New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

just joined

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Default just joined

hey all! hope this is somewhere I can have fun?

I do need help! And, is why I found the site!

My new acquisition, a 1990 Eclipse GS 2.0, decided it doesn't want to fire off!

It started pinging on me, and naturally figured bad gas! I refilled with 91 to mix with the 1/4 tank of 87 that I felt was the culprit, but, it hasn't helped.

So, I bought new wires, plugs, fuel filter, and air filter, installed it all, and drove to work, a 80+ mile round trip, and the pinging continued!

The next morning I drove to my early morning job, a 16 mile trek, and when I went to leave for my PM job, she decided she wouldn't fire off!

I've tried a few resisatance tests by the book! "Haynes" and thought that my ignition was bad along with the power transistor(ignition control module).

Well, $215 later, she still won't fire off! I've got fuel pressure.

The ECM, per the book, doesn't have LED's to code read, instead, I have to use a analog multimeter and count the sweeps of the needle to determine what the trouble codes may be??

The little car was running well until the pinging, and now won't fire off!

I've never owned a mitsubishi, and am beginning to think I shouldn't? However, I do like it to this point, drives nice, runs well when it does. Good on gas, 28/gal so far.
I've been giving it some TLC, new shock, new axle, dampers for the gate, speakers that were blown, scrubbed her down and prettied her up as well as she'll be without body work and paint!

So, if someone can steer me in the right direction, or can detail similar experiences and remedies, I'll be much obliged!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Default RE: just joined

Well i dont know much about mitsubishi's yet, BUT welcome to the site! There are alot of people here that know what they are talking about im sure someone can help you!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM

By fire off, you mean start?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Could just be lifters...

**** yeah we have fun here.

Welcome!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:07 PM

[X(]yeah, abolutely, it won't start!

Irritates the heck out of me, I need the mileage it provides, being I just started a job in L.A. county that's 80+ miles roundtrip, and we all know the gas gouging we're getting!

It's a 1990, first generation, I've come to learn, had 79,600 original miles on it, and was running fairly well until now!

Engine cranks, I checked for spark, and it seemed weak on #3, and why I replaced the ingnition coil, and with the resistance test AutoZone did for me, as well as doing it myself per the Haynes book I have for the car.
The "power transisitor" (ignition control module) cost more than the coil. I followed the test steps the book discribed, and both items seemed to be culprits, but, no such luck!
I intend to try the ECM troubleshoot to see if I can determine what stored codes it may have in it!
Otherwise, I'll have to take it in to someone with more skills than I! Doggone it!

I only paid $1400 for the car, and put new tires on it, a new left front axle, left rear shock, and now, new ignition wires, fuel filter, air filter, ingnition coil and module along with a pair of three way speakers for the rear to the tune of about a gran total of $2000.

I'll be a happy camper once its running again, and hopefully, some of you more skilled , knowledgeable folks can aide in my grief?

Cars are enjoyable, but, there, least most, are the absolute worst investment there is! They cost too much new, lose their value too quickly, and cost plenty to repair/maintain!
But, as we all know, its real difficult to be without one!

I still can't believe the manufacturer didn't use a ECM that has LED's for code reading![:@]