New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New member, advice needed.... (very long post)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Default New member, advice needed.... (very long post)

I wanted to make a complaint regarding the overall very poor service I had received at Mitsubishi of Napleton, IL. I recently purchased a new 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution from this establishment, and while I am pleased with the car, I unfortunately cannot attest anything remotely favorable about this dealership. I completely regret purchasing the car here and dealing with these dishonest and disrespectful people.

Prior to this, I had held Mitsubishi in a very high regard. I had done a lot of research on the car and various dealerships in the area, and felt that from early interactions and considerations with Napleton Mitsubishi, they were a good choice choice.

How wrong I was.

I wanted to highlight three main problems I encountered at this Mitsubishi:

1.) I felt discriminated and profiled early on during the transaction. Right when I walked in the door, I knew what I wanted: The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. I wasn’t greeted warmly, for when I asked for a test drive, the Sales Representative had questioned my motives and had profiled me: He had told me that “These cars are only for those who are really interested and can afford it.” I was taken aback by this, but had asserted my seriousness by telling him that I wanted to see the vehicle, was interested in test-driving the car, and had showed my overall intent in purchasing one.

The sales representative had then questioned my ability to purchase the car, even prior to seeing it. He interrogated me, asking how much I would be able to pay monthly. I was growing increasingly annoyed with this salesperson, but because I was serious about the car, I decided to continue to show my interest.

Later, salesperson then asked me to leave a down payment of $500 for the car. I was a bit puzzled by this, but was manipulated with his reply, “You made us work, if you want the car, it’s no big deal. It’s like going to a hotel; we’ll hold the money. If you don’t like the deal on Monday, just walk away and we’ll give it back.” Feeling somewhat trustful with his increasingly favorable impression of me (no doubt because of my compliance with his pressing of the matter), I agreed to this verbal agreement.

Monday came, and I had phoned Napleton Mitsubishi because I was not feeling completely interested with the situation. The salesrep told me that I cannot get the money back several times, getting me increasingly frustrated and disappointed. It was only until I had talked to the manager by the name of Bruno, after insisting several times regarding the return of my money that I would be able to get it back… but only after I had driven back there (I do not live that close to this dealership). Again, I had felt discriminated and at a disadvantage. However, because I was serious about this transaction, I had agreed to go meet them.

Bruno ended up being very friendly when I returned, but I felt like I was being taken advantage of. He didn’t openly offer to return the down payment I had given, but said instead that he would make me a good deal on the car to purchase it. I became tired and irritated, but in the end it was a being a satisfactory offer, and I had forgotten about the down payment and decided to purchase the car. Although the transaction went through, I still felt discriminated against and was feeling some remorse because of this.

2.) The service I had received during the actual purchase and afterwards was extremely dissatisfactory. A few days after the purchase of the car, the vehicle broke down and wouldn’t start. I called my dealership to ask about this. I was dealing with another salesrep that was appointed to me by the manager. He didn’t offer to help me outright, and had given me the number of Mitsubishi instead, putting more burden on me to find relief. I was able to start the car after trying the backup key, however.

I was told that my vehicle needed to be serviced and reprogrammed. I was disappointed in this, considering it was a brand new car not only a few days old. I work daily and work hard. I had politely inquired about a loaner vehicle to use while my car was being serviced (as I was told it was a long job). The salesperson was very reluctant in agreeing to this, saying that he needed to talk to his manager about it first. It was only after more insisting that I was able to obtain confirmation regarding this. I was very frustrated with this service.

Nevertheless, I arrived at the dealer, but was given a car in very poor condition. For instance, the interior had a very offensive odor, so offensive that it was interfering with my ability to concentrate on the car. I was not sure if I had been given this specific car on purpose, but I feel that I could have received better. My disgust with the dealership seemed to be growing rapidly.

In the middle of all this, I was constantly reminded by the salesrep that I would be contacted with a survey of my experience here. Clearly, I was not happy, even after all my effort in traveling here several times to try to remedy things and be a good customer, but it didn’t happen. I had informed the survey that I was satisfied with the car, even with its recent problems, but not with the service, and that I would not return there again to purchase another car (after all, up to this point I had been discriminated and profiled, and only received proper service that I had received and would have expected at other places without such insistance). It soon seemed that the dealership was getting even with me, because I had given them poor remarks on this survey. I was only telling the truth in my experiences, so I found this very unprofessional and in poor taste.

…

When I had purchased the vehicle, I also ordered the mudguard accessory. I was told that they would come in quickly. So, I went back to the dealership recently to check on something that I was uncertain about on the dashboard, and I had also asked about the mudguards, as it had been quite a bit and I wans’t being updated on the status of this order. They had informed me that they didn’t know anything, and nothing further to reassure me. I was annoyed by this lack of commitment and service. Then, later in the week I called again to ask about these mudguards. I was again told virtually nothing, and that they didn’t know. Growing increasingly impatient and untrusting, I had decided to cancel the order. I was told this wasn’t possible, but again, after my insisting and reasoning, was told that it would only be able to happen if I had driven again to the dealership. Again, to show my seriousness in the overall situation, I again drove to the dealership to cancel my accessory order. Little did I know this was a grave mistake.

3.) I returned to the dealership to cancel my order, but left feeling insulted, used, and disrespected. It was an absurdly fitting culmination for my experience with the car thus far. The manager, Bruno, immediately confronted me asking me why I am canceling my mudguard order, if I had already purchased it. Well, just like any other thing bought in the history of capitalism and consumerism, things bought can be returned. I didn’t know that this dealership was operating in a different time and place. I had politely informed Bruno that I had been asking about the mudflaps and the status of them for several days, had already paid for them, but wasn’t being reassured or given further information. I felt like I had paid for nothing, so I wanted to cancel my order.

Bruno instantly became hostile and disrespectful. He had bluntly and rudely confronted me, saying, “I am not happy selling you the car. The only time you will get your money back is when the cashier is open. It’s closed.” This bothered me because I was here recently to get money back, at the same time, even when the cashier was closed. However, under the same circumstances I was unable to again receive money? It is interesting to see how conditional and inconsistent these men are.

Bruno then threatened me to come back on Monday, and that he didn’t want to see my face again. He told me that he shouldn’t have seen the car, and that I should have had “found another dealer to stroke.” I was completely flabbergasted and taken aback by this, as I felt that I didn’t do anything throughout this whole transaction that wasn’t normal or expected from a consumer. I made an effort each time to get things resolved, but was returned with discrimination, poor service, and a lack of respect. I am very disappointed with this overall transaction and have remorse for even putting myself in the situations that I did. If this is the service that Mitsubishi is offering to their customers, what do I expect from the vehicle?

I would like to make it clear and evident that nobody should be demeaned and put in the position that I was, and I would like to know that this will not happen in the future from this dealership. I came in with good and friendly intentions, but from beginning to end I was treated disrespectfully and put at a disadvantage. I have never been treated more rudely in my life, and I hate that I had dealt with it just for the car. In fact, I don’t believe it was worth it. I cannot say anything good about this dealership at all, and regret ever even considering them. Never again will I consider Mitsubishi.

Even recently my FAST Keyfobs had malfunctioned again, but I really do not want to go back to this dealership and be harrassed again.

I had contacted Mitsubishi Corporate but they were unable to help me, telling me that they were unable to discipline the dealership because they were an independent body? What the hell? I do not know what I can do at this moment, BBB? Any ideas?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Rob
Banned
Default RE: New member, advice needed.... (very long post)

Welcome to the forums.