New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Looking to pick up an EVO

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Default Looking to pick up an EVO

I'm looking to pick up an EVO soon but just are'nt sure. I'm in love with the car itself, but I'm not exactly sure if it's the right fit for me. If you wouldn't mind, I'm looking at an 2003 White Evo. I was just wondering, is it extremely important to get the car tuned ASAP. Also, I hear EVO tranny's are pretty weak and you must be extra careful with them. Last question, I also hear EVO clutches are especially sensitive, is that true?

Thanks,
zAiN

Old 03-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Default RE: Looking to pick up an EVO

first i just wanna welcome u to the site and just say that getting an Evo would be a awsome choice. I don't know much about the tranny or clutch cause i don't have an Evo yet but u'll defiantly find people who do on here.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

The evo trannies are fine its the transfer case that could potential be an issue, btu as long as your not doing 7k launches all day youll be fine. The clutches have been known to go quickly but once again its all in how you drive it. You dont beat the **** out of it youll be fine. I am not sure what you mean by gettting the car tuned. If you mean tune up, i guess that wouldnt hurt depending on mileage, but i dont think its necessary. If you mean tuning like the fuel system, then that is totally different. But that is more of a mod than a neccessity. But it is definetly where alot of the hidden power in that car lies.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:10 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Ok since I know this subject pretty well. The Trannys are 100% fine the transfer cases are fine the clutches are fine. When you start modding the clutch becomes the weakest link I still have the stock clutch nearing 30K and I am around 300WHP stock is 248WHP. The transfer case and clutch can break if you like dropping the clutch at high RPMs from a stop so just dont launch the car all the time

as for tuneing it. Dont tune it untill you get mods you want. stock a tune will get you a big gain but if you buy and exhaust after you have tuned then you need to re tune it. Unless you can tune it yourself it is best to wait. I have mine tuned useing an SAFCII and AEM UEGO Wideband o2 did it myself really easy and huge power gain. but I also am running 21PSI stock settles at 16PSI I have full exhaust 3 in all the way back and I have an intake.

If you are going to plain on a mail in reflash for tuneing it then I would suggest buyinh a fuel pump full exhaust intake and boost controller and guage before you mail it out that will keep you happy for a while

Old 04-01-2006, 06:58 AM

definatly get an evo, what else other than STI can run 13's with 4 adults and a canoe on the roof? lol 911 spanker for half the
price with some mods. Get an intake, Blitz intercooler kit, and a "3 inch downpipe/full exaust, boost gauge, and then tune it,
thats the best wat to go...

P.S. when you say 16 psi, do you mean with the 14.7pis in atmosphere included, or 16psi on top of that, cause that would realy make the car run at 30 PSI..i guess your going with the atmosphere+ compression of turbo...
/\
basicaly what im saying is that if atmosphere pressure was 0, the turbo would booost it a certain amount, but if the air is already under
pressure, the turbo raises it the same amount, but the actual "boost" is higher...
/\
so im confused... /\
/\
EDIT: lol, "PIS" .................................................. .

Old 04-01-2006, 09:26 AM

no it pulls to 19PSI and settles down at 16 iinstantly. that is 1.3PSI over atmosphereic pressure... IN other words stock runs 1.1 Bars of boost right now I am running 1.4/1.45 Bars of boost with is 20.5PSI or around 21PSI