Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Weird electric window problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 10:39 AM
Default Weird electric window problem.

Hi.
Got a weird error on my 2014 Outlander.

All my windows stopped working a while ago, out of nowhere.
I ofcourse thought it was the fuse, so I removed it and checked it. It was fine.
But just for the hell of it, I tried the windows with the fuse out, and lo and behold they all worked like normal.
Put the fuse back in, they stop working again.

Anyone ever heard of something like this happening? And maybe even have a solution for this magical error?

I have also had an annoying electrical error where at random times when starting the car I would get errors on ACC, FSC, Power stearing, check engine and sometimes the gearbox will shift rough into drive and be stuck in 3rd gear. A restart of the car 1 or 2 times clears every error and the car never fails untill the next time its started and randomly fails again. I do not think this new window fault is related, but I thought I should just mention it anyway. Hell, maybe someone have a tip for fixing this issue too..

Blackie

Old 10-05-2020, 02:31 AM

I guess no one has heard of somthing like this happening.. Could the fuse be for a controller of some such that locks the windows when active? And releases the windows when powerless?

Blackie

Old 10-05-2020, 09:45 AM

Typically, when multiple systems have odd problems that come and go mysteriously, there are 2 common causes: 1) bad ground - since harnesses carry wires related to many systems but normally share the ground, 2) damaged wire(s) - since the harness could wear through multiple wires leaving one system with a problem but providing another system with a path for current/signal. There's quite a few video's on you tube from South Main Auto where a mechanic shows the troubleshooting process to trace down a problem.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:10 PM

in your fusebox (ETACS) behind your glove box is a yellow fuseholder. its called the IOD ( ignition off draw) that is used to cut all unneccesary power when vehicle is new and being transported. Sometimes this comes loose. try pushing it in

Old 09-29-2022, 11:18 PM
Default Same trouble! Windows doesn't work anymore.

And worse : when i press down the switch, it Locks the Doors. Weird!!!!! The only one "Working" is the Passenger Windows : it Gets down veeeeeeery slowly ans stops after 2 inches open and wont come up (i got yo do it manually). Seriously... What the hell???? O_o

Old 09-30-2022, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by iannovitch
And worse : when i press down the switch, it Locks the Doors. Weird!!!!! The only one "Working" is the Passenger Windows : it Gets down veeeeeeery slowly ans stops after 2 inches open and wont come up (i got yo do it manually). Seriously... What the hell???? O_o
Well, I can tell you what was my problem. I had a couple wires going to the driver door with a bad connection. And when I removed the fuse I had the door open, which was enough to connect the wire, and the windows worked. Plugged the fuse back in and closed the door a little, the windows stopped working again.
I figured this out after I had trouble replicating the issue some time later, when the wire had snapped off completely. So it had nothing to do with the fuse at all. (although why was the windows even working with the fuse out)...

The other issues I mentioned was because of a taxi metre device that was plugged into the loom around the fuse box area. The car was used as a taxi before I bought it, and I guess they didn't remove everything they modded. Removed this device and all problems went away.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Blackie
Well, I can tell you what was my problem. I had a couple wires going to the driver door with a bad connection. And when I removed the fuse I had the door open, which was enough to connect the wire, and the windows worked. Plugged the fuse back in and closed the door a little, the windows stopped working again.
I figured this out after I had trouble replicating the issue some time later, when the wire had snapped off completely. So it had nothing to do with the fuse at all. (although why was the windows even working with the fuse out)...

The other issues I mentioned was because of a taxi metre device that was plugged into the loom around the fuse box area. The car was used as a taxi before I bought it, and I guess they didn't remove everything they modded. Removed this device and all problems went away.
Well, same here apparently. The windows started to work properly when i left my driver door wide opened! If i close it a little : boom, windows stop working. So definitivly a bad connection with the wires right on the corner...(and not the main controler switch that i removed and cleaned... No difference There!)

What did you do? Replace all the wires or...?

Last edited by iannovitch; 10-03-2022 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by iannovitch
Well, same here apparently. The windows started to work properly when i left my driver door wide opened! If i close it a little : boom, windows stop working. So definitivly a bad connection with the wires right on the corner...(and not the main controler switch that i removed and cleaned... No difference There!)

What did you do? Replace all the wires or...?
I pulled the rubber tube to the door and found the break, soldered together and covered. The wires are very short so there aren't much slack. Kind of a pain in the *** to access, but it has been working perfectly for a year or so..