Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Voltage problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Default RE: Voltage problems

Is the A/C compressor electrical? I thought they ran off of the accessory belt on the engine

Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 AM
tcp

Hate to disagree, but how is AC a large ELECTRICAL draw? The only electrical part of that is to engage the compressor clutch and maybe run a secondary radiator fan. I can agree that it is a huge MECHANICAL draw and uses more fuel, but the energy for the AC comes from the belt running the compressor and only a minor amount of electrical energy is required.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:40 AM

Well, I have to disagree with you. What do you do for a living? I happen to be an ASE and Mitsubishi master tech, specializing in electical and drivability diagnosis. In other words, I fix cars for a living. Between the clutch, cooling an blower fans, I have seen AC systems draw upword of 20 amps. Tha's more then most standard headlight systems. Listen, I don't take offense to being questioned, I have alot of customers who "know" how to fix their cars, and want to tell me how to do my job. Funny thing is, they are pying me to do it because in reality, they can't. I suggest that you don't tell someone who knows of what he speaks that he is wrong, especially when you clearly don't of what you speak.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 AM
tcp

Don't get all stressed, we are all diagnosing long distance here and trying to help him out.

Electronic Engineering Technologist, since you care. He complains that this happens while he's driving(engine well above idle). Have you looked at the test done by rdenis in the second post of this thread. With highbeams on, AC on full and radio on he still sees 13.9volts minimum at idle. something is wrong with the original poster's system.

If you have access to the info, please post a chart or graph showing the output of the alternator vs. pully rpm. We can figure out what it can produce at idle by knowing differences between crank pully size and alt. pully size, which you should have access to.

ORIGINAL: evoracer

Well, I have to disagree with you. What do you do for a living? I happen to be an ASE and Mitsubishi master tech, specializing in electical and drivability diagnosis. In other words, I fix cars for a living. Between the clutch, cooling an blower fans, I have seen AC systems draw upword of 20 amps. Tha's more then most standard headlight systems. Listen, I don't take offense to being questioned, I have alot of customers who "know" how to fix their cars, and want to tell me how to do my job. Funny thing is, they are pying me to do it because in reality, they can't. I suggest that you don't tell someone who knows of what he speaks that he is wrong, especially when you clearly don't of what you speak.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:56 PM

Bro, in my first post on this thread I stated that I beleive it was a charging system problem. I still stand behind that.

EDIT: Don't take offense to my previous post. It was 12:30 in the morning and I just got home from moving, a 12 hour drive in a moving truck. I was too wired to sleep, but I guess a little too agitated to post.Should have been a little calmer I guess. Kinda like drinking and dialing, postingshouldn't be done when tired and irritable. I am just trying to help. Sorry for jumping down your throat.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Its all love round here! Hapyy drunks, happy drunks, happy drunks.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 PM
tcp

no stress, been there. Hope the move went well.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 AM

I happen to be a mitsu tech of 16 years, fully ASE (with L1) certified, and a "master elite" (both of which mean nothing, as they are pathetically easy to accomplish).

and IM saying its totally normal to suffer a half to volt drop when the ac is on, due to the massive amperage use. The cooling fans alone require 20 amps + to operate.

feel free to check it on every outlander you have on your lot.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:19 AM

I agree completely, but the poster says the lights dim and the voltage will read down in the 12V range. That isn't normal by any means.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Regardless of vehicle and operating conditions, my rule of thumb is toget worried when I see voltage drops consistently below say 13.3 to 13.5 volts - tells me either something is not right with the charging system orI've got way too damn much stuff drawing off the electrical system.

If my system was consistently giving me readings below 13 volts I'd be worried.

The readings I posted earlier on the Outie are what I would consider to be normal over the range.

Quick Reply: Voltage problems