Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Why would you prefer your Outlander over Jeep Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:09 AM
Default Why would you prefer your Outlander over Jeep Cherokee?

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I wanted to know the opinion of outlander owners, especially the ones in the US.

Having driven small hatchbacks, I have decided to get a compact SUV this time and I do not want to go with very mainstream options such as Rav4, CRV or Nissan Rogue. I want something with masculine look and decent mpg.

After reserching a bit I have narrowed down my choices to the 2016+ Outlander (SE or SEL 4cyl) and 2019 Jeep Cherokee latitude plus (dont like the look of pre-19 cherokees).

i wanted to know why would you prefer your 2016+ Outlander over ‘19 cherokee? Or would you? I’d appreciate your input as it can also help me with more considerations and choosing the right car for me.
Note: I will not use the 3rd row seating of the Outlander very often so please weigh this advantage a little less but it is there and it can be useful at times.

your input is much appreciated!

Last edited by Arazito; 11-29-2018 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:05 AM

Better Warranty, Not FCA, Quality Japanese Build, More Features More Bank for Your Buck, Better Technology. A 2019 or 2018 can be had fully loaded for less than a garbage Jeep. The Mitsubishi will last you a lifetime the Jeep will barely make it two - three years.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:02 AM

I personally think the new Cherokee is better looking, but the Outlander does offer more for the money. And the warranty is solid, as is the reliability record.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:10 PM

I agree that you get better bang for the buck with the Outlader. If this comparison was between pre 2019 cherokee and outlander I would’t even rethink this because cherokee used to be ugly. I like the overal look of the Outlander better, however cherokee’s new face is nice too. Outlander is a bit bigger too when you look at both cars even thouh it is narrower. One thing I like about the jeep is that you get vinyl/leatherette seats in mid trim but I need to get the SEL outlander to get leather seats. Another thing is that Jeep is better known in the US, hence better resale value I guess. BUT, I think I prefer the Outlander but I just keep debating between these two. I didn’t ask this in a jeep forum because they will probably say get the cherokee because it is a JEEP.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:35 AM

You can really get a good deal on 2018 left overs and 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander in December promotions end of year sales. No way a FCA product has a better resale value or reliability over Japanese. Check truecar offer the lowest amount Mitsubishi is very aggressive with discounts

​​​​

Old 11-30-2018, 12:52 AM

I am actually planning on getting a used 2016-2017 SE or SEL model with low miles. Already depreciated in value and warranty still good for many years. I kind of like the front grill on the 2016-2017 models compared to the new one.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 AM

To clarify, though, the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty is only for the first owner and is not transferable. Subsequent owners get a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. Not sure exactly what it covers. That's what I got as a second owner of my 2007 Outlander, but I will add that nothing happened in that 60-100,000 mile range that needed warranty coverage anyway. 100,000 miles for powertrains these days can easily be attained by most properly maintained cars, particularly the Outlander.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:58 AM

If my '07 died today, it would be hard to get me into another one. While I really like my '07 and the 3.0L engine w/ AWD, a newer one with that combo is lacking. I think the front end on the new one is really gawdy...I've seen some on here who have dipped some of the chrome away to make it acceptable. New 6B31 recommends premium gas for 4hp more....not worth the price hike.

I know nothing about the Jeep.

I've enjoyed just as much success with my Impreza as the Outlander (maintenance and cost of ownership). if the Outlander died/got crunched, would likely look at Subaru first.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:07 PM

Kind of depends on what you're after. If little else matters than style, that's personal preference. You're correct about the widespread ubiquity of the Jeep, everyone knows what that is and there are a lot of them. I don't see nearly as many as Mits's, but more/less common brands have pluses and minuses. I like that there are more support and bigger community with bigger brands (in US), but I don't like that everyone has them. As I've said in my other posts, I needed the smallest 7 seater available. If you don't need 7 seats, your options open up massively. I only had the Mits and the Rogue as viable options. There are things I like and dislike about both, but I'm overall glad I got this. It's my wife's daily driver, and safety and reliability were more important than anything else. Not to generalize too much, but Jeeps and Nissans don't have the Outlander's track record for reliability and warranty. These things change year to year and model to model, so I can't say for certainty about that '19 Jeep you're considering. The pro about the reliability also comes with a downside. The fact that it's been tried and true for many years means that it is also means the car is more dated then these other brands models that update every four years. I can tell when I drive the Outlander, it's just not as tight and modern. It's more rough around the edges, but it's solid and I don't worry about breakdowns with routine maintenance. I am a "driver" so I prefer driver performance oriented cars. The Outlander isn't that, but it checks most other boxes. Cars have lots of trade offs when deciding, it really depends on what matters most to you.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by copyboy311
I personally think the new Cherokee is better looking, but the Outlander does offer more for the money. And the warranty is solid, as is the reliability record.
These are pretty much my thoughts too.

One thing you may want to check out on the Jeep test drive is how you feel about auto start-stop. For me, this feature adds no value but a lot of annoyance since it needs to be turned off each time I start the car. Some people don't mind the system, but many like me don't want it at all. Just a thought about one other difference that may matter.

Last edited by Wheeldog; 12-01-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Why would you prefer your Outlander over Jeep Cherokee?