Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TSB for cracking splash shield on front driver side wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:44 AM

Thanks for advice alim, if I can't get a positive response from dealer, I'll call the Mitsubishi corporate. I hope they resolve this problem.

Saludos.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:31 PM

My Outlander is not under warranty. The splash shield is damaged, and it also looks like the portion of the bumper-end on the driver's side where the Automatic Transmission fluid cooler is located is broken as well (there's just an opening for air, no plastic cover piece or vent or anything, see the attached picture).

I called my local Mitsu dealer. They said I can either go in and pick the parts I want and order them directly (I don't know the name of that bumper part, makes it sort of tough) or pay them $100 to examine the car. I told them I had the TSB number but they said they had to see the car themselves, and couldn't just tell me what parts to purchase.

If I knew what parts it required, I think I could do the work myself, just get a bunch of retainer clips to hold everything in place.

Attached Thumbnails TSB for cracking splash shield on front driver side wheel well-outlander_part.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 12:52 PM

This is the website for ordering the replacement part for the fender liner I don't have your year so I'm basing this on a 2007.

2007 Mitsubishi Outlander Parts - Mitsubishi Auto Parts, Up to 70 % Off | Discount OEM Factory Direct Wholesale Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse

The new fender liners have been corrected with regards to this issue. They are reinforced on the area where the air pushes against the liner causing it to crack. I noticed this when mine were replaced.

And yes you can replace it yourself and it doesn't cost $100. I think they are in the $40++ range. Look at ebay since there are authorized Mitsu parts sellers posting there.

Good luck.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:15 PM

I know the op is from years ago, but does anyone have a pic/diagram of the new part? Just wondering if my 2012 is updated. Current pic attached.

TIA!

Attached Thumbnails TSB for cracking splash shield on front driver side wheel well-1409692417305.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jten9
I know the op is from years ago, but does anyone have a pic/diagram of the new part? Just wondering if my 2012 is updated. Current pic attached.

TIA!
JTEN9, it does not look like yours is. I had mine replaced and basically you'd see rivets where they added some plastic to make it stiffer.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:49 PM

Im going to go out on a limb and say that if Mitsubishi knew it was a big enough problem in 2010 to put out a TSB, most likely any vehicle made after then including a 2012 probably has a revised part. Maybe a different material or ribs/reinforcement on the backside.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
JTEN9, it does not look like yours is. I had mine replaced and basically you'd see rivets where they added some plastic to make it stiffer.
Interesting, thanks.

You'd think they would address the problem by the 2012 model year. I'll ask my dealer about it next time I go in (no damage yet and plenty of time left on my warranty).

Old 09-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ckmecha
Im going to go out on a limb and say that if Mitsubishi knew it was a big enough problem in 2010 to put out a TSB, most likely any vehicle made after then including a 2012 probably has a revised part. Maybe a different material or ribs/reinforcement on the backside.
You replied as I was typing

Mine does look different than the pic earlier in this thread...

Old 09-02-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ckmecha
Unfortunately with Mitsubishi that limb is quite small. That may have updated the part but they may not have. Best to double check to make sure yourself.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by alim
This is the website for ordering the replacement part for the fender liner I don't have your year so I'm basing this on a 2007.

2007 Mitsubishi Outlander Parts - Mitsubishi Auto Parts, Up to 70 % Off | Discount OEM Factory Direct Wholesale Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse

The new fender liners have been corrected with regards to this issue. They are reinforced on the area where the air pushes against the liner causing it to crack. I noticed this when mine were replaced.

And yes you can replace it yourself and it doesn't cost $100. I think they are in the $40++ range. Look at ebay since there are authorized Mitsu parts sellers posting there.

Good luck.

Yep, mine is an 07. So that's this part:

Which I found on ebay...
New Front Splash Shield Inner Fender Liner Left Driver OE 5370A953 | eBay

I would need to get the bolts or clips that hold it in place, but I think those are inexpensive. Good deal!

I will need to grab a photo of the vent for the A/T Cooler heat sink thing. I'm not sure it's positioned right, and once I get and put this fender/splash shield on, it'll be more difficult to reach.

Quick Reply: TSB for cracking splash shield on front driver side wheel well