Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Why would you prefer your Outlander over Jeep Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 06:29 PM

Well, I am going to LA auto show tomorrow, so I will check out both cars but of course I will test drive it on the street at a dealership. Jeep’s entry to mid level cars have cheap plasticy interior usually, you can tell that by looking at Jeep cherokee’s push button start button and the plastic around it, looks very cheap. I assume Outlander’s interior is better, will see tomorrow.
As far as look, I personally only like Cherokee’s front face, side profile doesn’t look that great and rear is ok. I think Outlander’s look is also very rugged and masculine and has a nicer side profile, the rear is ok. Overall look I think I like the Outlander more and I only like Jeep’s front face with iconic seven slots and jeepy look.
I don’t even discuss reliability because we are comparing a Japanese product to a chrysler product. Outlander wins for sure.
I didn’t know the 10 year old warranty doesn’t transfer, because it did on my other cars before, however I do not expect major repairs needed until 100k miles but you never know.
Outlander also has slightly better mpg if I compare it to Jeep’s standard 2.4L, the 2.0T costs $3k more.
i think the only thing that draws me to Jeep is the brand in the US and the jeepy look of the front and that Jeep only makes crossovers and SUVs. Anything else, I think Outlander is the winner for me. I am not sure how outlander is but I like its roots, I grew up somewhere that Pajeros were very respected, that’s why I like outlander too, of course that car is a real SUV and Outlander was built on a car platform but still I think the DNA is there.
I also like that outlander is a bit longer and looks a bit bigger than rav4, crv, cherokee, maybe because it is narrow and long it looks taller I am not sure. Oh, and the fact that they aren’t too mainstream is also cool. Cherokees aren’t that common like rav4 crv and rogue either.
Still debating but I think I should go with Outlander if I want a good looking crossover with decent mpg, not too common, and good reliability, it also looks more adventurous than its competitors , at least to me.

Last edited by Arazito; 12-01-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wheeldog
These are pretty much my thoughts too.

One thing you may want to check out on the Jeep test drive is how you feel about auto start-stop. For me, this feature adds no value but a lot of annoyance since it needs to be turned off each time I start the car. Some people don't mind the system, but many like me don't. Just a thought about one other difference that may matter.
oh I think it will annoy me too, I once drove a friend’s car with that feature and I hated it, and the fact that you need to turn it off every time sounds frustrating.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:46 AM

I am thinking about the 2016 or 2017 SEL model.

Should I get the AWC or the FWD? I live in Los Angeles and I won’t go off roading with the car really. The AWC will only help me not to put chains on the tires in winter if I go to nearby areas where snows like big bear. Plus I am getting the 4cyl, so the AWC will add some weight but I am still debating. What would you say?

Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 PM

If you live where you get snow, I don't see the point in buying an SUV/CUV without AWD. But for someone in Los Angeles you have to weigh how often you go up in the mountains with snow. It's certainly nice to not have to chain up, but if you're only talking once or twice a year, factor that into your decision. And it barely even rains where you live, either. I have AWD, but mine stays in 2WD mode 90% of the time, and I live in a snowy climate. Most owners never take their cars off road, and I don't think the Outlander is the most capable car for that anyway.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:42 PM

2 times per year is probably maximum number of times I will be in a snowy area but I always thought an SUV/CUV should be equipped with AWD. I definitely do not NEED the awd and I don’t know if the mpg differences between fwd and awd will be significant. Plus, I am planning to keep the outlander for at least 6-7 years so I don’t know how the maintenance/repairs of the awd system will look like.

Is driving in AWC ECO mode (basically fwd) helps with getting mpg closer to a regular fwd? or that added weight to the car due to the awd system will still affect the mpg a lot regardless of driving in ECO?

Last edited by Arazito; 12-08-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:58 AM

There will be a mileage difference. I don't know the EPA ratings, but it's probably 1-2 MPGs difference. Eco will help, but it's the added weight that makes more of a difference. I wouldn't even consider maintenance an issue. In 100,000 miles it should provide trouble-free service, and the only maintenance in that period would be a differential oil change. Sounds like you want the AWD to me. Just remember, tires matter. Worn all-season tires and AWD won't do you any good in the snow.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by copyboy311
There will be a mileage difference. I don't know the EPA ratings, but it's probably 1-2 MPGs difference. Eco will help, but it's the added weight that makes more of a difference. I wouldn't even consider maintenance an issue. In 100,000 miles it should provide trouble-free service, and the only maintenance in that period would be a differential oil change. Sounds like you want the AWD to me. Just remember, tires matter. Worn all-season tires and AWD won't do you any good in the snow.
I mean I prefer Awd if the mpg difference is not that big and assuming the reliability should be as we expect. I will probably get a 2016 SEL awd if I find a good deal, if not I will just get the fwd SEL. I went to the LA auto show and sat in both the cherokee and the outlander. The cherokee’s material are pretty good too and the car is wider but somehow it looked smaller than the outlander. I also need to pay more if I get the Jeep since it is a 2019 (earlier ones have an ugly face) model and the mpg is lower and also the reliability in the long run is questionable. Still like the Jeep brand but I think Outlander is a better choice.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 PM

Do you think the AWD system will last until 200k mile?

I am planning to keep the car for a long time and it will probably go to about 200k, I think the engine will probably be capable of getting there but I am wondering if the AWD system would. Do you know about mitsubishi’s awd system reliability ratings in the past?

