New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

oil leaking everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Question oil leaking everywhere

Ok, so I've got a 96 eclipse, and just recently it started leaking oil all over the place. On top of my valve cover out of the header's downpipe. And even leaking right before the catalytic converter. Its never done this before, but I'm tired of getting different outrageous ideas whenever I ask people. And when the oil leaks from my headers they start to smoke a little bit. Does anybody have any genuine idea as to what may be causing this problem??? Any idea is greatly appreciated, Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 AM

welcome Keyz, i actually have a very similar problem on my 3000gt, i have leaks on both of my valves and upper intake manifold, i just bought gaskets for them today and having them put on by a friend of mine, but my leaks are very tiny so i think it'll be fine. as for the smoking part, im gonna take a guess but most likely burning oil would be the obvious assumption...but i'll let you know if by changing the gaskets fixes the problem.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:00 AM

I am asuming you have the 4G63 engine 2.0L DOHC, sounds like the gasket for your valve cover is bad, go to your local auto parts store and purchase another one, not hard to replace, just dont over torque the bolts and it will have rubber o-ring style gaskets to go around the spark plug holes. The smoke is from oil dripping down your block and getting on the exhaust, nothing to be alarmed about if its just a little oil, however if too much gets on the cat which is directly in the path of where the oil would leak to, it could cause a fire. Here is what your gasket looks like:

Last edited by DigitalEclipse; 06-28-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 AM

Thanks guys...those were the kinda answers I was lookin for. So if I replace the gasket for my valve cover that should stop oil from leaking down my block right???

Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM

yes it most likely should, man i can't wait for my buddy to get off work already to change mine lol...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 PM

So I sold my eclipse to a guy I work with, but he didn't want it anymore so I took back...turns out he took different parts of the engine apart, including most of the gaskets, and all the bolts that hold on my valve cover. So that explains why I had oil all over the place. He lost all the gaskets and bolts, what a nice guy

Old 06-30-2011, 12:25 AM

Wow, that really sucks, that is why AS-IS always gets posted on all the vehicles i sell

Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Also...and I know this is a little off topic but, does anybody have or know someone who has an availible front bumper for a 96 eclipse? This should probably be posted somewhere else but I figure since I'm already on this thread I give it a try.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Your best bet is a junk yard. Second, eBay.

Next time, spend the money on a Haynes or Chiltons manual. That way you have a guide to fix what ever it is you need to fix.

The hardest part is identifying what's broken, which is why we're here. Get yourself some good hand tools, you're going to have many days like that owning an Eclipse.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 PM

Alright, so I ordered my valve cover gasket...should have it in about a week or so. I'm gunna take off my downpipe and drain it of all the oil that's collected inside.

Quick Reply: oil leaking everywhere