Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Why would you prefer your Outlander over Jeep Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM

As we have been saying, the Outlander is a solid choice if you expect 100,000 trouble-free miles (and more). While most Outlanders of the past 8 years or so have the 4-cylinder engine, I have a 2007 with the V6, and it's given me very little trouble and now has 147,000 miles. Other owners here have more than that. Zero engine problems, zero transmission problems. Regular recommended maintenance performed. Age-related issues of late have included replacing the radiator, suspension and brake rotors.

I've heard few complaints from 4-cylinder owners either. As a used car, you'll be covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles. New owners get a 100k warranty, so that's the manufacturer showing confidence in its product that few other brands do. I think most of Mitsubishi's problems came from the old Eclipse.

Mitsubishi sales in the US have been on a steady climb since 2011 when they bottomed out. Google it and you can see the figures yourself. They're hardly a leader in US auto sales, but they're healthy enough. Globally, they are still a big brand. The area I live in has at least three Mitsubishi dealers within a 30-minute drive. I use them for some of the specialized services like timing belts and recalls, of course. I would say I have heard of paint issues; at the price their cars are at, you're not getting premium paint jobs. I don't personally have any paint problems other than a few minor chips and some clear coat cracking on the roof from being a 12-year-old car. Get a bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer.

If you like it, just buy it already! I wouldn't worry much about the stuff you mentioned.

Last edited by copyboy311; 01-16-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by copyboy311
As we have been saying, the Outlander is a solid choice if you expect 100,000 trouble-free miles (and more). While most Outlanders of the past 8 years or so have the 4-cylinder engine, I have a 2007 with the V6, and it's given me very little trouble and now has 147,000 miles. Other owners here have more than that. Zero engine problems, zero transmission problems. Regular recommended maintenance performed. Age-related issues of late have included replacing the radiator, suspension and brake rotors.

I've heard few complaints from 4-cylinder owners either. As a used car, you'll be covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles. New owners get a 100k warranty, so that's the manufacturer showing confidence in its product that few other brands do. I think most of Mitsubishi's problems came from the old Eclipse.

Mitsubishi sales in the US have been on a steady climb since 2011 when they bottomed out. Google it and you can see the figures yourself. They're hardly a leader in US auto sales, but they're healthy enough. Globally, they are still a big brand. The area I live in has at least three Mitsubishi dealers within a 30-minute drive. I use them for some of the specialized services like timing belts and recalls, of course. I would say I have heard of paint issues; at the price their cars are at, you're not getting premium paint jobs. I don't personally have any paint problems other than a few minor chips and some clear coat cracking on the roof from being a 12-year-old car. Get a bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer.

If you like it, just buy it already! I wouldn't worry much about the stuff you mentioned.
Thanks for your input. I know they are quality brand and although they don’t sell well in the US, I still think their quality is no less than Honda or Toyota which sell like crazy. I will probably pull the trigger on a ‘16 SEL Awd once one with good mileage comes up, there aren’t many for sale around where I live. Maybe more will come up this year for sale once the ones leased in 2016 are returned in 2019.
I also notice some reviews call the vehicle “just a basic SUV”, I agree it is not a luxury or a rugged SUV for hardcore off roading but it is a nice SUV, it is interesting “basic” is not mentioned for RAV4 and CRV in their reviews. This vehicle is nothing less than those 2 competitors.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Arazito

Thanks for your input. I know they are quality brand and although they don’t sell well in the US, I still think their quality is no less than Honda or Toyota which sell like crazy. I will probably pull the trigger on a ‘16 SEL Awd once one with good mileage comes up, there aren’t many for sale around where I live. Maybe more will come up this year for sale once the ones leased in 2016 are returned in 2019.
I also notice some reviews call the vehicle “just a basic SUV”, I agree it is not a luxury or a rugged SUV for hardcore off roading but it is a nice SUV, it is interesting “basic” is not mentioned for RAV4 and CRV in their reviews. This vehicle is nothing less than those 2 competitors.
For what it's worth, I hate the CRV. I've seen more grandmas driving those than any others mentioned in this thread.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM

And don't just believe what the automotive press says. Consider the actual owners' opinions. The 2016 has a pretty strong rating: https://www.cars.com/research/mitsub...sumer-reviews/

Old 01-17-2019, 01:08 PM

And don't just believe what the automotive press says. Consider the actual owners' opinions. The 2016 has a pretty strong rating: https://www.cars.com/research/mitsub...sumer-reviews/
i agree on the CRV thing. Yes I have seen mixed reviews about these cars. The consumers gave this car a very good rating and it is on the list of top 10 most reliable cars reported on consumer reports but in the same list Consumer reports says although the outlander managed to be on this list, the CR doesn’t recommend this car.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:31 PM

I'll leave the conversation with this: Motor Trend's long-term report on the 2016 Outlander. It's not their favorite CUV, but they had no qualms about its cost to own or reliability. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mits...eview-verdict/

Personally, I'll give my Outlander another year or two if it survives. But considering my next car, only the PHEV Outlander would make the cut among all Outlanders. I think I'd like the new Mazda CX-5 more, and I also find the Buick Regal TourX wagon at least worth a look as well.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:57 PM

I'll leave the conversation with this: Motor Trend's long-term report on the 2016 Outlander. It's not their favorite CUV, but they had no qualms about its cost to own or reliability. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mits...eview-verdict/

Personally, I'll give my Outlander another year or two if it survives. But considering my next car, only the PHEV Outlander would make the cut among all Outlanders. I think I'd like the new Mazda CX-5 more, and I also find the Buick Regal TourX wagon at least worth a look as well.
Even this review is not good, they say with all other SUVs on the market, they think you should get this vehicle if frugality is your priority.
The new CX-5 is definitely nice but I find the outlander more rugged looking otherwise the used price between the outlander and the cx-5 is not that different. The other SUV I would consider is 4runner but the mpg is not that great and of course it is more expensive, otherwise I would just get the 4runner.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:04 AM

If you haven't bought yet I would get the SAWC for more reasons than snow. It is great for curves and steaing out of an accident situation because it was developed with the same technology as the racing lancer Evo which reduces yaw and body roll in curves.

You won't find that in
Jeep, crv or rogue. Also Outlander all built in Japan.