Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

USB audio erratic

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Default USB audio erratic

I just got an '12 Outlander SE with the basic audio (not the whole nav/touch panel system). It does have a USB port in the center console. I loaded my music collection onto a USB stick (~5 GB), and was testing out the system.

I tried it on two different USB devices, and I noticed the same problem. The USB connection is very erratic. Sometimes it will play a song or two, and then it will stop, say "USB no connect" for a few seconds, and then "usb load" as it appears to reboot the USB connection. Sometimes it is more than a song or twoo, and it is good for 20 minutes or more, but it will almost always say "USB no connect" and reboot at some point. It happens with greatest frequency when the system is set to shuffle all the songs randomly.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Should I take it back to the dealer to look at, or is there some way to correct things myself?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 AM

I actually have the exact same problem on my 2011 Outlander, with the Rockford Fosgate sound system.

If many others have experienced this issue as well, perhaps Mitsubishi will issue a recall/software update for this problem.

I have no idea if they already have or not, but I would like to know, and get this fixed as it gets very annoying.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Well as far I can see around here is that we are all experiencing different kinds of problems related to the USB connection. I've been dealing with a problem with my voice command when using my USB and Mitsubish can't figure it out. Hopefuly they will figure it all out soon cuz the whole package with nav and Rockford Folgate didn't cost cheap.

Good luck for us

Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Default erratic USB performance

I have been having the same problem with my Rockford Fosgate center console USB connection since I bought my RVR about 1 year ago. I am glad to find out I am not the only one! My dealership has not been able to be very helpful. I have tried three different brands of flash drives with the same result. My system will also just stop playing, show "USB no connect", then reboot and re-start with song #1 and go off the random setting. As a rule I usually have it set on "DRDM" (device random), when it happens. Maybe that it why it gets confused? Could that be the common thread?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM

RVRguy, I have the exact same problem as you describe. I have also tried various USBs in different sizes (2, 4, 8 & 16 GB), and the problem still persists.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:43 PM

yup, that is what happens for me. i tried it with many different devices. i also tired it with both DRDM, and just plain RDM. It still happens on either random setting. it geranlley only happens when switching songs. it makes me think there is some sort of firmware problem, or bug in the software that runs teh system. has anyone tried calling the radio manufacturer?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Default Contacted Rockford Fosgate

I contacted Rockford Fosgate through their support page about our problem and included a link to this forum. They do have some FAQ's on their page, but most of it I believe predates our systems. So I will wait and see if they reply, and what the solution might be. If I hear anything, I will certainly pass it along!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 AM

So yesterday, I called Mitsubishi Canada Customer Relations Department, which is located in Mississauga, Ontario - 1-888-576-4878.

I explained the situation and asked if they have a software fix for the issue. They said they never heard of this issue before. (perhaps more of us should call them with the issue).

They refered me to Mitsubishi Johnson controls, and they also said they never heard of this issue before. 1-888-702-4100. They suggested I check here: Mitsubishi Link System but this is of no help.

Apparently, there is a dealer software update for Ipods, etc. but not specifically for the USB. I'm taking my Outlander to the dealer on Friday to see if I need a software update, and if it will fix the USB problem as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM

It sounds as if it may be a bit of a problem for us to enlighten Mitsubishi, until more people realize that there is a problem. (I imagine not all new Mitsubishi owners will make use of the console USB port, or for that matter may not even know why it is there.) For what is worth, here is the response I received from Rockford Fosgate today:
Response Via Email(Forrest) - 05/01/2012 01:25 PM
the factory head unit is not made by us, we just make the amp and speakers. you will have to try the dealer.

I appreciate that they responded so quickly, but we're back to square one! Pitmax, I hope your dealership will know something more. In the meantime I will contact customer relations also to further our cause.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM

hey guys....

So I sent in a trouble ticket on the Mitsubishi fuse website last week:
Mitsubishi Fuse System

They emailed me back with this:
Thank you for contacting us in regards to your HandsFree system. You are important to us and we would like to provide the best customer service possible. In your situation, we could provide a more complete answer if we were able to communicate by phone. Please call our Customer Service Team at 1-888-702-4100. We are available, Mon-Fri 7am-8pm CT.

Please call from inside your vehicle.

I have not yet been able to call from inside the car (since my wife drives it during the day). maybe someone else can try giving them a call?

Quick Reply: USB audio erratic