New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

DSM Newbie Here

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Default DSM Newbie Here

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and new to dsm's in general. I just bought my first one a few weeks ago. It's a 1995 Eclipse GSX with a 6bolt swap from a 90 GSX. Other than the swap and the 3g revised lifters I installed yesterday, the car is completely stock.

I changed out the spark plugs about a week ago with E3's. Are these good plugs to run in this car?
From the time I bought the car I have been experiencing some performance issues. The clutch seems to be slipping. When boost kicks in, the RPMs crank up without any power increase to the tires, then the RPMs go back down and tires get power again. It doesn't do this all the time but more often than not, mostly when i'm gunning it. I've already bought a new clutch (6 puck ceramic stage 2 racing clutch from eClutchmaster on Ebay) to put in the car. Hopefully this will solve this issue. Any advise/constructive criticism would be great.

The other issue i'm having is more troubling to me. My CEL is on and the codes coming from it are, P0300 - Random cylider misfire, and P0443 - EVAP system purge control valve circuit.
My symptoms are as I'm coasting in gear (any gear) between 2700-3500 RPMs the engine kinda hiccups and then starts running rough. It starts shaking and when I add throttle it feels like the engine is misfiring and struggling to keep up with the load and produces a low tone roar from the exhaust. I can turn the car off and back on again and the car runs smooth again for a little bit then goes back to rough when I start cruising again.
The guy I bought the car from told me that the misfire code comes from the 6bolt swap and is a misread from the ECU and that I can install the ECMLink chip and set it to ignore the random misfire code and theengine would run fine afterward. Is this good advise? Will this solve my issue?
I have also read on another forum that the ticking from 1g lifters (which I did experience) get picked up by the knock sensor and interpreted as knock and retards the engine timing in order to compensate for this. For this reason, I installed the 3g revised lifters. After installation I let the car idle for 15-20mins and the lifters ticked loud. I turned the car off then started it back up and drove it to the gas station to fill up. The lifters still ticked loud. After adding 8 gallons in from empty I drove down the road to AutoZone and the lifters seemed to quiet down a bit, but the engine hiccuped into rough mode again. At AutoZone I had them read the CEL code and that's when I was told what they were. I then drove the road to Walmart and after leaving there I headed home. On the way to Walmart and home the engine didn't run rough, but felt like it wanted to by studdering thru the boost occasionally. After resting for an hour or so I needed to take the wife to the ER and on the way there the car ran smoothly, lifters were hardly noticeable as well. After leaving the ER the car ran smoothly again all the way home, however the CEL still remains on.
I do not know if this problem is solved (I'm not very confident that it is), as I have not driven the car at all today.

If anyone has any advise or possible diagnosis/solutions to the problem I am all ears (or more appropriately eyes). I am open to constructive criticism as well. Thanks for having me on the forum. I hope to learn a lot from the experienced members of the forum.