Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

U0141 code after engine ECU change

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 11:18 PM
Default U0141 code after engine ECU change

Hi all,

This is a bit of a long story, but please bare with me.

I have a 2006 Outlander cw5w imported from Japan,
I've tried to get Cruise control working, I bought a complete used steering wheel with the cruise buttons and the 4 pin brake switch. The steering wheel on the 2006 Japan Outlander is different and I cannot just retrofit the cruise buttons.
When I fitted the new steering wheel and brake switch, I found that the wires from the ECU to the clock spring and brake switch was not factory fitted, so I ran the 3 wires from the engine ECU, 2 to the clock spring and one to the brake switch.
I Enable the 2 cruise settings in the engine ECU, but still no cruise. The cruise led does not light up and car does not maintain its speed when the cruise on button is pushed and the set button is pressed.
Then I found that the Cruise LED was not installed in my instrument cluster.
From research I have done, I have discovered that the firmware in the ECU for this specific model Outlander does not support Cruise control, even though the settings to enable it is there.

So, still itching to get this going, I found a used engine ECU from a later model Outlander XL (2009 model) and also got a used instrument cluster from a later model Lancer with the cruise led.
My original engine ECU part number is 1860A622, the new ECU part number is 1860A784.
My ETACS part number is 8637A212
I change the VIN and coding to match the original ECU on the new ECU and got the car started, but it is now giving a U0141 ETACS ECU Time Out code in the Engine ECU. Cleared the code but it returns almost immediately.
Plugging the old ECU back in and it worked and had no codes. But still no Cruise control.

Does anyone have any ideas why the later model ECU would give this code, am I missing something, is the ETACS ECU in this Japan Outlander also different and the CAN-C works differently?

Running a CAN Bus diagnostic in MUT3-SE the CAN Bus test passes all checks and does not show any red disconnected modules.

What am I missing?

Please help.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2021, 04:47 AM

If the firmware in the ECU (ETACS) is not there then the cruise control will not work. U codes are communication codes, so if you have fitted something to the network it is not expecting then that would give a code, similarly if is was expecting something that was not connected, you would also get a code.

Firmware for all markets is different, and the hardware could be also,and different MY's may also have different hardware.