Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Turbo pipe problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Default Turbo pipe problem

[:-]Help or advice required please !!

I am new to this forum having bought a 6 month old Outlander 2 - UK spec - two weeks ago. It is the Elegance model with sunroof, chrome pack etc etc which I bought from my local Mitsubishi dealer as an ex demonstrator / managers car. It has 9000 miles on the clock. I had travelled ten miles after picking it up when I suddenly lost power as a result of the 'Turbo' pipe blowing off at bottom of the engine (drivers side). I managed to limp home and' Mitsubushi Assist' ( Mondial) attended and restored to pipe to its rightfull home. I tried it out a few minutes later and the same thing happened again, the pipe blew off when ascending a slight hill. The mechanic again replaced the pipe , this time fitting a new worm drive clip. All was well for about 100 miles when the same thing happened again, about five miles from the dealers premises. I took it straight there and made them aware of how displeased I was ! --( to put it mildly !!). They took it into the workshop and they assured me that they had cleaned an oil film off the inside of the rubber pipe and again fixed it with a new pipe clip.Theysay the oil is always present there after lubricating the turbo???? They say that this is the first time that they have experienced this fault on an Outlander but it has been known to happen with the L200 pick up which has the same 2 litre diesel engine.

This morning I set off from home with my caravan on the hook and guess what,?- 10 miles from home the "$%^&*ing" pipe blew off again.! This time the car was recovered on a low loader, the caravan dropped off at my home and the car taken back to the dealers.
I have now told them that I am of the opinion that the car is 'not fit for purpose' and that I am rejecting it under the sale of goods Act. I am now waiting for a response from the MD of the company. In the meantime I would be interested to kow if this is a common fault or have I bought a 'lemon'
Thanks
Ron

Old 08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned
Default RE: Turbo pipe problem

Times like these, you have to stand up and say "fix it or il open you up like a tin of f&#%%$ing beans!" (yes i spent 14 years in england)

Seems like you have the right idea. Lemon law the car.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:05 PM

Hi,
I have the exact same problem with myOutlander whichis only 4 weeks old- the Turbo Pipe has now blown off 3 times with Mitsubishi MAP Recovery coming out to reattach the pipe. The car has been with the dealer for over 1 week awaiting a new pipe to be fitted.
This is a BIG SAFETY ISSUE as the pipe tends to blow off when driving on the motorway at high speed causing the car to decellerate rapidly - this could result in an accident.
It nowappears this could be a common fault with the 2.0 Diesel Engine Outlander as I've found other similar posts on the Internet:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/archive/threads/turbo-pipe-problem-166672-1.html
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/147875-help-faulty-lease-car.html

Old 06-28-2008, 06:48 PM

Lemon law in the US gives the dealer 3 chances (I think) of fixing the exact same problem. If still no solution, then it's a valid lemon law claim.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 AM

I am in the UK so know UK law.

If you brought the car via a lease company or hire purchase its not your car, its owned by the finance company (not a personal loan) so its down to them to get the car fixed. They know the law and they know its down to them. Tell them terms and conditions of a contract work both ways.

puddy
ps the L200 does not have the same engine the engine in your diesel outlander is a 2.0 vw engine theL200 has a 2.5 engine

Old 07-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Just to update you on my turbo problem......there is now no problem......!!!!

After the time when it came off whilst towing my caravan the dealer replaced the pipe with a brand new one. They were of the opinion that when it first came off that the inside face of the pipe (which is normally dry and in contact with the inlet and outlet pipes on the engine and turbo unit ) became contaminated with the oil that lubricates the turbo. It was because of this that the pipe kept coming off.( not certain why it came off in first place though!)
When they replaced the pipe they cleaned the metal inlet/ outlets thoroughly and for good measure fitted 2 worm drive clips on both ends!.
Since then I have had no trouble whatsover from the car and am very pleased with it.
As compensation for my trouble they have given me 3 years free (parts and labour ) servicing, and 20 % discount off any other costs/repairs for as long as I own the car..I'm now a happy chappie !!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 05:10 AM

I was the same problem with 2.2 diesel engine. This happened only once.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:55 AM

I Have had the same problem also, 4 times now in 3 weeks. after the third time the hose stayed on for a few days but the car did not seem drive the same to me, a bit underpowered. took it to a different dealer, they ran diagnostics , saw error codes in the engine management system. they cleared the codes, the car was back to normal, then after 15 miles the hose came off again. I 've had a new hose , new clips , different sealant, car going back in again now to dealer. sounds like a major design flaw to me.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:53 AM
ash

I had the same problem. My new hose has now been on just coming up to 2 weeks and it seems to be okay. It was in for a service a couple of days ago and I asked the garage to check it was okay and (touch wood) it was.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 AM

????????????????? Where have they been 'till now ?????????????

Today I have recieved notification from VOSA re ::::
"'Service Campaign relating to the torque setting of the turbo hose clamps. They may have been incorrectly tightened resulting in turbo pipe coming off on high boost conditions,resulting in loss of power. Clamps require re-tightened to the correct torque'"

I presume this relates to the original problem I experienced back in August last year.!
I just hope that if there is ever a real safety problem that Mitsubishi react quicker than this!

[sm=smiley21.gif] [sm=smiley25.gif]

Quick Reply: Turbo pipe problem