New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

95 eclipse gsx knocking sound please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Default 95 eclipse gsx knocking sound please help!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a 95 eclipse gsx and i was replacing the spark plugs and i started it up reved it to about 4000 or 5000 and all was well i drove it for about a mile and it started making a knocking noise i thought it may be bad plugs so i swaped them back to the ones before and it still makes the sound it only does it when hitting around 2500 or higher then mellows out or when you come at it hard then the knocking is just awfull it doesnt seem to change driving at all but that might change i was reading around and sounds like it could be a spun rod bearing now i knowthis isprobably a stupid question but what exactly happens ifi continue to drive itif it was that primarilly is i have work and no other means of transportation any ideas of what i can check before assuming the worst? please help!!!!!!!!!!
~thomas

Old 03-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned
Default RE: 95 eclipse gsx knocking sound please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Record it.

You sure its not lifter tick?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 PM

yeah im trying to take a video but i cant get a good enough sound out of it all you can hear is the motor but in reality its extremely loud sounds like a big rock slamming against a slab of sheet metal almost not sure if that helps

Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 PM

but there again is replacing the rod bearings a major fix? if i caught it soon enough?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM

auto or 5 speed?IF you got lucky and managed to catch it befor you damaged the crank,then maybe.but if you ran it up around 4-5k then the damage is more then likely realy bad.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 PM

its a 5 speedand i only drove it for a mile before bringing it back i mean its bad sounding but not anywhere as bad as ones i have heard on some videos i mean i havent reved it up that high i maybe stuck around 3000-3500 tops so yeah if it was just replacing bearings pricewise what would i be looking at?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:41 PM

do it make that noise when you have the clutch ingaged?or just when your moven?if that noise goes away when you hit the clutch i would look at the main and throw out bearing.as far as the bottem end,drain the oil,drop the oil pan,and try to wiggle the connecting rods back and forth on the crank.if they move some,you can order over sized bearings from the dealership,not too bad like $100 for a set of 4.i would realy have to hear it to know for sure.if it is a spun rod bearing,if you keep driven it,even easy(2500rpm max) you will eat away at the crank,and set the motor out of balance,witch will kill the other pistons and cylinder walls,and maybe even shoot a rod up into your head and smash your valves.all i can say is check it out,dont drive it.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 AM

yeah i have an apointment tomorrow at my mechanics ill just tow it there and have them take a look at it. grr this car has been nothing but problems since i got it it eats spark plugs as if they were m&ms i had to replace the tranny, it split in half, clutch went out simontanuously turns out that finding a rebuilt tranny for that car is a bitch to find. oh yeah and had to rebuild my turbo too ive only had this car a little over a year and ive spent more on the repairs than the car itself its coming to me now that its probably a lost cause. i dont even drive it hard. i thought it might be a lemon but after coming to this site i found all of them are like this. dsm unreliable impractical yet so extremley fun to drive ****ing ****subishi is what they should have named it

Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 PM

i owned a 95 gs eclipse that made the knocking noise at that same rpm. i replaced all the rod barrings and it has not made a noise sence. it was also a very easy task...the gsx engine im sure is a bit different but shouldent be to bad. good luck if that is your problem.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 PM

um....i tried that oversized barring thing in my v8.it worked __but__ it knocked off the ballance a bunch....really annoying....much vibration.....if there is not any damage done. i would go with stock size first.

Quick Reply: 95 eclipse gsx knocking sound please help!!!!!!!!!!!