Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Under-Hood LED Work Light Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Default Under-Hood LED Work Light Installed

Just some shameless self promotion

I added a waterproof LED strip from V-LED's to the under-side of the hood. This is not just some ghetto underglow, it's wired into the OEM hood release and only comes on when the hood is popped. I don't go to car shows or anything, so this is just in case of a roadside emergency or other night time under-hood work.

The "glare" lines you see are coming straight off the LED strip, perpendicular to the flat spot on the underside of the hood. As you can see, they point perfectly down at the engine bay:

(sorry for the crappy pic):

Wiring comes off the LED strip and goes into the hood "ducting" I suppose it might be described as, just the hollow section between the hood skeleton and the hood skin:

it comes out of the hood right near the hinge:

and runs along the fender. I still have a little more tidying up to do with the wires, as of now there's only a couple "clear" zip-ties holding it there:

The OEM hood position sensor is wired weird, I tapped into a silver wire, which I assumed was the HOT side because it connected to the red wire that went into the pressure switch, but it was not. The neg. of the LED strip tapped into the pressure switch and the hot side goes straight to the battery. The light goes off when the hood is closed and turns on when it opens, so whatever.

Just to really emphasize how bright it is, NONE of the pictures, including neither the top picture, nor this one were taken with the flash (in the dark parking lot pictured above):

Old 08-01-2013, 02:19 AM

nifty. Might hav to think about something like that myself.
Are they smd strip lights?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:08 AM

Yes, I believe they are.

6K WHITE EXTERIOR WATERPROOF LED STRIP LIGHTS - Exterior - Strip Lights

I got the 24" strip, so with free shipping (when I ordered it) and I already had the wire I'm very happy with the outcome for only $12 invested!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 AM

nuice job.

a little OT but where did you get the strut bar?

Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 AM

That's a very nice under-hood lighting system! I'll probably go that route on our vehicle.

Thanks for sharing.

Any problem feeding the wire through the hood passage? If so, how did you overcome it?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
nuice job.

Ebay i got mine $30 shipped...
Search 08 lancer strut bar...
Its a perfect fit

Old 08-03-2013, 12:01 PM

fantastic idea! def on my to do list

Old 08-04-2013, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
nuice job.

Mitsubishi Lancer 08 09 ES GTS de Front JDM Strut Bar | eBay

It has been pretty much confirmed that any strut bar designed for an 08+ Lancer will work for the Outlander Sport. Various members on evoM have tried this one as well and various other bars and they all have worked so far. I can't vouch for the full size Outlander though.

That one I posted above is pretty inexpensive, but it actually made a noticeable improvement. Still no race car though lol

Originally Posted by Outlaander
That's a very nice under-hood lighting system! I'll probably go that route on our vehicle.

Thanks for sharing.

Any problem feeding the wire through the hood passage? If so, how did you overcome it?
Thanks! It was a little bit of a pain fishing the wire, but the passage itself is clear of obstruction, it just takes some patience and finesse to get it out the little hole. I ran the wire half-way & out the hole for the hood prop, then did the second half from there.

Originally Posted by jasongy
Ebay i got mine $30 shipped...
Search 08 lancer strut bar...
Its a perfect fit
Yup! Same here!

Originally Posted by JRK5892
fantastic idea! def on my to do list
Thanks! Post some pics of yours when you get it done!