Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Vibration after new tires installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Default Vibration after new tires installation

Hey there!

I have 2005 Outlander and realized it's time to put new tires on. I chose NOKIAN WRG2 all weather and had them installed and balanced at very reliable place. However, right after installation on highway @ 110-120 km/h i started feel little vibration. Took the car back to tires people, they had another look at my wheels and said 2 front rims were slightly bent. OK, they put these 2 wheels at rear and vibration has reduced and moved to back little bit. i wanted the second opinion and took Outlander to the Mitsubishi dealership. Explained what happened but did not tell them what rims a bent. They checked the rims, did not see any damage and just rebalanced them ($65+tax). After that mechanic took the car to test and he did not feel any vibration. When I drive it, I do!!!

Now, what should I do? Should I just continue to deal with the dealer or just swallow cost of new rims, let tires people put the rubber on and see if it's tires or rims???

Thanks,
K

Old 02-18-2009, 03:18 PM

This isn't rocket science. You didn't have the vibration with your old tires and you have the vibration with the new tires. Go back to tire dealer and scream at them until they make it right. Also, if its bent rims like the tire dealer said, how come those bent rims didn't cause the vibration with the old tires. Did the tire dealer bend the rims putting on the new tires? Either way it all comes back to the tire dealer.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM

Yeah, take it back to the tire people. You should of just gone to the tire shop to ask them to balance them again, instead of paying the dealer. Usually when you buy a set of tires, there is some sort of a warranty, ask about that. Like other said, you Outlander was fine with old tires, when they install the new, they bent it, and now is vibrating. If it was really the tire shop's fault at installation and benting a rim, they are just f*ing retards. My students, which are 16 years old can change a tire without hitting the rim...You gotta hit the rim really hard to bent the rim. Rim bent are just usually cause on the road instead being install...Yea, just keep going back to the tire shop, and bug them about it

Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Default Still vibrating...

Thank you guys for advice. I went back to tires people (they are not just greasy corner store - it's the company that has locations all over Canada) and they rebalanced the wheels without any negotiating (I have 30 days of free balancing), but unfortunately I still feel the vibration. As highways in GTA are in pretty bad shape in general and especially after all these temperature jumps, I'm not sure how to check tires properly. I feel the vibration on some roads and it's gone or masked on others... I'm looking for a flat piece of road in Toronto or surrounding areas where I can test my car @ 100-110 km/h. Anyone? Is 407 much better than DVP-404? I don't have transponder to enter, but if it's in really good shape I'll probably take a chance...

My next step would be changing the rims??? This thing just drives me nuts. :-(

Thanks,
Konstantin.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 AM

Wheel Alignment

Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by FAX68
Wheel Alignment
You think so? How wheel alignment may cause vibration @ 100 km/h?

K

Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Constm
You think so? How wheel alignment may cause vibration @ 100 km/h?

K
When you drive the car in a straight road, take your hands off the wheel, and see if it will keep going straight or does it move to the left or right. Moving very little is normal, but if it moves a lot, then that's a problem caused by wheel alignment.

Everywhere is different. Like where I live in Ontario, Canada, if I take my hands off the steeling wheel, it should move very little to the right, because on Canadian roads, they paved the road lower at the right because I think of the water drainage.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 PM

Hey Constm, I noticed you live in Toronto. Same as me =) well, Markham, but always in Toronto
Which tire shop did you do to?
I live near Major Mack in Markham. From Kennedy to Markham Rd on Major Mack, there were nice roads, and plus no much cars on the weekends or night time. (Speed limit is 80, but a lot of people speed to 90 or 100) Also, you can go to the Markham's Donald Cousin Parkway. Is not a highway, but very few cars go on it because not much people live in the area, and the roads are pretty new, therefore good condition.

Glad to see someone from Toronto on the board =)

Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Some decent roads are 404 north of Stouffville Road; 400 north of King Road; 427 north of Highway 7 is brand new (but only 1 km in length).

I've had car movement with no hands on the wheel caused by bad tires. After 4 alignments the problem kept coming back - got new tires and fixed it right away.

Try asking for different tires. If you didn't notice these vibrations on your old tires and driving on the same roads they screwed up the installation or the tires you got aren't great.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
Some decent roads are 404 north of Stouffville Road; 400 north of King Road; 427 north of Highway 7 is brand new (but only 1 km in length).

I've had car movement with no hands on the wheel caused by bad tires. After 4 alignments the problem kept coming back - got new tires and fixed it right away.

Try asking for different tires. If you didn't notice these vibrations on your old tires and driving on the same roads they screwed up the installation or the tires you got aren't great.
Woww, another member from Toronto. Yea, roads north of Major Mack and Stoffville are nice and smooth.

Do you own the Outlander or other Mitsu products, Dr. Zoidberg?

Quick Reply: Vibration after new tires installation