Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TSB regarding the "clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Default TSB regarding the "clunk"

Hey all, I've just hit 4,500 miles on my Outie and have started to hear a soft clunk noise when placing the outie in drive from reverse when say pulling out of a parking space. Just wondering if any of you have had it before or after you had the TSB on the front bearings. I can't tell if this is what I'm hearing because it does not sound like a loud pop like I was expecting it too...I've noticed it more as the weather has gotten colder. I'm going to schedule a trip to the dealer, but just wanted a few more details from people who have experienced it.

Name:  TSBoutlander07.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  91.1 KB

Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Default RE: TSB regarding the "clunk"

I think the older threads have more than enough tales to tell about this issue.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
tcp

most soft clicks when you start rolling are the ABS pump selftests. That happens when you hit 3mph going forward every time you start the vehicle.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:42 PM

When I drove mine home I noticed a slight "feeling" when turning during higher speeds. Like taking turns on the interstate a 70mph. I chaulked it up to being a new car but i wonder if....hmmm.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM

My dealer said that TSB is not what causes the clunk when putting into drive and starting to accelerate. I even brought the TSB for them to look at. They did say that one of the bearings does need changed because they could hear a slight rubbing sound. I didnt, so thats fine.

They said they want to take a closer look next time I bring the outtie in. They think its natural, like a sylinoid (sp) opening. Because we did a few tests. It only happens when you first start the vehicle and go forward, around 3-4 mph. Does not repeat until engine is shut off, restarted and then going forward again. Acually figured out that you dont have to go in reverse first to get the sound to go off.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:37 PM
tcp

With that description,it's the ABS selfcheck. My toyota does the same thing at 5mph and the outie does it at 3mph or so.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:39 PM

yup true. for every new outtie owners..this is normal. its just a abs self-check thats all. nothing to worry about. It is annoying sometimes but hey, thats just the character of the cuv and lovin it!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:05 PM

The TSB clunk is a loud clunk (sounds like a bad/loose) strut when turning into driveways or tight u-turns or sharp turns across a small grade.
If it doesn't fall into that description than you dont have that issue.

As far as other noises, the ABS is a light thwack that you could even sometimes feel in the brake pedal if pressing it a certain amount when it does the check. It only happens after you turn on the car and will do it when 3mph is reached going forward or backward turn or no turn. I have a long drive I know exactly when it thwacks.

Other noises, make sure you dont have a damaged tire and that all your lugs are tight.

Also a big one.. if you want to make your tranny last make sure you are completely stopped before shifting from reverse to forward and vice versa.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 PM

You will know the difference from the loud clunk compared to the ABS check. Go out to your outlander, start it up, put it in drive, and go straight. If you hear alittle pop then its your ABS. The loud clunk only happened for me while doing tight turns. Do you hear the sound any other time besides when starting up the outie and pulling out of a parking spot?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 AM

Alright guys... I'd say it's safe to say that it's the ABS self check. I definitely don't hear the loud clunk of the bearing (strut banging sound). I just wanted to make sure as I've just recently brought attention to it. Thanks for all the responses!

Quick Reply: TSB regarding the "clunk"