Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Type of block heater in 2009 V6 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Default Type of block heater in 2009 V6 Outlander

Hey all,

Just curious what type of block heater is in the Outlander. Our dealership put one in. I know there are different types but am wondering what type the one we have would be if installed by the dealership.

I never had one before and the only thing I ever used was I had an oil pan heater installed in my Protege when I moved to Southern Alberta from the East coast.

Any thoughts on installing an oil pan heater in addition to the block heater if you live in southern alberta?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:20 PM
tcp
Default in 2007

The official word was that there was no block heater available and it didn't need one ( some BS about testing to -50C or something). It's nice that they apparently have one that works now. I installed a heat pad type under my oil pan. Don't think I've actually used it yet though.

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Hey all,

Just curious what type of block heater is in the Outlander. Our dealership put one in. I know there are different types but am wondering what type the one we have would be if installed by the dealership.

I never had one before and the only thing I ever used was I had an oil pan heater installed in my Protege when I moved to Southern Alberta from the East coast.

Any thoughts on installing an oil pan heater in addition to the block heater if you live in southern alberta?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2009, 01:13 AM

I think with 5W20 oil you would not need a block heater. But then again, I don't live in Canada, so obviously you guys know what you need. And in Mitsubishi Japan's site, there is a block heater accessory sold for the 2nd gen Outlander. We get -deg F temps here (Chicago area) but so far nothing unusual other than a little noisier start for 1sec after cranking. I just make sure I idle the engine for at least 1 min before shifting out of P.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:15 AM

Yeah, the outlander we bought was already on the lot and all of them get block heaters put in when they get to southern alberta (which I assumed they used a block heater from mitsubishi and not an aftermarket one). I was just curious what type was put in (if it came from mitsubishi).

Is there a way to tell which type they used (i.e. frost plug type etc...)

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-06-2009, 02:59 PM
tcp
Default follow the cable

just follow the wire back to where it ends on the engine. If it's a small round hole, it's a frost plug. If it's a pad you'll see that too. let us know. enjoy crawling around under there!

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Yeah, the outlander we bought was already on the lot and all of them get block heaters put in when they get to southern alberta (which I assumed they used a block heater from mitsubishi and not an aftermarket one). I was just curious what type was put in (if it came from mitsubishi).

Is there a way to tell which type they used (i.e. frost plug type etc...)

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-06-2009, 05:33 PM

LOL, I couldn't tell from looking at it from the engine bay and I asked the question so I wouldn't have to lay in the snow in -20 degree weather to find out..

Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM

dont need one. it was almost -30 this morning when i started my 09 outlander in calgary today, it fired up right away no hesitations.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 PM

Well, I had the block heater plugged in last night (all night) and I can't really tell that the engine is any warmer than anything else - of course my fingers were icicles... How much heat do these things usually put out? The car next to me has one and it melts the snow off her hood whereas I can't really even tell a difference by touch

Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM

I have a 2002 Lincoln LS. No block heater. Uses 5W20 oil. I've never had a starting problem but I do use a battery blanket on the coldest days which around her in central Ontario (CAN) can be well below -35C.
I love the winter sports but man I hate winter!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Eh, Newoutlanderfan, yeah you should hear something as soon as you plug your block heater. Even if the hood is closed.

Quick Reply: Type of block heater in 2009 V6 Outlander