Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.
View Poll Results: A poll
2WD
52.63%
4WD Auto
36.84%
4WD Lock
10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

On your 2nd Gen 4WD Outlander, which drive mode do you use most?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Default RE: On your 2nd Gen 4WD Outlander, which drive mode do you use most?

ORIGINAL: chenarm

The shop manual talks about a number of reasons why the car will switch out of 4WD Lock. One of which is if you use a different size tire on one wheel (i.e the spare). The car will sense a speed difference benteen the front an the rear and automatically switch out of the mode to prevent damage. If the fuel consumption meter didn't auto reset we'ed have a better chance of seeinghow much more fuel it uses. As for the tire ware again the shop manual givesome hints on how that would happen. My feeling is that it would happen more if you use lock mode on dry road and do a lot of very tight turns.
You are probably right on the tire wear. My Subaru ate tires so fast, I could've sworn someone was taking the car out at night and doing donuts in it!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Hi guys
Iam really new here, but i was reading lots. Just bought the new 2008 XLSinblack. I LOVE IT
If i would like to drive all times 4wd mode i'll buy a 4wd drive vehicle. We have CHOICE so use it. I belive thatmade for us, so I drive most of 2WD if the weater cond.change I change the driving mode too to 4WD , getting worst( lots of snow, rain ) use lock mode.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 AM

As I see here are many smart guys. See - there is a our Outie'07 rear coupling:

ELECTRONIC CONTROL COUPLING FEATURES
The electronic control coupling realises the highly reliable 4WD system with lighter weight and simpler construction.

CONSTRUCTION

The electronic control coupling is comprised of the front housing, main clutch, main cam, ball, pilot cam, armature, pilot clutch, rear housing, magnetic coil, and shaft. z The front housing is joined to the propeller shaft and rotates along with the shaft. z The main clutch and pilot clutch are assembled to the front housing on the outer side and to the shaft on the inner side (The pilot clutch is installed via the pilot cam). z The shaft is engaged via serrations with the drive pinion of the rear differential.
OPERATION COUPLING STOPS (2WD: MAGNETIC COIL DE-ENERGISED.)

The drive force from the transfer is transmitted to the front housing connected to the propeller shaft. The drive force is also transferred to the pilot clutch and the outer side of the main clutch assembled to the front housing. Because the pilot clutch and the main clutch are not engaged with the magnetic coil de-energised, the drive force is not transferred to the shaft and the drive pinion of the rear differential.
Coupling operates (4WD: Magnetic coil energised.)

The drive force from the transfer is transmitted to the front housing connected to the propeller shaft. The drive force is also transferred to the pilot clutch and the outer side of the main clutch assembled to the front housing. When the magnetic coil is energised, the magnetic field is generated among the rear housing, pilot clutch, and armature. The magnetic field induces the pilot clutch and armature to engage the pilot clutch. When the pilot clutch is engaged, the drive force is transferred to the pilot cam.

When there is a difference in wheel angle between the front and rear wheels (i.e. rotation speed of the propeller shaft is different from that of the drive pinion), the rotation speed of the pilot cam applied with the drive force and that of the main cam not applied with the drive force become different. The ball slides along the curved space between the pilot cam and main cam by the rotational speed difference and pushes the pilot cam and main cam. Then, the main clutch is pushed toward the main cam to engage. When the main clutch is engaged, the drive force is transferred to the rear wheels via the shaft and the drive pinion of the rear differential. z By controlling the current applied to the magnetic coil, the amount of the drive force transferred to the rear wheels can be controlled within the range of 0 to 100%.
-----
I selected with bold type main idea.

Sergy. With respect from Russian Outlander club.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:02 PM

Well I use to keep in in 2wd until it started snowing (have had outtie for 7 months now). Then I would put it in 4wd Auto for rain or icy roads. 4wd Lock for snow packed roads or worse. But yes after being on the boards for a while now, I have now decided to use 4wd Auto for every-day driving. And use 2wd when on the highway for longer trips of 30 min or more. And use 4wd Lock when needed.

The car does handle so much better when in 4wd Auto. There is less torque steer for sure. And gas mileage doesnt seem to take much of a hit at all. Though when I had in 4wd Lock for a straight week, I was getting considerably much less mpg's. Like 8 less. But everything I have read actually points out that 4wd Auto is what the system is designed for being in all the time, and I agree.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: tdford

Well I use to keep in in 2wd until it started snowing (have had outtie for 7 months now). Then I would put it in 4wd Auto for rain or icy roads. 4wd Lock for snow packed roads or worse. But yes after being on the boards for a while now, I have now decided to use 4wd Auto for every-day driving. And use 2wd when on the highway for longer trips of 30 min or more. And use 4wd Lock when needed.

The car does handle so much better when in 4wd Auto. There is less torque steer for sure. And gas mileage doesnt seem to take much of a hit at all. Though when I had in 4wd Lock for a straight week, I was getting considerably much less mpg's. Like 8 less. But everything I have read actually points out that 4wd Auto is what the system is designed for being in all the time, and I agree.
Interesting on that fuel economy, I'll have to trial some more; I've not really noticed any difference, certianly not to the tune of 8mpg. You say the car handles so much better in 4WD Auto over 2WD - I find there is a similar difference between auto and lock, although its only really noticable hard off the line or when pressing on on twisty roads.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks Sergy; very interesting.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Kwanger

Interesting on that fuel economy, I'll have to trial some more; I've not really noticed any difference, certianly not to the tune of 8mpg. You say the car handles so much better in 4WD Auto over 2WD - I find there is a similar difference between auto and lock, although its only really noticable hard off the line or when pressing on on twisty roads.

I should of put a note to that: Like I said I know use 4wd Lock for snow packed roads or worse. So when I used it for a straight week in those conditions (snow, cold etc) that kind of decrease is what was expected... like letting car warm up longer, slower speeds with more stop and go (city). So its not like it was a 8mpg decrease on dry roads.

And yes, definitely a difference in handling from 2wd to EITHER 4wd option. And Yes Auto and Lock will feel similar. Just Lock will be a bigger help in bad conditions.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM

I have had the same experience as you, the time I have used Lock my fuel consumption was up about 25%, but that was with 12 inches of snow on the ground,I would have probably gotten the same on any drive mode.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 PM

I have gone back and forth on this issue. When I first got the Outie, I left it in 4wd auto for the first 2 months till I took it to the dealer, and for some reason, the HEAD mechanic told me not to ever use 4wd in anything other than snow. So for the next month I left it in only 2wd only to read articles saying 4wd lock has better handling (and obviouslynot harmful) and tried it for a while and noticed a dramatic difference. So, now I use 4wd lock most of the time, when I am on slower roads, and more curvy roads, but when on the highway, doing 80+ I tend to leave it in 4wd auto, although sometimes I forget to switch it. I feel better leaving it in lock mode though, because it really does change the handling of the outie and makes it drive more like a sports car than a crossover SUV.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 PM

The first 1000 miles i used 2wd then after I got oil change I put it in 4wd auto, i can feel a difference. I havent played with 4wd lock yet

Quick Reply: On your 2nd Gen 4WD Outlander, which drive mode do you use most?