Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Power windows suddenly stoped working

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Default Power windows suddenly stoped working

Hi all
I have a 97 Galant ES, Friday night coming home from work I put my window down then a few seconds later I put down the rear right window, 10 minutes later I tried to close them and nothing happened, when I got home I tried all 4 switches on all 4 doors nothing. I then checked the the fuse panel under the dash nothing was marked for the power windows. I then checked the Fuse/relay panel under the hood fusible link #5 is for the power windows, not having a 30 AMP fusible link handy I swapped it out with the link #3 , the windows still don't work however the radiator fan does (link #3). It's not the fusible link, so I purchased Haynes repair manual for Galant 1994 - 2003 I feel I wasted my money, not much help really.
OK now the books Chassis electrical system -wiring diagram page 12-48, indicates that the circuit starts at the fusible link #7, then dedicated fuse 12 in the engine compartment relay box, then to a multi-purpose fuse 13 in junction block 1. this is confusing to say the least because the books designations are different then the owners manual and the relay box cover not to mention that the location of junction block 1 is a total mystery.
In sheer desperation I checked every extremely hard to reach fuse in the under dash panel checked all fuses in the relay panel plus confirmed that all the relays where all working by checking the circuits one by one that they are responsible for, everything works including the power door locks that are in the same circuit as the windows. I don't think all 4 motors died simultaneously.
Can someone please help me?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:07 PM

I fixed it! It seems that I did not check all the fuses after all. The fuse responsible for all my pain was the Heater relay fuse. Yeah I see the correlation, heater window same thing right. Japanese engineers rule!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:12 AM

I have encountered this problem last week but the mechanic told me that the power window switch should be replaced.. I should have checked all the fuses first just like what you did.

Last edited by michaelross; 08-09-2010 at 09:08 PM.