Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

What Oil Filter do you use for your Outtie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Default RE: What Oil Filter do you use for your Outtie?

WOW, I really had no idea that Mobil 1 was downgraded to group 3, now I have a head ache.lol. I've used Mobil 1 since I had the RA back in 04, when did they change the formula? I wonder if it even makes a difference since I change my oil every 3000 miles or 3 months any ways.
*EDIT*
Getting a bit off topic but I was wondering, are you guys still using the 5w-20 for the summer or does any one feel theres a need to step up to a thicker blend?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:19 AM

Stick with 5W-20. The MIVEC is oil pressure controlled, and a different oil could screw that up.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 AM

When I was getting motorcycle oil at walmart I ran into a guy that had an OCD about oil and filters for that matter. He was currently using Castrol syn and blending it which is what I use in my cages (no blending)but not the motorcycles. We got into the discussion because of the Rotella synthetic I was getting for the motorcycles. He wanted to use it because he had read that it was a good synthetic but couldnt past the fact it said for diesel. I couldnt help him on that one but the general opinion is that if it survives in a diesel it will do well in a car. I suppose if I was interested in changing to syn on the outie now (not enough miles yet)I would research it, its definately easier on the pocket book.

He said the testing on mobil oils wasnt impressive, also that the supertech filters are very good.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 AM

I guess I'll be switching to Amsoil next oil change, I have always heard good things about Mobil untill now.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 AM

A note about Amsoil...the XL series (slightly cheaper)of oil is Group III

There's nothing wrong with Group IIIoil, if you're changing it by the book.

I have issues with how Mobil went to a cheaper basestock and still managed to increase the shelf price...plus they're hyprocritical and I just have issues with that company in general...so after I burn my stash, I'll switch to Pennzoil Platinum

About the diesel oil. Harley states in their manuals that if you don't use their oils (which are overrated and way overpriced) then you should use a diesel rated oil. I've used Mobil 1 15w50 for about 20K miles and it's worked great

Old 06-20-2007, 08:22 AM

Yeah thats why I was not aware of the downgrade, because the price has been the same. Unless theres prove somewere that the group 3 from Mobil is better than the Amsoil one, I will be switching to Ams, since its cheaper and does the same job.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 AM

I didnt know that about Harleys. My Kawasaki just says basically any oil is better than no oil with the exception of energy conserving. Do the Harleys have a wet or dry clutch?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: bnilguy

I've used Mobil 1 15w50 for about 20K miles and it's worked great
Same here - I use it in my FJR1300 with wet clutch.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM

Here is some reading mat'l for interested in the "Synthetic Debate". Granted it may be a bit biased as it was published by the petrolium refining industry. I don't doubt their facts, but sometimes facts that don't support one's theory can be left out.

In summary, regardless of who publishes the paper,a group III (highly refined petroleum base)oil is far better than group I & group II (non-synthetics) while being nearly equal to "full synthetics" in performance that matters, for 99.9% of the car owning population.

More banter about it on Wikipedia

....and before anyone flames me, yes Amsoil scored better in testing. I didn't say it did not. Amsoil sponsored testing results

Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Hmm crazy of topic thought, I wonder howmitsu feels about using a group 3 on evos? would that void their warranty? One of my co-workers has an evo and he's been using "Mobil 1 synthetic" so yeah I'm pretty much asking for him(I dont own an evo....yet).

Quick Reply: What Oil Filter do you use for your Outtie?