New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hello Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:50 PM
X
Default RE: Hello Everyone

Hey everyone, I'm back. I've taken some pictures awhile back but on a new phone and I'm still trying to figure it all out. Once I'm able to transfer them onto my computer, I'll post them up right away. And about my engine problem, I've decided to just replace the engine with a used rebuilt one. My guess is that one of the pistons got screwed over due to lack of engine oil. Apparently, I had an oil leak and I didn't noticed it. I've thought that adding oil to it would help, but it was little to no help at all. When I turn my engine on, it makes this rattling noise which gave me the conclusion that it must be one of the pistons. I'd figured that replacing the engine would cost cheaper in the long run rather than getting it rebuilt.

Now that I've decided to change the engine, I've thought of other possibilities. I was wondering about other compatible engines for my car. I've heard that the engines from the EVOs can fit in a 2G Eclipse just fine. I was also curious about changing the transmission. The current transmission works fine, but I really would wish that I can drive a stick. I just don't know if it's possible to change it. I did try searching up the forums before I registered here, but I couldn't really find what I was looking for. Right now, I'm leaning towards the idea of just getting the stock engine and convert the transmission into manual if possible. Then beefing the engine up later on when I have the budget. So does anyone have info that I'm looking for? Also, opinions are open to my ideas of engine & transmission swaps.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:33 PM

you can convert the tranny but its extremely costly and time consuming. As far as the engine goes you would just be better off finding another 4g63t out of an eclipse. The only evo engine that will fit in our cars are the evo 3 engines, all the others are reversed and will not work.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 PM
X

Hmm, very interesting. I did have a feeling that I was better off replacing it with a matching engine. I am very curious about changing my transmission from auto to manual though. Would you happen to know a price estimate of changing the tranny by any chance?

Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 AM

Go to www.vfaq.com and it gives you a write up on how to do the swap on a 1st gen eclipse. I dont think it would be to much different for your eclipse. As for the cost it actually probably would not be to much if you can find a complete donor car, but if you have to buy the parts it will get extremely costly. And if you are really interested in doing this mt swap, then try to find you a six bolt engine because those are less prone to get crank walk. Just do a search on this site for crankwalk and you will see what im talking about.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 PM
X

Ok, I know that it has been a long time but here's the long awaited picture of my car.

Name:  l_a6a19fbc184371cd5db380453c251cb1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  46.9 KB

Old 06-14-2008, 01:10 AM
X

I've been extra busy with a lot of things and I've neglected my car for a long time. I work full time at a job that's 3 blocks away from home and I've been rennovating my room after work and during the weekends. The Fall Semester is about to start soon and I need to make sure that I have a running car if I want to go back and study. I have browsed through the vfaq site and this forum many times, but unfortunately I've been unmotivated to find and learn the info I need due to complete and utter exhaustion. Currently, I am very tired and have a major headache. But this time, I'm very determined to do my research tomorrow when I will be fully rested.

So you say that I should look into swapping my current engine with a 4g63t from a 1G eclipse, right? I was also wondering what other things I should look into when doing my research. I am no mechanic myself so I don't plan on doing any labor on my car. I already know exactly what I am supposed to do. My whole plan is to buy the necessary things (engine and other necessary parts) and learn about anything unusual that I should inform my mechanic (since I'm assuming some mechanics are unfamiliar with the whole 1G/2G swapping ordeal). Hopefully the mechanic will figure out things smoothly and I get to go back to school in time.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:38 AM

Welcome to the site!

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse

Welcome to the forums! Good luck with the car, hope its not the dreaded CW!
Quit trying to scare the guy Dusty. Don't plant that CW seed.[sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 06-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Rob
Banned

Hmm, a dsm with racing stripes...

Old 06-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Look nice but I'm not too crazy abt the strips.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:34 PM
X

Yeah, same here. When I got my car, she aleady had the racing stripes. After I get her a new engine, I'm planning to fancy her up a bit and give her a new paint job. I still haven't decided what color to dress her yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out on the way.

Quick Reply: Hello Everyone