New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New member and new Mitsu Driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Default New member and new Mitsu Driver

Hello everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Richard and I'm new to the community. I figured it would be interesting to get to know some fellow Mitsubishi owners and perhaps learn a few things.

There's a fairly funny story as to how we became Mitsubishi owners. We contemplated what vehicle we should purchase for quite a while, but began to seriously research the possibilities this week and determined what we could afford. It came down to several different vehicles. Here's where the funny story begins. We originally planned on getting a Honda Fit. So my wife called a dealer in Tallahassee and spoke with a salesman who said yes to her question "do you have any 5-speeds?" Of course, on Earth, the question "do you have any 5-speeds" usually translates to mean "do you have any manual transmission Honda Fits?" Unfortunately, he apparently assumed she meant "5-speed automatic." Not sure what planet he's from.

So we got off work early so we could drive to Tallahassee only to have to wait 15 minutes for the salesman who talked to her on the phone to finally come out side. Next, he said he would get us a key (another 10 minute wait). During this wait, we walked to the blue Fit parked not far from where we were standing after he had indicated that this was the 5-speed. Upon looking in the window, we both noticed it was an automatic. We were both confused at this point because from what we could tell, there weren't any other Fits in sight. As he finally came back outside, I asked him if he thought that was the 5-speed manual (at this point I was already suspecting he misunderstood what we had originally requested). He said that it was an automatic to which I replied, "oh...that's not good." He ended up saying that he thought when my wife asked if they had any 5-speeds that it meant automatic. He offered to look for one in manual and see if he could get it transported to us. We said okay and left.

The cool part is that we had noticed a Mitsubishi dealer next door when we first pulled into the Honda dealer. My wife looked at me and said, "look what's over there." We both jokingly said, "yeah, it would be awesome to get a Lancer instead." As it turned out, that's precisely what we ended up doing! We drove next door, talked to a salesman who ended up offering us a reasonable deal and after a couple hours, the entire process was over and we were on our way.

We ended up purchasing a brand new 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer ES (a real 5-speed of course...haha). We love it. It's really awesome that this was the car that we were saying to ourselves would be the cooler and funner car to own as we were going to purchase a Fit. Honestly, I'm grateful the Honda dealer didn't have any to our liking in stock b/c it enabled us to get a funner car!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New member and new Mitsu Driver

Welcome to the forums!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Welcome

Finally someone that doesn't think driving a Tard-O-Matic is the same as a 5spd.

You are my #1 n00b

Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Rob
Banned

Welcome to the forums.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks all for making me feel welcome

Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM

Sounds like a happy ending haha - Welcome to the forums!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

Screw the Fit