New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

help with coilover

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 01:44 AM
Default help with coilover

is a coilover kit all i need to lower my eclipse

Old 07-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Default RE: help with coilover

It depends. You may also need a camber kit for you tires.

Old 07-05-2004, 01:05 PM

how will you know

Old 07-07-2004, 12:14 PM

I currently have HP Racing coilover suspension. The biggest reason why I decided on CO's, was because they are fully adjustable...so I can lower at shows and raise it up when i'm done.
To answer your question about camber...well, when you lower your car too much, it creates a huge problem. It makes your tires 'bow' out. The top points in and the bottom angles out. The camber correction kits available (Ingall's or Progress for example) are specially designed so that the counter the problem. You'll DEFINITELY know if you need a kit once the inside of your tires start getting all ate up....If you plan to lower your ride like I did, you'll need a camber correction kit....I have a Progress kit..and I'm extremely happy with it!
Peace.
Phil

[IMG]local://upfiles/1495/AA5463B77A8D4327947C3C9B4481137D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1495/B30A33F2F722482E86BB133D86EF953F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2004, 12:42 AM

appreciate the help. nice car too. same color as mine.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:00 AM

Hey Phil,
Are coil overs and camber kits easy enough to do it yourself, or should I leave it to a shop. I am not very mechanicly inclind [&:]

Thanks,
Stephen

Old 07-08-2004, 11:02 AM

Yup, it's fairly simple and straight forward. I'll tell you the honest truth, since I work on a military base, I have access to the Auto Hobby shop, where you can rent out a stall for $3 per hour....and that includes ALL your tools. So I had it a bit easy. But all you need are basic tools....I didn't really need a spring compressor, but because I was at the Hobby shop, they made me use it for safety purposes. Basically, your CO's replace your springs...if you can imagine your car being jacked up with the wheels and brake components off, all you see is the shock/strut assembly. Get your impact wrench (or manual which would SUCK!), undo the bolt that holds the bottom of the shock/strut in place, so that the three bolts up top (w/the hood popped) where you would install a upper strut brace are the only ones holding up the assy. Unbolt those three, and your assembly should come free. Once off, all you have to do is get that pesky old spring off by unbolting the top bolt. After that get your CO components together. Slip the sleeve around the shock, slip the spring over sleeve, and tighten the the lock (it screws down or up). Install the top portion of the shock and presto, you have yourself 1/4th of your CO's done.
Do the install in reverse order and you're all done. Repeat for the other 3. This was sort of a quickie...if you need indepth info feel free to PM me.
As for the camber correction kit, I had a buddy help me w/that, since he had prior knowledge. All I remember is that there was a cooler involved...and it was full of cold Coronas...so, your best bet would be to have someone or someplace w/the know-how to take care of that for ya!
Peace.
Phil

Old 07-08-2004, 07:06 PM

I have a question.....Im looking to get a lowering kit, but i havent decided what kind, i was looking at the tein and the eibaches, but i havent decided which one, and recommendations? Thanks

Old 07-11-2004, 02:26 AM

i just bought cheap *** set of co's from ebay they are brand name but probably crappy but they were cheap so i said what they hell. they should be in this week. so as soon as get them on i ll let ya know how they do.
hey 97 am i going to need a camber kit regardless of how far i drop it.
and i read your other post sorry dude

Old 07-11-2004, 10:28 AM

camber kit if you are dropping 2" or more. Which co's did you get I've been looking too. were they the dropzones?

Quick Reply: help with coilover