Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Warranty question / Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Default RE: Warranty question

ORIGINAL: bennymax

Thanks rcpax

Can anyone confirm if power steering is included in the powertrain or not?

Anyone ever has it replace, how much was it?
Powertrain should be the engine and the transmission only, AFAIK.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:30 PM

the power train constitutes engines, transmissions, differentials, transfer cases, and parts connecting them like drive shafts, and cv and u-joints; period. unfortunately, engine-driven accessories like power steering or air conditioning aren't considered power train.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Banned

I have seen dealerships still fix these things for free though. Its worth a shot

Old 08-26-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the reply/help everyone. I tried to examine the noise a bit more today, as the dealership is closed on weekends.

I think I might have been mistaken about power steering.

It seems the grinding noise happens only when I step on break, and I also noticed that the metal part that is inside the wheel cover is really hot, is that normal?

Old 08-26-2007, 09:33 PM

Yay good news...you probablyneed new brakes. You can go to the dealer or check with friends or family for a good mechanic the dealer may cost more, call and ask how much brakes and rotors are (you might not need rotors but good to check anyway). Do not go to Midas.

BTW this would not be considered warranty unless 20,000 mi or less.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:52 PM

Cool thanks BoldlyGoingNowhere, I guess having the break fixed would be cheaper than the PS pump. Do you know if the high temperatureinside the wheelis normal or not(it is the part inside the wheel cover).

Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 AM
tcp

If you've been using the brakes, heat from the rotors is normal. Brakes transform kinetic energy into heat. The more they work they hotter they get. A bit of grinding noise can indicate worn rotors, a rock in the pad, or even just dust buildup. If the brakes heat up every time you move without pressing the pedal, it could be a stuck piston in a caliper or binding parking brake(rear brakes only). Lot's of options.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: bennymax

Cool thanks BoldlyGoingNowhere, I guess having the break fixed would be cheaper than the PS pump. Do you know if the high temperatureinside the wheelis normal or not(it is the part inside the wheel cover).
Fyi the metal round thing inside the wheel is the brake rotor. If one is hotter than the rest then there is a problem. It can be hot from metal to metal of worn off pads, a warped rotor or it can be hot from a caliper dragging. I really doubt its your caliper but regardless you need an experienced brake mech to look at them.

If both fronts are equal temp and the rear is cooler this is normal under heavy braking, the rear does less braking than the front, the rotors shouldn't be too hot to touch either if they are very hot this is a problem too.

How many miles are on it?

Also as TCP said you can have a rock, I used to work construciton and got rocks and crap in my truck rotors regularly. I could get it out by backing a small distance and applying the brakes intermittently or it would just fall out, however it didnt take long to fall out so if the noise is there a few days I doubt thats what it is.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM

"Im pretty sure the PT warranty isnt transferable, because this is the question I had when I got the 07 and the answer was no. Also I dont think the power steering is part of the powertrain anyway.

Which really sucks. "

Just to clarify for Canadian readers........the full powertrain warranty is fully transferable, up to 10 yrs or 160000 kms. This was one of the points that made this vehicle attractive for me. Should be more desirable on the used car market.

However Americans...note we pay substantially more for the vehicle up front.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your help, esp BoldlyGoingNowhere & Sebba, I will take the car to a mechanic later this week and report back what was the issue.

I am the 2nd owner on this 2003 Outlander it has about 52000 mil.

Quick Reply: Warranty question / Power steering pump