Old 12-30-2018, 10:26 AM
Default How important safety is for you?

IIHS (Insurance Institute for highway Safety) in the US recently revealed the 57 safest cars that earned Safety Pick or Safety Pick+ ratings from the institute. Only one out of 57 vehicles is a US made one (Chrysler Pacifica). None of the US made SUVs (compact, midsize or large) made this list. The Mitsubishi Outlander is on this list:
IIHS safest vehicle list for 2019

Jeep Cherokee made it to the precious group of the 5 least reliable cars in 2015 (as per Consumer Reports). Interestingly, all five cars in that list are US made (4 of them US brands, one Japanese brand but assembled in the US):
Consumer Reports 5 least reliable cars in 2015
I do not believe in miracles, so I would safely say that the Jeep is at the bottom of the reliability ratings even today.

Safety and reliability are on the very top of my personal list of values, therefore Jeep Cherokee would not even deserve a test drive if I was up for a new vehicle.
The honeymoon period can end very soon if your relatively new car have to be taken frequently to the dealer for any kind of repair. There are people though, who like variety and enjoy driving loaners and courtesy cars, while their own ride is fixed. It would drive me crazy.

Having said that I would strongly disadvise you to take any concrete recommendation from any of us as we all have different values that are likely different from yours. I would suggest to eliminate (as much as possible) factors that are obtained by senses only and base the decision primarily on facts.

There is no perfect car on the market and will never be, so when you gather the values that are important for you in a car order them carefully before you make any decision and once it is done stick to it: namely, do not complain about any shortcoming that is down on your own list. You simply have to accept it and live with it. If it causes trouble for you, most likely you have not ordered your values properly so reshuffle your list.
Many people make the wrong decision when they buy a new car. How do I know it? Because there are way too many 1-3 years old cars on the used car market.They all represent "buyer's regrets". They also represent a lot of lost money that migrated to the pockets of dealers and 2nd owners. If it is acceptable according to your list you can buy either of the two vehicles.

Good luck and happy new year to all members!

Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
IIHS (Insurance Institute for highway Safety) in the US recently revealed the 57 safest cars that earned Safety Pick or Safety Pick+ ratings from the institute. Only one out of 57 vehicles is a US made one (Chrysler Pacifica). None of the US made SUVs (compact, midsize or large) made this list. The Mitsubishi Outlander is on this list:
IIHS safest vehicle list for 2019

Jeep Cherokee made it to the precious group of the 5 least reliable cars in 2015 (as per Consumer Reports). Interestingly, all five cars in that list are US made (4 of them US brands, one Japanese brand but assembled in the US):
Consumer Reports 5 least reliable cars in 2015
I do not believe in miracles, so I would safely say that the Jeep is at the bottom of the reliability ratings even today.

Safety and reliability are on the very top of my personal list of values, therefore Jeep Cherokee would not even deserve a test drive if I was up for a new vehicle.
The honeymoon period can end very soon if your relatively new car have to be taken frequently to the dealer for any kind of repair. There are people though, who like variety and enjoy driving loaners and courtesy cars, while their own ride is fixed. It would drive me crazy.

Having said that I would strongly disadvise you to take any concrete recommendation from any of us as we all have different values that are likely different from yours. I would suggest to eliminate (as much as possible) factors that are obtained by senses only and base the decision primarily on facts.

There is no perfect car on the market and will never be, so when you gather the values that are important for you in a car order them carefully before you make any decision and once it is done stick to it: namely, do not complain about any shortcoming that is down on your own list. You simply have to accept it and live with it. If it causes trouble for you, most likely you have not ordered your values properly so reshuffle your list.
Many people make the wrong decision when they buy a new car. How do I know it? Because there are way too many 1-3 years old cars on the used car market.They all represent "buyer's regrets". They also represent a lot of lost money that migrated to the pockets of dealers and 2nd owners. If it is acceptable according to your list you can buy either of the two vehicles.

Good luck and happy new year to all members!
happy New year everyone!

yes, I definitely know by fact that the Outlander is a safer car and the jeeps, all models, don’t have good reliablity rating, 2019 models could be different but I doubt it. It was just an option I was considering since I liked the style. Dependibility is on top of my list along with safety, I currently drive a small hatchabck in a city where a lot of people drive larger vehicles, so SUV will for sure be safer. Looks is important to me as well and I do like the look of fhe 2016+ Outlanders.

I already test drove a 2016 Outlander SEL and I really liked it, but through my recent research on the net, I have read about some serious quality deficiency with Mitsubishi cars after the early 2000s, is this a fact? I know Mitsu cars from way back in my country and I know they are a quality Japenese brand. Do you know about the quality of the 2016+ Outlanders? Because If I am getting a Mitsubishi I assume this thing will last until 100k mileage with no major problem.

Another issue I was reading about was the possibility of Mitsubishi dealers closing out soon in the US and some consumers complained about the dealers not having available mechanics at the dealers to fix cars on time. Some complained about paint chips and low quality paint job on their outlanders. Actually the the 2016 model i test drove had paint chips all over the hood. What is your opinion on the dealership issue?

I definitely like the outlander and I am just here to ask the owners about their opinion so I have a better picture, because no one really knows better than the owners.

Your input is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Why would you prefer your Outlander over Jeep Cherokee?