Mitsubishi Raider The sybling truck to the Dodge Dakota, this sporty pickup combines versatility with economy.

Bad Smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Default Bad Smell

2007 Raider.
I have the odor in the cab of my truck. I had to leave the truck parked in the drive for a week and when I got back in to drive there is this strong chemical smell.
My wife said it is mouse urine, but there are no signs of mice.
Mother said it was mildew, but nothing was wet.
Someone told me about maybe mold in the A/C? Could this be it?
Has anyone had anything like this?
Does anyone know how to get rid of the smell?
I have tried running the heater on full hot with doors and windows open for 15 minutes, no luck.
Used active charcoal, baking soda, Ozium air cleaner. Nothing I try has worked.
After a day or 2 it odor is just as strong as before.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Banned
Default RE: Bad Smell

Leaking capacitors in the ECU

Old 11-04-2008, 06:02 PM

What is the ECU?
How d I replace them or is that something the dealer will need to look at?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Leaking capacitors in the ECU
I seriously doubt that on a 07. Ecu's are made totally better now then ones in the 1g's.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 PM

I think just REPLACE YOUR CABIN AIR FILTER

It is for the AC/HEATER to filterized the cabin with pollen and that stinky stuff you're smelling.

I hit a skunk last winter of 2007. the smell stayed for a year. it was horrible.

If you have Winter or snow,,, the cold weather will get rid of the smell

Mine was not the cabin filter problem some body parts of the skunk was under my car. A cat drag the dead skunk body parts out of my car and started to play with it.

I saw the tail of the skunk on my drive way and it stunk.

The cabin filter is behind the glove compartment it easy to remove the Compartment just pull the plastic screw downandremove the 2handles or hooksthat holds the glove compartment. replace the cabin air filter with a new one

simple problem but ifyou sprayed chemical in theengineor hit a can with chemical in it then I also recommend to go to a car wash and have a UNDER CARRIAGE wash

that will get rid of the smell too.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Banned

Oops I didn't see the year/model.

I'm willing to bet beat is right on.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:34 PM

Thank Beat I will give that a shot.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 AM

oh I forgot leave your air ductoff meaning fresh air from the outside is coming in.
Smell the air from the air duct if IT SMELL LIKE CHEMICALS IT IS COMING FROM THE OUTSIDE.

If not try this too... Turn On the air duct meaning only air from the cabin circulating
if you smell something the Cabin Filter is contaminated meaning there areresidue from the Chemicals.

Try your carpet too you might have step on something or even your shoes.

The cabin air filter is $25.00 buck at the dealer. the pain in the *** to take out is the cover for the filter make sure not to break the clip the holds the filter box. there might be three of them you will see 2 at front and might another 1 or 2 in the back near the firewall

I was bored so I did dismantle the Glove compartment last summer

goodluck

if it's Mice Urine I recommend that you steam vac your car. Mice carries Junta Virus or other viruses thru their Urine. the smell will never go away if you dont' STEAM VAC your car.

it is alsoreally bad for babies and toddlers when there's mice feces and urine in the car.

check everything before buying the air cabin filter.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:51 PM

Well I looked behind the glove compartment and there is no cabin filter. If there is there is no way to get to it without removing all of the blower housing.
There are no clips just 4 screws in the front and I can not get behind to feel any at the firewall side. I also tried the ac vent trick and I do not smell any odor when I do that.
I smell it after the truck has sat during the day or at night. I have smelt of the carpets, under the hood, even removed the door panels to smell in there. There are no signs or traces of mice.
The carpets have been vacuumed but not steamed but I do not smell it in the carpets or the seat covers. Nothing feels or looks like it has been wet. The ac drain is draining just fine and has been checked to see if it was clogged. After I am in the truck for a few minutes I can not smell it at all. But I can walk away and come back and smell it as soon as I open the door. I have also looked and smelt under the truck while it was cool and hot.
I am at a loss with this one. The chemical smell is not familiar so I do not know what to look for. But I will not give up.

Thanks for the replies. I will post if I figure it out.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 AM

Damn...

I had the same problem but my neighbor's cat solved my problem.

The air filter should be the same with my Lancer.

If the air filter case is white we have the same case. clips im talking about is attached to the case. only the bottom part of the case will be remove the upper part will remain.

if you smelled it when you open your door?

try cleaning all the doors especially the bottom part.

good luck

Quick Reply: Bad Smell