Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

What exactly the FAST KEY supposed to do????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Default What exactly the FAST KEY supposed to do????

I know, if you don't have the FAST KEY inside the vehicle it won't start. But, does it supposed to stall the engine if you leave with the vehicle without the FASTKEY with you??? Because mine doesn't work at all. It just keep saying, confirm key or key missing??? Something like that... But I have try this. I start the engine( I have an Outlander 08 V6 engine by the way), and I let the FASTKEY in the house and I went for a drive for about 15-20 mins and the engine never stall. So, it's a good anti-theft system... Am I wrong the way I understand that??? Any comments ????

Thank you for reply!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:42 AM

Take another drive and turn the engine off when you're 5 miles from your house and see if the anti theft works then.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM

Yeah, the fast key is for starting the car. Once it's started, its going to keep running.

I agree with outpack. Stop at a gas station, turn the car off, and then try to start it. Don't forget your cell phone, because you will be calling someone for help.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 AM

I have to laugh at this thread because this happened to me. I dropped by better half off at work and drove away without a key. It wasn't until after I drove to Target and turned off the car that I realized I didn't have a key. FUN TIMES!

It will beep on the outside of the car to let you know that the car is running without the key and it will briefly show a warning in the center gauge display to prevent this. Just pay attention (unlike me) and you'll be fine. It is *not* designed to prevent you from being able to drive away without the key. Neither is any other of these smart key systems used on other makes.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:50 PM

no, of course its not suppost to stall the car. how silly would that be? if the battery dies whilst youre driving?

the car will beep at you if you're silly enough to get out of the car and leave it running.. which no one sane would do anyway.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Thats why I like the "smart key" with my ES. It gives me the same anti-theft protection as FAST KEY since you can't start the vehicle without the correct code being sent to the ignition from the key, but I can't accidently leave the house without the key since it has to be used to start the car.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by outpack
Take another drive and turn the engine off when you're 5 miles from your house and see if the anti theft works then.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by azjake
Thats why I like the "smart key" with my ES. It gives me the same anti-theft protection as FAST KEY since you can't start the vehicle without the correct code being sent to the ignition from the key, but I can't accidently leave the house without the key since it has to be used to start the car.
You cant start the vehicle without the FAST KEY either. People just get in trouble if they start it, go inside the house to get something while its running, leave the key in the house while the vehicle is running, then drive off without it. Alot of vehicles come with "smart keys" these days, which are good. But after having a FAST KEY, I'll never get a car without. I love walking up to my car with my hands full or empty, and grabbing the door and unlocking it without having to fiddle around and pull my keys out to push a button. Yes, it will spoil you...... enough to where you forget you even need a key

Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 AM

both my cars have fast key
its the best after using it i would never buy a car without one
feels good not to reach for the key every time you need to get into the car

Old 11-19-2009, 07:12 PM

It's great for my wife.

She was always mis-placing her keys. Now it is buried in the bottom of her purse, and she never has to worry about it.

She walks up to the car, it unlocks for her. She turns the key and goes. No more running around the house for 15 minutes looking for the keys.

Its great because our house does not have keys too. We have one of the schlage link systems. Very cool, its like a fast key for your house. Well, sorta
http://link.schlage.com/Pages/home.aspx