New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

eclipse gsx lagging

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Default eclipse gsx lagging

hello,
i have asked this question before and was asked to clarify my question so here's the "revised" version

Vehicle: 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD 4g63 Turbocharged

Symptom: Vehicle sometimes lags when driving. Sometimes the car has full power when floored on the accelerator, sometimes it lags horribly. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is NOT on. Turbo seems to be functioning correctly when this happens. (I installed a boost gauge and it reads somewhere in between 12-15 psi) the clutch and transmission were recently changed (approx. 15,000 miles ago), and the engine was rebuilt (approx. 35,000 miles ago) the car itself has (137,XXX miles) what seems to happen is i can be pinned and the car almost doesnt accelerate much, if any at all.

When I tend to notice it more is when i go up hills (even the slightest), when it is cold and hasn't warmed up, and when i'm lower than 3/4's of a tank of fuel. (and i do use premium)

so if any one has an idea, any thing at all can you please reply, this problem has been persisting for a while and it is getting tiresome.
I JUST WANT TO FIX IT!!!!!!
thank you for taking the time to read this post and any response to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

~Thomas~

~when the light turns green the GSX gets mean~

Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: eclipse gsx lagging

How old are the plugs and wires?

Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 PM

The spark plugs i had just replaced not too long ago, but did not fix the problem. The wires i have not replaced for as long as ive had the car, bit if it were the wires wouldnt it be doing it all of the time not just sometimes? im not doubting any thing, i really have no idea about that stuff. it did start to do it after i replaced my fuel filter, do you think it may be faulty or clogged already? i ran some sea foam through the fuel tank, but that did not seem to help.is there a way to test spark plug wires or is it a replace and either hit or miss deal?
thank you for your time and help.

~thomas~

~when the light turns green, the GSX gets mean~

Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

I would try changing the plug wires and go from there. A bad plug wire wont always make the car miss all the time. You'll notice it more on heavy acceleration, pretty much when ever there is a load on the engine.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM

thanks for your help!!! i appreciate it a lot!are they expensive to replace? also i had another question, i know i probably sound like all the other ricers out there, but, i heard theres a way to make a stock BOV sound louder by "bypassing" it. i was wondering on how to do this...

Old 12-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

You can pick up good used wires for abt $50.00 or new around $90-100. It depends which brand you get. Leave the bov recirculated, what I noticed on my car is that the bov is louder w/ a hard pipe intake instead of the crappy stock rubber hose. If you want to vent your bov try searching google.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 AM

You can check your ignition leads for resistance with an ohmmeter or multimeter (if u havn't already replaced them) set to the ohms to abot 20 thousand (20K) if the longest lead shows more than about 9K i would change them. Also there may be tracking (white streaks along the leads) or green corrosion on any of the plugs in the wiring harness. However this may be as simple a fix as a blocked fuel tank breather hose (disconnect it and blow it out with compressed air. See how you go with those.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 PM

i replaced the plugs with iridiums and the plug wires... No Bueno.... how would i do the breather thing? also i have an oil leak... it looks to be coming from the oil pressure sending unit, however a mechanic told me it was coming from the front main seal under the timing cover, however another mechanic told me if it was coming from there that the timing beltwould be drenched with oil or at least have some on it, so i checked it out by taking the top of the timing cover off and it looked clean as hell, not a drop of oil on it. so i have an after market A piller oil pressure gauge im putting on, but i need an adapter for the new sender, does anyone know what size the stock oil pressure gauge has so i can buy one for it, because i heard you can get one from home depot, and i did do research on the site, but i did'nt find anything about it... any response toward this is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

~Thomas~

~when the light turns green the GSX gets mean~

Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Well I would try to check your fuel pressure when it happens (whick can be a pita to tap in). Also try doing a boost leak test.

Btw a clogged fuel tank breather will have nothing to do w/ any drivability concern.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM

boost pressure is fine, reads around 12-14 when pinned. it doesnt do it all the time just some of the time, kinda randomly but, it seems to do it more when it is cold.... how would i tap in to find my fuel pressure? any sites on it so i know how i do it? and do you know what size threads are on the stock oil pressure sender? because i need to get an adapter for my new aftermarket one... (old one is leaking)...i dont know if that info helps that it does it a lot more when the engine is cold or in a higher gear like 4th or 5th.