New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

need advice on mods for 97 eclipse gs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 02:20 AM
Default need advice on mods for 97 eclipse gs

can someone help me get more hp out of my eclipse besides turbo.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Default RE: need advice on mods for 97 eclipse gs

the usual... Intake, header, exhaust. that will get you going. after that, fuel system, internals... but if you are going to go turbo, watch out for what you buy, cause your intake and header will become obsolete if you turbo

Old 06-21-2004, 09:45 PM

what kind of hp should i be looking at and what will be the difference in the intakes. and another question i ordered a magnaflow cat back what kind of sound should i expect and hp and do i need to get high flow cat. thanks

Old 06-22-2004, 09:52 AM

To know what gain in hp you would get you would have to get the car dyno tested. [sm=smiley16.gif]

Old 06-22-2004, 06:34 PM

Man...don't worry about what tone you're going to get from your exhaust system. Let me be a voice of reason, if you invest in a good product, you won't be buzzing around the block sounding like a weed wacker. Some of the best exhaust systems on the market are NOT the loudest ones....sure they are pretty throaty and have a nice growl, but get away from that.
Intake/Exhaust/Headers/suspension & tires...no they don't improve HP, but you'd be damned if you can have a better launch than your competitors! Internal work is a biggie, fuel managment...the list goes on and on. I've been through my 2nd DSM now, the first was a 97 now my current 96....both n/t's, but this time i'm going to take the plunge w/a turbo. I realize that the "you should've purchased a gst/x" argument might come up, but the mere satisfaction of building my own system intrigues me.
Check DSMtuners for good info...ell 'em Phil aka 97dsmbishi sent cha...that's like an extended family for me over there.
:thumb:
Phil

Old 06-24-2004, 04:52 PM

hey 97dsm.. you are right about the whole doin it yourself thing.. its always great being able to see what you do to your car, know what it is, and know what its going to do.. instead of having someone else put it on so you can LOOK at it.. BUT, as you also mentioned.. buying a gst/x issue.. the only thing I have to say about that is that since they are MADE to have a turbo, they are going to perform better.. just because of that fact. the 4g63 engine vs the 420a.. its just so much stronger. if you are about going all out and upgrading the internals and all of that, MORE POWER TO YA! cause then you will smoke my *** (GSX) any day. I don't have the money to upgrade all that yet. Im one of those "looks" guys too. I go back and forth with mods.. engine, dress up... I just blew $4000 on the new bomex kit.. looks sick as hell, but hurt the pocket book.. I could have been pushin 350-400hp with $4000 under the hood, but it'll get there eventually!

Old 06-30-2004, 05:14 PM

yeah, 97dsmbishi is right, building the whole thing yourself gives you much more satisfaction. and on the intake and headers, i would not recommend you buying them if you plan on getting a turbo kit in the future,because that would just be a waste of money. Well right now, Hahn Racecraft has a direct bolt on for the non turbo eclipse that will you put you at 225 hp (1.7 seconds faster than the GST in the 1/4 mile), and thats running on a completely stock eclipse, even the exhaust. Then you could get their upgrade to a stage II for $800 which will give you an intercooler and all the piping, and put you at 275 hp. Well you can read all about their 500 hp RS on their site ( HahnRacecraft.com ). The only thing else i can say is if you do get a turbo, make sure to get all the essentials....Blow Off Valve, Boost Gauge, Turbo Timer, ect. and for exhaust, listen to 97dsmbishi, you should get the best exhaust that suites your turbo kit and will allow the most airflow, not the loudest one.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:45 AM

well im not wanting the loud exhaust just performance. what kind of hp can u get without using turbo. my car has a lot of miles like 200,000 and i know if i put boost on it it is doomed.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:12 AM

Well if you get CAI, HEaders and exhaust, you can expect +20 hp, but all depends on what brand and everything, it'll be hard reaching the 200's w/o a turbo, but i wouldnt put a turbo on your car if you have 200,000 miles on it.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 AM

Agreed....IMHO, I'd say motor & tranny would have to be swapped for low mileage units....that's probably in the $2500-$3k area for both in decent condition...then all your upgrades...ouch, that's ALOT!
Think it through first.
Peace.
Phil

Quick Reply: need advice on mods for 97 eclipse gs