Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transmission warranty potentially voided

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 PM

McClinton Chevrolet/Mitsubishi--Parkersburg W.V.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM

Wow.....this one is messed up.

I bought a 09 Outlander V6 4WD and the transmission fluid is definitely red. I checked it immediately after buying it. I had the dealership check it at one point as well, and said it was fine.

Keep us posted on this.....
Good luck man.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 PM

I changed my trans fluid just last summer using genuine mitsu fluid by the outside mechanic. The Fluid was red. I have a 07 XLS.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 PM
tcp
Default They are wrong

I have a 2007 ls with the 3l 6speed auto. The correct fluid for that transmission is Diaqueen J2 and NOTHING else. If they showed you a green fluid, they are incorrect. Diaqueen J2 is made specifically for the Jatco transmission that is in your outlander. Buy a liter of the Dia J2 directly from that dealer(that **** is very expensive - up to $20/bottle). Take out your manual and show them the specification for your car- diaqueen J2. Have the service manager confirm that the fluid in the bottle is what you need to have for your car. Open the bottle in front of him and pour it over his head. He'll look like he's bleeding. J2, the correct fluid for your car, is RED. Never green.

Changed or not, they are lying to you.

This:

http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/AT/JF613E.html

is the transmission in your car. Come armed with information and make them eat their words. I've checked my fluid many times and it came from the factory with RED fluid.

Edit: After some more digging, it appears there is now a Diaqueen J3 out there that is specified for this transmission. I have no idea what the color of that is but J2 (what originally came in your car) is red. They may be showing you green J3.:

http://jaytec.jp/eng_multi_atf.htm

http://jaytec-lubricants.com/index.p...roducts_id=234

Last edited by tcp; 12-07-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 AM

Wow....thank you all for your research and comments..I am up late worrying about this and all of your support, research and comments are helping ease my mind.... have learned more than I'd ever think I needed to know about this ATF
Tcp: I think you are really on to something..I will buy J2 and do exactly what you said.

Like I said in an earlier post I called other dealership service centers who all confirmed what you are saying....J2= light red

I am blown away that
1-this dealership has not had another 07' in for service with red ATF.
2-that when I first took my car in there they hooked it to computer it read transmission malfunction, they call and tell me I need a new one and that I am covered under warranty.
3-the next day after checking fluid they call and say I am not covered under warranty...new transmission would be $6k...b/c fluid is contaminated and not green and after asking questions about changes and learning that I had not...they said they would send sample off for testing and it would take one week. They said my car not safe to drive (even though it drives most of the time perfectly fine and was only slightly hesitating every once in awhile btw 2 & 3 gears-I was simply checking it out.)
4- two days later they still hadn't sent sample out...they called and said...hey let's just flush all this wrong fluid out...and put the right stuff in...see if that fixes the problem...and it will cost $275.. It's good news...you should be happy...
5-in the meantime I had started all this research on green vs red...your forum, other dealers, local transmission shops....I tell my dealer the findings...and they basically tell me I am wrong..they finally sent the sample off..and after couple of suggestions on forum, others to go ahead and flush system I told them to go ahead....what could it hurt to replace fluid anyway as I had neglected to do so...only I was concerned with what they would be putting back in it...they assured me the right stuff and told me it would take a couple hours and I would have my car back and it would be fine...I hope I didn't make a mistake in doing this...I didn't hear back from them to pick it up so I called and they decided my car needed to drain overnight???
6-unfortunately I live and work 1 hour from dealership...Which has made this more complicated...
7-In summary: colored ATF aside....wth is really wrong with transmission (if anything)...transmission malfunction on a computer could be anything....is it the fluid? Is it something else?...their means to discovery on this and what we have gone through leaves me completely untrusting of them and utterly confused....I feel at their mercy and they may have flushed their evidence down the drain...

Last edited by Wolfechica; 12-08-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Default Latest Update

I spoke with the dealership yet again today as I am at work and asked if they could open up a bottle of their DiaQueen J2...They had a can of it and said it is green as Kool-aid.

I called another dealership and they said DiaQueen J2 is red just like all of you. Is their a difference that my car is 4WD?

I am so confused. I don't want to make a big deal out of this if it isn't, but this is crazy.

Dealership said that if the green is topped off with as little as 4 ounces of any other fluid than DiaQueen J2 that it will turn it red and it will void the warranty. They are saying that all of this is coming from Mitsubishi factory direct.

My transmission fluid could have been topped off at any one of my 25 oil changes in the past 4 years and I could be screwed if this flushing thing doesn't pan out. I will know more hopefully later today. The sample won't come back probably till next week.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

Sounds like a bunch of crap. Either the DiaQueen J2 is red or green. I would be really pissed if I was you. I would try to find the time and purchase a container of DiaQueen J2 and bring it to the dealer unopened. Then open in up right in front of the service manager and a mechanic. If you have the funds to waste, you could also purchase a container of DiaQueen J3 and see what color it is. The bottom line is that you need a definite answer and the use of your Outlander back. So spending $40 on the fluids might help you get to the bottom line faster and get this crazy issue resolved. I wish ya the best of luck.

I also read from what tcp posted in the links that the replacement trans fluid is DiaQueen J3.

confusing.......

Old 12-08-2010, 09:00 PM

i just changed my trans fluid DiaQueen J2 is RED (07 outlander) as far as J3 who cares thats not what was used in the car in 07 !

Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Default Finally

Well....the service dept finished the flush and tested the transmission and all is well so far....picked up car tonight.

Dealer said my results on my fluid came back and that it was 100% the right fluid for my car and that I had no contamination. They apologized and said that they have discovered there is red diaqueen J2..... They however put green back in my car.

They discounted the flush bill and when I went to my car they had detail cleaned it for me.

The hang up for this whole thing for them was I think they truly felt I had put regular over the counter fluid in my car and went to extreme measures to the point they said it was unsafe to drive car and that I needed whole new transmission rather than simply changing the fluid right from the beginning....Either that or they thought I would fall for the magic test tube fluid color difference.....I guess it's a bit sad that people can't believe what each other say anymore....if they only believed what I told them from the very beginning that I hadn't changed my fluid ever and was experiencing minor hesitation every once in awhile....the blood red fluid would make sense- this car needs new fluid.....

My car has 74k miles.....if I still have it when it hits 98k....you better bet I get a fluid change...

Thank you all very much.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 PM

I hope it works out for you. I think I'd have to see the container with green fluid with ATF-J2 printed on the side.

Quick Reply: Transmission warranty potentially voided