Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Wax - Which Components?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Default Wax - Which Components?

Hi All,

I'm a new Canadian Outlander 09 XLS owner and am looking to put two layers of wax on the new car to help protect it before the snow flies.

I've read the detailing threads and picked up a can of NXT Tech Wax Paste 2.0. Now I need to know where to apply it.

Obviously the painted surfaces including the inside of the door sills and hatch will be waxed but what about the:
  • Roof Rails - are they painted or plastic? Mine are silver.
  • Chrome badges (V6, Mitsubishi & symbol, Outlander)
  • Black material between the front and rear windows on the side of vehicle? Plastic?
  • Grills - they look like a PITA - lots of honeycomb and the Mitsubishi symbol - upper and lower
  • Silver cover on the bottom of the front of the nose
  • Wax on 3M Scotchgard film or not?
  • Side mirror black parts on the forward side - plastic?
Cheers,
Chris

Old 09-22-2009, 10:30 AM

I use NXT 2.0 on my 08 ES. Here's what I've done.
Chrome badges - yes
Roof rails (mine are black) - yes
3M scotchgard film - yes
Grill (black plastic part) - no, but did do the silver trim and mitsu diamonds which are on the grill and are chrome
Side mirror black parts - no, but if want to do them, test small area first.
Black material between front and rear windows - yes
Black cover on the bottom of front of nose - no

For the roof rails and black material between the windows the paint is more flat, at least on my ES, so don't expect the wax to give you a nice shine, but the important thing is you are protecting the surface with the wax.

One final thing. You have silver on your XLS in many places where I have black (ie roof rails). So just to be safe I would test small area first before doing the whole surface.

I really like the NXT and think its one of the better wax/paint sealants out there.

Last edited by azjake; 09-22-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Basically anything painted and glass can be waxed.. Avoid rubber and unpainted plastics (However I do include the head and tail lights). There are synthetic waxes out there with different prohibitions, so if all else fails follow the instructions.. since it will be per product.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by bluebastion
Basically anything painted and glass can be waxed.. Avoid rubber and unpainted plastics (However I do include the head and tail lights).
Do you really wax the windows (glass) on your vehicle?

I'm a little apprehensive looking at the black material between the side windows. If I do that, I have to do the entire trim around the windows as well. I'll test a small spot first.

My old cavalier had a plastic coating over the black between the windows. Over time it started to peel, discolour and break down. I assume that's UV damage.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 09-23-2009, 04:44 PM

For UV protection I use Meguiar's Natural Shine on my dashboard, and all the rubber trim on my Outlander and the NXT wax protects the paint against UV rays.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by nesser
Do you really wax the windows (glass) on your vehicle?

I'm a little apprehensive looking at the black material between the side windows. If I do that, I have to do the entire trim around the windows as well. I'll test a small spot first.

My old cavalier had a plastic coating over the black between the windows. Over time it started to peel, discolour and break down. I assume that's UV damage.

Cheers,
Chris
Yes I do wax my windows... it has the rainX effect.. of course for only a little while. Actually I was waxing windows before rainX even came out so I'm thoroughly convinced that the rainX company just put liquid wax in a bottle. But once again, the user needs to make sure what he/she is using is safe for glass. I remember reading instructions on a synthetic wax that stated not to use on glass... etc.

As for the black part between the windows, I don't recommend waxing that... It reminds me of vinyl material.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
For UV protection I use Meguiar's Natural Shine on my dashboard, and all the rubber trim on my Outlander and the NXT wax protects the paint against UV rays.
I've read to use a silicone spray on the rubber trim around doors, etc. Keeps the rubber supple and making a tight seal instead of cracking and having to be replaced.

What protection does the Meguiars product provide? UV protection would only be helpful for components exposed to the sun. I think there are some on the top of the side windows. How would exposure to the elements affect the product?

CN

Old 09-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Natural shine has UV protectors and also helps keep rubber from drying out or cracking. I like it especially on the dashboard because as it name says it produces a shine that's natural looking (not a high gloss) and once it drys its not greasy feeling. The shine on the dash lasts for 3-4 weeks.

As far as how the elements affect it, any protectant product that's directly exposed to the elements is going to need to be reapplied on a regular basis

And yes, silicone spray does work well for keeping the rubber supple.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by nesser
Keeps the rubber supple and making a tight seal instead of cracking and having to be replaced.

CN
I need to get my wife on here to read this

Old 10-03-2009, 06:36 PM

The undisputed best product for any and all rubber or vinyl materials in the vehicle is 303 Aerospace. Was actually developed for the aerospace industry and is the best uv protection you can buy. Its good on top of the dash and all the inner side panels. I would use a leather cleaner and treatment product if you have leather seats but most everything else can be treated with the 303. I would not use it on your navi touch screen There are special cleaners for that. Outstanding place to learn about and purchase car care items is Autogeek .com