New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Information on Eclipse Spyders

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Default Information on Eclipse Spyders

Ok I am looking to buy a vehicle and one of the vehicles on my list to look at is the Eclipse Spyders and what better way to find out information about them than going to people that drive them.

What are common problems with these vehicles and are they the same or more expensive to fix and maintain?

What are the major differences between the Generation 2 ( 1995 - 99) and Generation 3 (2000 - 05) Vehicles. There is a big price difference between them as used vehicles.

I dont see many of them on the road up here in Vancouver (Canada) so are they any good in the snow

I know you all love your spyders on here so you opions may be a little bias but you all drive and repair them

Thank you for you help

Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Default RE: Information on Eclipse Spyders

Ok first of all. The 00-05 eclispe is known as a 3G the 95-99 is known as a 2g. Now the 2g and 3g are hardly the same at all. The 2Gs came with options different than the 3g. The 2g offered a 2.4L GS non turbo model which is very slow and a very good daily driver and is not hefty to repair at all. The next 2g model is a GST which is a 2.0L turbo version which is faster and can be made very fast but they are not as reliable.

The 3G offered a bunch of different versions
GS which again is a 2.4L non turbo again slow but very reliable
GT which is now the replacment of the GST it is a V6 they are quick cars and pretty reliable
GTS which is also a 3.0L V6 and has 15HP more than the GT and comes with a few more toys like disc changers side air bag ect ect and those are only options on the GT and GS

I have had 2 3G spyders both GT's one I had for a short time only had 32k when I bought it and traded it with 45k no issues at all great car. The second one now has around 75k on it and again no real issues other than normal maintanence. I also had a 3g GS not a spyder but essencially the same just not a drop top that one was a lemon but it is only because it was beat to hell and back. My sister now has a 3G GT with 80k on it and no issues lol.

The 2G turbo versions have a factory known motor defect called crank walk, just research that word, they have a tendency to break down oftenif not cared for

the 3Gs only known issues are the rotors are soft and worp easy, the center speakers are junk and blow out just by looking at them the wrong way, the motor mounts are weak sauce and causes wheel hop if you like to spin the tires alot and by doing that they crack the dashboards very easy. All things are not major like the 2g motor issue

Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 PM

Thank you EMonz57 for your information
Seems like for me a G2 is the way to go for reliability and low maintenance and repairs

I am going out to look at a 1997 today for $8000

Old 11-01-2007, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Mobiledj

Thank you EMonz57 for your information
Seems like for me a G2 is the way to go for reliability and low maintenance and repairs

I am going out to look at a 1997 today for $8000

I think you got me wrong here. The 2Gs are the maintanence ******. They require far more attention than the 3G does. the 3g has only a few minor hikups where as the 2Gs are famous for breaking and they have a factory motor problem which is a very expensive fix if your not counting on finxing a car. The 2g requires that you stay ontop of maintaning the car and driving it nice because they WILL be a headache if you dont

Old 11-01-2007, 04:15 PM

So I should be looking for a 3G Non Turbo unit then ...... I do not race my vehicle although I do drive fairly fast on freeways but my current vehicle Suzuki Sidekick has lasted over 15 years without in major problems

2g offered a 2.4L GS non turbo model which is very slow and a very good daily driver and is not hefty to repair at all.

This is what I am going to look at today the 2g 2.4L GS Non Turbo model, is this a good choice

Thanks again for your help

Old 11-01-2007, 05:23 PM

They are all good choices but depends on what you want. If you are not looking for a car that get 0-60 really fast then yea by all means the GS 2G spyder is a great car and all 3G versions are great cars The GT is quick it has some pep , and low end Tq since it is a V6. The GST is quick and has pep as well but no low end tq it comes alive as the turbo spools up, however the GST is the least reliable of all of these choices