nor lose all my data); (2) Increase the capacity of the hard drive because there really isn't much reserved for the music server; (3) Just see if we can figure out how it works -- i.e. modify certain files to get rid of the stupid boot-up animation, disable DVD-in-motion, change the navi voice, the ideas are endless! Then again, I'm optimisitc.

rdenis, did you get anywhere with the unlocking software? My friend and I didn't have all the tools we needed to watch the data bus, so thats pushed off a couple more weeks yet ... sigh ... We need to order a connector from digi-key. It figures that we had over $5000 worth of test equipment to perform the tests, yet we get stuck on a part that costs probably less than $2.00 to hook it all up! hahaha. We did learn a lot about the DRLs in the 08 Lancer, but that's off topic for this forum.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:12 AM

No progress to report - I forgot hockey and soccer started this weekend for the kids so the time I thought I was going to have mysteriously disappeared....that said watching two year olds kick soccer ***** around is about one of the funniest things I have ever seen!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Roq

Before you do *ANY* work on the drive you need to make an image of it or you will risk losing data/becoming inoperable. Once you have an image of the drive you can do whatever you want with it and if you can't figure it out then reload the image. In fact, I would take 2 images of it, just to be safe. Much faster then dealing with a lengthy warranty process and not having *ANYTHING* function on your screen (radio, nav, sirius, music server, etc).

If I had to guess there is going to be multiple partitions consisting of the boot partition, navigation, and a 3rd (probably around 5GB) for music. The main goal here is going to be to upgrade the partition size of the music server to be larger then the current 5 or 6 GB. Secondary goal would be to learn the file structure and format that the files are in. Also find out if it will play mp3's (We already know that it is capable of playing MP3's but chooses not to copy them to the music server for copyright issues...However I doubt there is anything in place to protect against you manually placing mp3 files on the server, unless they only search for like mp4's or whatever their proprietary compression is. In fact now that I think about it this is probably the case, but maybe we'll get lucky).

I'm actually an IT guy but since I just bought my Outlander less then a week ago I'm a little hesitant to be opening it up already However I drive 30,000 miles a year at least so it won't be long till I'm around 50k and may just give this a try heh =) Best of luck! If you guys figure it out I'll be one of the first to do this mod!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Agreed -- however before we can make an image of the drive, it must be unlocked. As my main goal is (1) backup the data, that includes making a full drive image and storing it in a safe place (ah the simple powers of the linux 'dd' command) -- then imaging that to a new drive (and possibly relocking the new drive w/ the same password) to make sure the MMCS isn't tied to the serial number of the drive or any weird tricks like that I am a computer/software engineer, so I have a lot of embedded hardware and software/firmware experience as well... hence the methods I'm taking of literally sniffing the data pins on the ATA connector. Of course, if one of those software-based brute force options works for someone else willing to try it, then the job gets exponentially easier

Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Roq

Before you do *ANY* work on the drive you need to make an image of it or you will risk losing data/becoming inoperable. Once you have an image of the drive you can do whatever you want with it and if you can't figure it out then reload the image. In fact, I would take 2 images of it, just to be safe. Much faster then dealing with a lengthy warranty process and not having *ANYTHING* function on your screen (radio, nav, sirius, music server, etc).
I understand your concerns. However, you cannot clone the original drive without removing or finding out its ATA password that makes it invisible from BIOS.
So, the 1st step is to remove the password. Then, you can clone as many images as you wish.

If I had to guess there is going to be multiple partitions consisting of the boot partition, navigation, and a 3rd (probably around 5GB) for music. The main goal here is going to be to upgrade the partition size of the music server to be larger then the current 5 or 6 GB.
It's possible it consists of more than one partition. I think 2 is more likely. I don't see why they need 3 partitions .

Secondary goal would be to learn the file structure and format that the files are in. Also find out if it will play mp3's (We already know that it is capable of playing MP3's but chooses not to copy them to the music server for copyright issues...However I doubt there is anything in place to protect against you manually placing mp3 files on the server, unless they only search for like mp4's or whatever their proprietary compression is. In fact now that I think about it this is probably the case, but maybe we'll get lucky).
I don't think they really bother to reinvent the wheel and make it proprietary, which'll only incresae the cost and make a new recipe of bugs. In fact, I think it the other way. It is very likely a Linux system. And we may find some open source programs under GPL inMMCS which requiresMitsu to pulicize its source code.

I'm actually an IT guy but since I just bought my Outlander less then a week ago I'm a little hesitant to be opening it up already However I drive 30,000 miles a year at least so it won't be long till I'm around 50k and may just give this a try heh =) Best of luck! If you guys figure it out I'll be one of the first to do this mod!
Haha, another IT guy picked this car[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 AM

Not that it matters to this thread but I'm an IT guy as well [sm=smiley14.gif]

Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 AM

Well than that makes three IT guys.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Roq

This should be easy then! Apparently the outlander is the new IT guy car We have to carry our equipment around somehow (and look good doing it)!

Quick Reply: Transfering mp3 to music server