Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

weird paint issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Default weird paint issue

Okay-

So my first bad experience. I was washing my car the other day and noticed a little spot (about the size of a quarter) right next to the front grill where it appears someone has used fine grit sandpaper to smooth down a small bump that appears to be under the paint of the bumper. The crappy thing is that whoever did this - i'm assuming someone at the factory - didn't bother to re-clearcoat that area. I REALLY don't want to have the entire bumper re-painted. Does anyone think this could EASILY be fixed? I hate to take something off the car for such a small imperfection and then have the bumper have fitting problems down the road. Any suggestions?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Default RE: weird paint issue

buy touch up paint?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 PM

Touch up paint looks like crap.

Call around to find a shop that does touchups. Yes having the whole bumper painted sucks.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:16 AM

pictures?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:55 AM

I have seen advertisment locally for a shop that does touch ups without completely repainting, they have before and after pictures of bumpers with big scrapes on them. I assume that they match the paint and than must buff it to blend it in. Depending on how much they quote, might be worth trying it,worst case if it doesn't last or look good, you can get the whole bumper painted.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 AM

Touchup paint can look good, but it takes patience, some knowledge, and some artistic ability.

If it just needs clearcoat, it shouldn't be too noticeable.

maybe some scratch remover would smooth it out a bit?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:38 AM

Touch up paints are basically meant for small, pin sized defects, up to a few millimeters. Quarter-sized defects definitely needs professional help, IMO.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: rcpax

Touch up paints are basically meant for small, pin sized defects, up to a few millimeters. Quarter-sized defects definitely needs professional help, IMO.
I agree..

if it came that way, the factory should pony up..but how do you prove it?

Old 03-13-2008, 06:24 PM

I have a similar issue with my car. I noticed during last wash that theres a small chip of paint on the rear right bumper panel, the quarter section thats plastic. Well I took it to the dealer and they told me there was basically nothing they could do as far as a warranty claim. I explained to them that it is obviouslly a defect in the paint and its reason enought to warrant a claim, they said I had no proof of it being a defect or an accident, I then told them that the proof is there, to visually inspect the area, and there is obvouslly no damage other than a1/4 "X 1/4"of paint chiped away, they replied again "sorry sir theres nothing we can do but we can have our detailler touche it up for $200. I walked away enraged, bumber to bumper warranty mya**!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Now that I think about it...there is a strange spot on mine as well..I've noticed a place on the roof where there is one very large and noticable blue metallic flake (Labrador Black Pearl). Normally the flakes are very subtle and noticable only in direct sunlight, but this one is like it's on top of the clearcoat..

Not losing sleep..especially since my mother and my sister have backed into it (in the very same spot), the rock/salt chips after this winter and an anonymous moron at Walmart that decided to give me a little love scrape.

I just need a nice warm weekend, some touchup, and a 6 pack to make it ok..

Quick Reply: weird paint issue