Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.
View Poll Results: A poll
2WD
52.63%
4WD Auto
36.84%
4WD Lock
10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

On your 2nd Gen 4WD Outlander, which drive mode do you use most?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008 | 07:34 PM
|
Default On your 2nd Gen 4WD Outlander, which drive mode do you use most?

I've just been reading back through some old threads on the 4WD system and how it works, and fuel economy.

Now educated via: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...0&mime=ASC
and based on my own 3 months experience with my Outlander, I now drive everywhere with it on 4WD Lock; all the time. Never move the ****.

My reasons for thisare that:

a. The vehicle feels and drives a whole lot better, especially noticable in the twisties when you are pressing on a bit. Compared with the other two modes, the difference is night and day. In Lock, the handling is transformed closer to an Evo or Subaru WRX Sti (which have similar torque splits - I used to own the Subaru). The vehicle handles neutrally, and around bends, you can squeal the tires at will in total control - its awesome. In either of the other two modes, there is marked understeer and slippage.

b. After much trialling, I have noticed no discernable difference infuel economy. Tire wear remains to be seen.

Is there any reason not to drive everywhere on Lock? I honestly can't think of one.

Old 01-04-2008 | 09:12 PM
Default RE: On your 2nd Gen 4WD Outlander, which drive mode do you use most?

Well, if you live in a country where there are snowfalls, then the 4WD Lock is great for you. For me, in Toronto, we sometimes get snowfall, and onces, there was about 30 cm of snow, my outlander preform GREAT on a 3 hr drive on the highway with the LOCK. There were still a good 10 cm on the highway, so the 4WD LOCK did it by it self, I still had my stock summer tires on at that time.

I use 4WD Auto when roads are wet, or if it is raining or just some light snow.

For 2WD, is when I will use it in the summer days, road is dry dry, and bright bright sunshine. I never switch my outlander back to 2WD since september of 07.

Im pretty sure there are some fuel saving between 4WD Lock and 4WD Auto. Maybe is really little through.

Old 01-05-2008 | 05:07 AM

I bought my Outie in middle of october'07. There is snow and mud at this time. I switched to 4WD Auto and don't plan to return to 2WD till summer and dry roads.

Yesterday on absolyte icy road I test all 3 modes ofmy Outi'e. It was great.
On 2WD I pushed gas fully. On ASC OFF the tacho showed 6500 rpm, front wheels spinned like crazy, but speed still 5kph
When I turned 4WD Lock and ASC to ON - I feel great stability.

But only think worry my about everyday drive on 4WD Lock mode. The fail safe system will disconnect rear axis when rear coupling get overheat. I guess that loading to rear coupling in 4WD Lock mode will be more heavy than in 4WD auto. Than overheat and "safe 2WD mode"will be more quickly. In Russia on test drove it was be but I newer saw it. I still use 4WD Auto mode.

Whatare you think about?
It's very interest for me.

Old 01-05-2008 | 08:01 AM
|

In Florida we obviously never get snowfall. But I use lock anyway because, to quote Mitsu:

"In dry conditions, 4WD Lock mode places priority on performance. More torque is directed to the rear wheels than in 4WD Auto mode to provide greater power off the line, better control when accelerating on snowy or loose surfaces, and enhanced stability at high speeds. Rear wheel torque transfer is increased by 50 percent over the amounts in 4WD Auto mode - meaning up to 60 percent of available torque is sent to the rear wheels under full-throttle acceleration on dry pavement. When in 4WD Lock mode, torque at the rear wheels is reduced by a smaller degree through corners than with 4WD Auto mode".

It just drives better, dry or wet.

Old 01-05-2008 | 08:03 AM
|

Sergy,

Its hot year round where I live - no sign of any overheating. I think for it to overheat, you'd have to be doing some fairly stressful off roading. Just driving on a dry road - no chance, as I said earlier, most of the 4WD sportscars have similar torque distribution to the Outie in 4WD Lock, all the time.

Old 01-05-2008 | 09:54 AM

Kwanger,
thank you for explanation. I hope that my Outie never lets me down.

Me and my friends seriosly learn about transmission in 2nd generation of Outlander. Overheat may cause when you'll drive in hard conditions. Rear coupling has a "magic ball" that disconnects rear axis when spinning speeds both of front and rear axis are equal. That ball prevents overloading and overheating the rear coupling.

If that is still interest for you, I can upload a PDF file with more detail information.

In your climate you driveon excellentdry roads. We driveabout 5-6months on icy and snowy. Feel the difference.
But I'll ask my friends about all-time lock mode.

Old 01-05-2008 | 01:58 PM

4WD Auto rain or shine.

Old 01-05-2008 | 06:02 PM

The shop manual talks about a number of reasons why the car will switch out of 4WD Lock. One of which is if you use a different size tire on one wheel (i.e the spare). The car will sense a speed difference benteen the front an the rear and automatically switch out of the mode to prevent damage. If the fuel consumption meter didn't auto reset we'ed have a better chance of seeinghow much more fuel it uses. As for the tire ware again the shop manual givesome hints on how that would happen. My feeling is that it would happen more if you use lock mode on dry road and do a lot of very tight turns.

Old 01-05-2008 | 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Sergy
If that is still interest for you, I can upload a PDF file with more detail information.
Sergy I'd like this pdf. Could you please send it to me...?
THX

Poll : 4wd auto

Old 01-05-2008 | 08:06 PM
|

ORIGINAL: abadlot

ORIGINAL: Sergy
Sergy I'd like this pdf. Could you please send it to me...?
THX

Poll : 4wd auto
Likewise Sergy, sounds interesting.

Quick Reply: On your 2nd Gen 4WD Outlander, which drive mode do you use most?